1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Muslim women and the veil

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Oct 10, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

2. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 10 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]330769[/snapback]</div>
    I can't resist.

This is not nearly so bad as what Bill Clinton and Mark Foley requested their visitors to remove.

Perhaps Mr. Straw has never carried on a meaningful telephone conversation.

This is about as critical as Ashcroft covering up the statues. As long as they aren't sucking on the hem of the veil, I think he'd be able to understand them. Just my guess.....

3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Reminds me of when I used to play basketball with the guys, and they would put me on the "skins" team.... and I kept my shirt on thankyouverymuch!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 10 2006, 02:46 PM) [snapback]330802[/snapback]</div>
    The way I heard it, it was Foley who did the removing. :D

4. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 10 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]330769[/snapback]</div>
    Amazing how you turned "ask" into "required". And this is face-to-veil, not telephone. I think he has a reasonable point and the people raising the stink are the usual muslim "leaders".

- Tom

5. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Oct 10 2006, 02:34 PM) [snapback]330844[/snapback]</div>
    A small point. In the military we had a maxim that said, "The General's wish is the same as a command." When you are in the presence of an august personage and they ask you to do something, you tend to do it, particularly if you are looking for some sort of favor from that personage.

A couple of weeks ago Bush commented that a reporter asking him a question was wearing sunglasses. The way it was put to the reporter, he saw that Bush took it as a slight and offered to remove them. It didn't come to that. Good thing: the guy was blind. Sometimes there are reasons for why people do things. Most of them don't equate with trying to give somebody a hard time. Lighten up.

Britain is having a horrible experience with its Muslims. They can't get work, are pretty well shunned and some are now going around planning bomb attacks. The Straw man has preached "tolerance" in his speeches. But, face-to-veil it fails. This ought to bring them a lot closer together, don't you think?

Actually, a lot of the criticism I'm reading comes from Brits with very un-Muslim sounding names.

- Bob
    An unusual non-Muslim infidel

6. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 10 2006, 06:34 PM) [snapback]330863[/snapback]</div>
    And a lot of the support is from muslim women in the articles I've seen. Try the Yahoo! UK web sites. Similar problem arise with ID photos or driving with a veil on. Acceptance cuts both ways.

- Tom

7. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Oct 10 2006, 05:34 PM) [snapback]330844[/snapback]</div>
    Regardless, I think we still need to be sensitive to religious beliefs.

8. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Oct 10 2006, 02:34 PM) [snapback]330844[/snapback]</div>
    The only person I'd feel bad about talking to on the telephone is TonyPSchaefer. We can tell by his avitar what he would be wearing. Yech!

9. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Oct 10 2006, 04:39 PM) [snapback]330879[/snapback]</div>
    And what about the rest of my points? Muslim, btw, is spelled with a capital letter, unless some sort of disrespect is intended.

10. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 10 2006, 02:06 PM) [snapback]330769[/snapback]</div>
    You've got this wrong. He did not 'require' them to remove anything. He said that the women who wear veils (i.e. completely cover their faces except for the eyes) should 'consider' removing them during an interview.
    It seemed quite a reasonable suggestion but as usual on so many occasions, the media inflated his statement excessively and made it appear to be a major issue. The woman he had in mind was said to have been born in the UK and only recently started wearing a veil so she must have been quite accustomed to not wearing one and one can't help wondering what her reason was for wearing it during an interview with her local MP - her representative in the national parliament.

11. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Oct 11 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]331107[/snapback]</div>
    You make it sound like she's trying to hide something. Perhaps, and this is only speculation, she feels closer to her God by wearing the veil.

A mind is like a parachute. It works better when open.

12. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 11 2006, 02:51 AM) [snapback]331056[/snapback]</div>
    You mean like calling the minister in question "Straw man"?

13. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Oct 11 2006, 07:58 AM) [snapback]331139[/snapback]</div>
    That's right. I capitalized "Straw" and made a sarcastic assessment of the man, both proper. This doesn't slight a whole group of people, just him. Straw has been involved in other dealings that make you wonder.

14. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Oct 11 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]331107[/snapback]</div>
    You're right. If I could edit it, I would. I find it extremely difficult to post without being able to edit.

But the distinction between "required" and "requested" is not my main point. The issue is whether, as Salman Rushdie maintains, he is right to ask this. I think he is. A person can wear whatever clothing they want without bothering me. But I would not have a conversation with someone who hid their face. Much of communication is body language, and I would just not tolerate such an impediment to communication. That is an insult to me. I suppose if they insisted on the veil, i could consider wearing one myself. Then we could disguise our voices and have a lot of fun. Great for good communication. Fortunately, so far, none of my students has come into my office wearing a veil, at least not yet. We will see .....

15. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 11 2006, 12:18 PM) [snapback]331179[/snapback]</div>
    I thought from the tone of your comment with the word "required" that your feelings lay the other way. A good example of misunderstandings that creep in with distance or barriers. I saw a vast gulf between the concepts of "request" and "required" and that is why I responded.

Given the lack of a You-Tube video of Mr. Straw making his request we cannot judge the politeness of his request. In the few articles I've seen in the British press, I have not found any that had a response from one of the women who got his request. The Muslim women that did show up in the press all seemed to have favorable comments.

But I agree with your comments. I would find it a great barrier to talk to someone who could see my face and their's was hidden. Kind of like being on the wrong side of a one way mirror or talking to someone using a security camera where all you have is voice. This is what I mean by sensitivity has to be a two way street. But those opposing Mr. Straw's request don't seem to want to talk about anything except being offended.

- Tom

16. jared2

jared2 New Member

On the other hand, a Muslim woman could have a great career as a bank robber.

17. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 11 2006, 02:46 PM) [snapback]331278[/snapback]</div>
    Anyone dressed in a full burka. Male, female, Muslim or not. Watch out for the die pack. The FBI probably has your post on file already, along with this one.

- Tom

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Out of respect for the religion, and fear that he'll be killed, he should shut up.

Out of respect for the person, he should explain that she has a choice not to be oppressed by her religion.

19. jared2

jared2 New Member

"Out of respect for the religion, and fear that he'll be killed, he should shut up.

Out of respect for the person, he should explain that she has a choice not to be oppressed by her religion"

I'll settle for out of "fear that he'll be killed". Enough reason for me!

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reason enough, for most. But that's not respect. It's fear, and there's a huge difference.