1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multiple Wait List

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kdmorse, Dec 14, 2005.

1. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Had an interresting conversation with a salesman today - apparently they're getting wise to folks putting themselves on multiple lists, and then takeing the first one that comes in. They claim it's screwing with their inventory - which we know is no big deal - they're going to sell every one that lands on the lot and they know it.

The warning to me was that the dealearships are now shareing lists, and anyone found on more than one wait list, will get bumped to the back of the line. I don't know if there's any truth to it, or if it's just idle hot air, but I thought I'd pass it along.

Not sure if I'm going to heed the warning, or if I'm going to hop on a few lists. If I do, I may intentionally tag a smattering of dealerships a greated distance away, instead of a few in the local area.

I've been quoted a delivery of arround January 15th. However, based on his lack of knowledge regarding what they're getting when, and the fact that he knew they were getting no #7s or #8s in 2005, I can't see how that date could have come from anywhere other than straight out his nice person.

All I need is to get one before my current car dies. However - my current car has one hell of a head start...

-Ken

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah right... The dealers are sharing the names of people who want to buy a car from them with their competitors who might also want to sell a car to these people. Are they giving them addresses and phone numbers too? It's not required, but it'd be mighty nice of them. That way their competitors don't have to look them up in the phone book.

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Pure fabrication, by a critter who likes to make things up.

Customers have been getting on multiple lists for popular cars forever, and dealers have known it for that long.

Dealers have an antidote, should they choose to employ it. It's called a deposit.

It'll be a cold day in hell when dealers compare lists. They have more to lose (a potential REAL customer, "stolen" from their list, then contacted by that dealer) than they have to gain (removing a nuisance, which can be done with a phone call and/or deposit).

They play their hand and we play ours. The newer phenomenon is simply that the internet is empowering consumers to play a better and more widespread game, as it is empowering millions of people in thousands of ways. Dealers resent that. I don't blame them; I would if I were a dealer. Their relative importance in "the process" has been seriously undercut since the first list of invoice prices was posted for all to see. Some dealers have adapted, most haven't. And so it goes.