1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Musing about "Trouble Codes"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Jul 18, 2024 at 11:39 AM.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Was reading an older post in the Gen 2 forum and the group consensus was "sorta" we can't answer without the codes.

One brave soul offered an opinion, which turned out correct.

Reminded me of a friend a dozen or more years ago who was having woes with his Camry. I took a look and told him it was his fuel pump. He did not believe me, took it to the dealer and they hemmed and hawed and said they were having trouble because it was old and had no computer to point them in the right direction.

Eventually, he took it to another shop and they replaced the faulty fuel pump.

Hey codes, computers, I get it. Wonderful. But at times....

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The trouble is that acting on guesses can lead to expensive unnecessary parts replacement.
    Sometimes, you do whack the mole though.
    That’s why many of us encourage load testing the 12 volt battery in many instances, cheap low hanging fruit

Trollbait likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There are different ends of the spectrum on opinions and guesses.

One end is the guy who has no real knowledge or hands on experience with specific symptoms of a specific car or piece of equipment, but is happy to provide guidance, right or wrong. If he can't dazzle you with knowledge, he's going to try to baffle you with BS. This guy is very likely going to lead you down a path of gloom with WAGs.

The other end is the guy that has many first-hand hours of troubleshooting and repairing failures of a specific car or piece of equipment. If symptoms are described to him, he's typically a bit careful, but will make recommendations based on how those symptoms match his experience. This guy provides educated WAGs. If not, he's also the guy most likely to tell you he needs more information to develop an accurate answer. He's the guy you want on your side because he's not going to be the guy blowing smoke up your ***.

One thing I've learned over the years is that mechanics are now a dime a dozen. What's rare and extremely valuable is that person in the crowd who understands and comprehends well enough that they can explain how something is expected to work, how it actually works, why it works and can immediately recognize when something abnormal is occurring, however minor. Bonus points for knowing how to fix it and having the drive to fix it.