1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multiple coolant codes + hybrid battery no charge; cause?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RyanGalliford, Jan 25, 2024.

1. RyanGalliford

RyanGalliford New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

The other day my wife went to the grocery store and on the way home the red triangle and christmas tree of dash lights came on. We had experienced this before, in 2017, when our hybrid battery went kaput. Had it replaced by the great folks at Atomic Auto, and we were back on the road. This time, she was able to drive the 1 mile to get the car home, and based on the MIL, MFD icon of car with exclamation point, and one bar of battery shown - in addition to the triangle - I thought for sure the replacement hybrid battery had given up.

Pulled the codes today and turns out, highly likely not the battery at all. It coughed up this mess:

- P0505 - Idle control
    - P1116 - Coolant temp sensor out of range
    - P1121 - Coolant control valve position sensor stuck
    - P1123 - Coolant control valve position sensor high
    - P1150 - Coolant path clog up for coolant heat storage system
    - P3191 - Engine does not start

First thing I did was check fluids, and everything is spot on. Have a little over 220,000 miles and it eats a little oil, but I keep an eye on it. After pulling the codes, I cranked it up and it ran fine. Out of curiosity I cleared the codes, ran again and it started charging the hybrid battery normally; let it run till we were at 50%+/- battery graphically.

When I started the car, I did hear some slight gurgling around my feet/under the hood that I had never heard before. It cleared up quickly and didnt come back. Flow in the inverter reservoir is normal; bubbles go by at maybe a half-inch per second like they always have, and the inverter coolant pump hums/vibrates normally.

All roads seem to point to the coolant control valve, but would it cause the engine no start and subsequent no charge of the hybrid battery?

Thanks for the help!

- Ryan

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi... I live an hour south of Seattle if you need in person help I might or might not be available.

Basically, you have two problems. The first one is easy, you just replace the three way coolant valve, a $40 part if you don't buy OEM and takes about 1-1/2 hours to replace. The second problem is something is wrong with your engine and it's likely the hybrid battery was drained down trying to start an engine that wouldn't start. With the right charger, it's easy to recharge your hybrid battery pack. But figuring out what's wrong with the engine and fixing it needs to be done first. Don't worry about coolant valve till later. People have ignored that problem without much issue until they find time to replace it.

3. RyanGalliford

RyanGalliford New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    Thanks for the swift response! Ill definitely take you up on the offer to help if I cant get it worked out.

I hadnt thought about it as though the coolant issue was secondary, and primary(maybe even isolated?) was the battery low due to engine no start. Ill check the trouble areas of P3191 more closely and see what I can find.

Thanks!
    - Ryan

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  5. RyanGalliford

RyanGalliford New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks yall!

Cleaned the throttle body and air flow sensor last weekend and everything seems to be running good again. Used the q-tip method with throttle body cleaner as recommended by a post here on the forum. Image below of how dirty it was; now clean, but of course forgot to take a photo : \

- Ryan

[edit: apparently I cannot add a photo until Ive posted more? just imagine the tb having oil residue all over it. Will post an image once I can for future reference]

Brian1954 likes this.
  6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think you need 5 posts before you can upload.

On the throttle body you want to remove all the black buildup on the bore - right where the throttle blade is when it's closed.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good show. I also would have guessed the P0505 was the most likely clue to the P3191, and the cooling-system codes were more another issue to address on another day. Your results seem to bear that out.