1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Must do maintainence

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Walker1, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was reading the owner's manual regarding maint. It's hazy about replacing items except for oil, oil filter, air filter(s), and tire rotations.

Can someone tell me if & when to replace the coolant(s) and the trans. fluid/filter. Are there any other items I need to know about? Thanks. B)

2. jacaufie

jacaufie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I heard that the engine coolant was good for 100,000 miles. Don't know about the CVT tranny.

One thing I would probably do is flush the brake fluid after 3 years or so. Even on an advanced car like the Prius, brake fluid has an affinity for water and should be changed periodically.

Automakers are going out of their way to make their vehicles 'low maintenance'. Sometimes this is a good thing, other times a careful owner might do more. Still, I bet you could go 100,000 miles just doing the oil, filters and tires.

3. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Apart from the basic 10000/20000 mile or 12/24 month items, the UK service schedule for the NHW11 says:

every 2 years: replace brake fluid
    30000 miles/2 years: check operation of charcoal canister
    30000 miles/3 years: check transmission fluid level
    30000 miles/4 years: replace ICE air filter
    40000 miles/3 years, afterwards 20000/2: replace ICE and inverter coolant
    60000 miles/6 years; check valve clearance using stethoscope
    60000 miles: replace spark plugs
    70000 miles/6 years, afterwards 10000/1: check accessory drive belt
    10 years, afterwards 2: check airbags for corrosion and leakage

4. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The cooling system is factory filled with a long life organic acid coolant (No silcates like the Prestone Green Stuff), and De-Ionized water. It should be good for the full interval as posted near the emissions compliance decal under the hood.

Once the dealer refills, unless they're using premixed fluid, they will dilute the coolant with tap water. You're pretty much stuck with a 2 year max interval after that.

The CVT has no filter that I'm aware of. I changed my fluid almost a year ago when it had around 12,000km on it, and was surprised at how dark the fluid looked. The magnet on the drain plug was full of shavings too. FYI the Toyota WS fluid is a pinkish/red clear fluid straight from the can.

Make sure the dealer doesn't try to sell you a tranny "flush" as it isn't a conventional automatic transmission with bands and clutches. The CVT uses a planetary gearset and a chain to transfer power.

I was going to flush the brake fluid myself, but have come to realize it would be impossible to do without the THHT. The shop manual section on brake fluid replacement is quite involved, so I'll soon take mine in for that major operation. I've never trusted brake fluid in a vehicle longer than 3 years, and like to change/flush, and bleed every year if easy to do.

Don't forget the caliper slide pins on the front disk brakes. If you live in an area by the ocean, or with frequent road salt application in winter, it wouldn't hurt to take the pins out every Spring, clean them, and lightly smear them with synthetic caliper slide pin lubricant. It's easy to do yourself.

6. jacaufie

jacaufie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, there's no such thing as a 'Package 0' but I'm proof that some cars are shipped without any!

The only thing I miss are the side airbags. Other than that, I'm delighted with my car.

Jim

7. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just change the oil and filter and do all the normal checks period. Just make sure all the other, air, A/c ect. filters are regularlly maintained. Everybody is getting too stressed over these scheduleld maintaince things. My Toyota dealer is at least honest and said the Prius tech (who incidently does most of the oil changes) does this stuff anyway on routine services.