1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multiple driver MPG tracking?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AVOID92X, Jul 10, 2007.

1. AVOID92X

AVOID92X Junior Member

We just picked up our car last night, so NOOB question

I don't think this is available, but I wanted to confirm >>>

Can I track Driver 1 and Driver 2 (or more) Average MPG's?
    I want to beat the wife's mpg and start a fight about how to drive efficiently. :D

How many different logs can I hold for Average MPG? I can't figure out how to switch from the current one on the graph. Is that Avg MPG on the graph for total Average of lifetime, since last reset, last tank of gas?

2. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AVOID92X @ Jul 10 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]476094[/snapback]</div>
    There is an option for this, but it's costly.

You have to buy a second prius.. :)

It's worth it just so you can win the dueling mpg war.

If you want real numbers over time, track gas receipts at the pump. The mpg reading on the mfd is good if you want to be within +-5 mpg at any given time. Most people who care would rather be much more accurate than that. On a single car, I'm not sure how you could compare one driver to the other with any accuracy.

Even if you got another car, the odds that you'd each always stick to the right car are not good.

Congrats on your new Prius, enjoy.

3. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AVOID92X @ Jul 10 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]476094[/snapback]</div>
    You can track the driver's mpg but it's not that easy. You have to write down how many miles each makes and what the mpg reading is at each start and end of each trip. Then you can figure out the mpg each recent trip has achieved.

You could also drive each tank exclusively and compare tanks.

B)

4. AVOID92X

AVOID92X Junior Member

FWIW, this feature should be built into the car. (IMO) Toyota, are you listening?

From what I can tell, I only get ONE avg. MPG display. Is this correct?

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AVOID92X @ Jul 10 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]476162[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. The average is lifetime for the car unless reset or the 12V battery is disconnected. The miles will reset on every fill up over a few gallons. Don't get stressed or freak out over the "Guess Gauge". Think about buying gas at 2 pips. Buy gas at 1 pip. Buy gas NOW at the flashing pip. Don't run out of gas and run the traction battery down until the car won't move. Enjoy the car.

"The Flashing Pip" sounds like a good name for a pub where the Prius group meets. :)

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My first thought was to have you reset the average every time you switch drivers. Of course, that would mean writing down the mileage every time you stop driving and hitting the [Reset] button. I don't know about you, but I would grow tired of that very quickly. And that one time you forget, the whole tracking thing will be called into question.

But then there's an issue. Every experienced Prius driver knows that the first five minutes of driving will be the worst. This means that if you drive somewhere (let's say the airport) and then your wife drives home, her mileage would be better. There might be many situational ways to work around that such as making her drive to and from the airport, but once there is an unavoidable situation in which one driver gets the warmed-up vehicle, the mileage tracking thing will be called into question again.

My advice is to simply track them combined and view it as a joint venture and team building experience.

Don't worry about starting a fight over who gets better mileage. That will come naturally. Good Luck!

7. AVOID92X

AVOID92X Junior Member

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Three things I would like to see >>>

1) Multiple MPG tracking >>> 6 sounds like a good number (Driver 1, driver 2, Trip 1, Trip 2, Lifetime, +1)
    2) Lifetime graphing of MPG. I don't like it resetting each time you turn off the car.
    3) Downloadable Trip data >>> How about Bluetooth or a simple SD card slot?