1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multimedia sound problem (volume doesn't display)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hebert Souza, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Hebert Souza

Hebert Souza New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi guys, new here in the forum, forgive my english, I'm from Brazil.

Two months ago, my Prius 2018 got a really heavy rain and the sound just died.

The crazy thing is, when I hit the volume (up or down), the volume doesn't appear on the multimedia.

Anyone here had the same problem? Any tips on how to fix it?

2. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    If it is a JBL system you might be able to make your Prius ready and hold down the power on/off button for 5 seconds or so. This will reboot the unit. That should happen during a regular power on/off of the vehicle too, so that might not help. Only other thing I can think of is something getting down inside the headphone jack, which on my vehicle is integral with the USB auxiliary socket, and obstructing the speaker or headphone option of that socket. But the multimedia screen would still show volume changes. Did the "heavy rain" get inside the vehicle?

3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Clarification needed, the power button you hold down for 5 seconds or so is the infotainment system power button.

4. Hebert Souza

Hebert Souza New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, some water get into the car, all the floor was wet, somehow.

And the 5 seconds hold on I've already tried but nothing happened.

5. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Do what you can to dry the vehicle out. That may be the cause if water gets into the MUX signaling harness. Have you checked any fuses yet? Not just visually but with a continuity tester.

6. Hebert Souza

Hebert Souza New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Didn't check de fuses. Could it be that? Because when I press the volume button, up or down, it doesn't appear the bar in the multimedia.

It's really strange.

7. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't think we have established yet if your entertainment system is original equipment or aftermarket. To my knowledge the OEM is JBL. Anything else will have different integration schemes into the existing vehicle signal and electrical system. I know of two fuse blocks in the engine compartment and there may be some more in the interior under the dashboard. I don't think a water intrusion short would be enough to blow a fuse, but it sure could interrupt a low voltage signal path. Did you dry out the interior yet? If it were my vehicle I would likely have removed just about everything from the interior down to bare floor, traced out the wiring harness, and cycled all the connector plugs and sockets. Big job.

8. Hebert Souza

Hebert Souza New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey man, just giving you and update and closure....

The problem was the module, I bought another on internet, changed it and the sound came back !

I want to thank you for the tips, it was really helpful !

Problem solved.