1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mushroom foraging risks

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Mar 21, 2024.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Standalone thread instead of putting in the large one I created for most comments.

I have no idea whether anyone here consumes mushrooms from 'non-commercial' sources. But if so there are serious risks and sometimes subtle:

Mushrooming Risk: Unreliable A.I. Tools Generate Mushroom Misinformation - Public Citizen

Such has always been the case, but as link shows, artificial intelligence doing photo ID from the 'cap' is messing things up.
    ==
    More words: in US there are about 5 commercial mushroom species, Europe about 10 (I guess) and here in SW China, about 50. In the last group, there are mis identified mushrooms for sale. Family member ate some of the bad ones, and even after cooking, was seriously ill in hospital for several days. He is young healthy adult. I'm a bit out of warranty myself, and if I had eaten what he did, I'm pretty sure I would have died.

Link also says about 50 die in US annually. That is not a lot, but you would not want to be among the >7000 harmed per year by eating wrong.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Amazing the risks some will take in order to eat certain foods.
    Asia appears especially susceptible, but I could be mistaken

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A quick goog seems to offer no simple answer to whether cooking should even be expected to help. Seems like there may be some mushrooms that might be made more edible by such means, many that are not, some that may be made more toxic, and some that may sicken you from the fumes while cooking.

Well, I guess that boils down to "should not be expected to help".

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Can lab mice be reliably used to test mushrooms?

Bob Wilson

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm only a couple of dozen miles from the mushroom capital of America. Always great mushrooms in the grocery stores and farmers markets, and the prices are always low too.

That level of quality and convenience hasn't left me with much urge to gather wild.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I get a variety growing in the yard almost yearly, some years I get multiple growth cycles per season. I've always been curious about identification, and there are some youtubes about it and some apps that can help identify. Spore counts are one the first things I learned about, but it's not one of those hobbies that is easy to learn.
    Farming edibles is probably the easiest way to get a handle on what constitutes a non poisonous variety of shroom, it the look a likes that are the real fun,,,, NOT !

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Adding to the foraging risk in the US is that the range of the death cap is expanding.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any food foraging you need to be cautious. When I was young and less cautious, walking in the woods I noticed something grean-and-leafy, munched a bit, explaining how it was just like lettuce. About an hour later my throat started constricting. Luckily not bad; that wised me up.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "Can lab mice be reliably used to test mushrooms?" First thought is that any mammal runs very similar metabolic programs, and little ones are cheap and expendable. But in fact I have no idea. There certainly are many mushrooms that have not been reported in medical literature, yea or nay. It is certainly not that case that all mammals are metabolically identical. For example, dogs that eat chocolate get messed up.

"in the US is that the range of the death cap is expanding" Yes, things are changing both in terms of climate, and tree species distributions that host problem species. Also one can read of tragedies where people moved internationally and their homeland knowledge of safe mushrooms failed them in new locations.

@Leadfoot J. McCoalroller please visit the coal mines now used to grow Agaricus. We need a report.

A PA town produces 68 percent of the country's mushrooms - Keystone Edge - What's Next & Best in Pennsylvania - Growth, Innovation, and Community News

==
    If one attends a meeting covering this topic one is sure to hear a standard quote "Any mushroom is edible ... once"

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I had four or five different mushrooms in tonight's Really Quite Bland Americanized Chinese Stir-Fry. I have to do them that way for my father; he just can't handle the O.G.

Ginger and garlic cooked in sesame oil followed by snow peas, white button, baby bella, oyster and shiitake mushrooms, carrots, green onions, sweet onions, daikon radish, cabbage, dou chi bean paste, bell pepper, celery, some salty Kikkoman gloop in a bottle and 350g of lean beef in small slices.

Family approved; they will keep me another day.

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It don't sound half bad. "Gloop" .. I know of what you speak. If chili is off menu, cumin seed powder. instant coffee powder. Pnut butter unless allergies countervene.

For anything towards sweet, remove cardamom from pods and smash those seeds. Everyone will know cinnamon, but this is a confuser.

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I did a side of spicy dan dan mien that worked pretty well, though I overcooked the noodles slightly and they got a little slimy. I used some of the same beef, through a very fine grinder attachment on the Kitchenaid. Love 1940s tech.

Very challenging to find the sui mi ya cai around here but perseverance paid off and we get to enjoy some real flavor alongside the gloop. Lots of ma la and sichuan peppercorns in there too.

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    D*mn it! Now I'm hungry.

Bob Wilson

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "sui mi ya cai " pickled mustard greens, You can't DIY that? Or fake it with kimchi?

==
    On the flip side, I routinely pickle cucumbers here because the imported brands locally available are dismal.

mushrooms pickle up well also, especially the coal-mine variety.

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sure I could, but there are bothersome questions of where to leave it during how long of a fermentation.

A coal mine would be good for that, but we are on Pennsylvania's other big landform, no mines handy.

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    For traditional kimchi, answers are 'dig hole in yard' and 'one year' but your Lactobacillus may vary.

Pickling recipes that involve 'starter' acid and time in the fridge are pretty darn easy.

==
    Suitable jars (Ball (TM) over there) are sold as simulations here, not tempered glass, and they can fall part if hit with too hot water. And yet he persists :)