1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mustang hits Explorer, guess who wins?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by naterprius, Jul 7, 2006.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Idiot... and it's a royal family too. Not guilty my ***.

Out of curiosity, why were they riding in an Explorer anyway?

3. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

sounds like SUV vs. any non-SUV the SUV loses. And to think they feel "safe". My car is a wedge, I KNOW I'd flip and SUV if it hit me.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You know, shouldn't the driver of the mustang be guilty of only reckless endangerment and Ford Motor Company guilty of vehicular manslaughter? If it hadn't rolled, they wouldn't have died...

Nate

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Jul 8 2006, 01:05 PM) [snapback]283059[/snapback]</div>
    Did you miss reading this part?

She is lucky she was not charged with second degree murder. In California, there is a principle called "implied malice," which says that if you do an act that is inherently dangerous to human life, and someone dies as a result, then you are guilty of murder.

In one such case two dog owners whose dog killed their neighbor were convicted of murder. Obviously, they didn't want to kill anyone, but they were guilty of murder under the theory that they knew their dogs were dangerous, and anything that flowed from that they were liable for.

In another case, two guys with a meth lab tried to burn it down to avoid detection, the fire spread, the fire department brought along planes to drop retardant on the fire. Two planes collided, and someone died in the crash. So, these otherwise pillars of the community were charged with murder. The theory being that when you start a fire, it's foreseeable that firemen will come to put it out, and it's also foreseeable that they'll send a plane, and if they'll send one, it's foreseeable that they'll send two, and when two planes are in the sky, it's foreseeable that they will collide and kill someone. Therefore, these guys are guilty of murdering the pilots.

Why should the drag racer be given a break?

7. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    People look at me with such disbelief when I tell them that with the full airbag package I am safer than they are with their SUV and front only airbags.

New vehicle construction creates a strong "box" for passengers, the airbags add extra protection. We will rarely, if ever, roll onto a weak roof with the resulting head and neck injuries. I would rather break a leg than my neck.

8. wstander

wstander New Member

The reports did not state whether the Tongans were properly seatbelted in (I assume that they were not, Royals being Royals)

In any case, the Mustang driver is the proximate cause of their deaths.

Unless it can be proven that the SUV roof failed by design failure beyond that required by law, I doubt there is much liablity on Ford's part.

I am certain that there are legions of ambulance chasers salivating though;-)

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Jul 8 2006, 01:41 PM) [snapback]283066[/snapback]</div>
    Sadly for the royal family of Tonga, it looks like the Ford Explorer's box isn't designed so strong. <_< :(

[​IMG]
    http://www.repubblica.it/2006/07/sezioni/e....html?ref=hpsez

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jul 8 2006, 02:10 PM) [snapback]283070[/snapback]</div>
    Royals being Royals??? :huh: People who use seatbelts tend to be people who care about preserving their lives - Royal, wealthy, and pauper alike.

“All three people in the SUV, two women and man, died despite wearing their seat beltsâ€

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...la/14978987.htm

Yep, if I had the choice between flipping in a 4,100lb (5,380lbGVWR) SUV or a 2,890lb (3,795LB GVWR) Prius, I'd take my chances with the Prius. :)

10. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jul 8 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]283082[/snapback]</div>

Well, Princess Diana was not wearing hers, and she was not in an SUV

Oh, have YOU survived landing on the roof of your Prius?

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 8 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]283065[/snapback]</div>
    Point taken. However, I still feel that auto manufacturers hold some of the liability for high rollover risk. Many of these vehicles are sold to people that truly have no idea how tippy they really are. (The Hertz counter renting one out to the Royal Family of Tonga, for example).

The driver of the Mustang should be given a severe sentence for driving recklessly. But, it's not like she was drunk. People regularly drive 100 on I-25 out here in a much less capable vehicle, like an Expedition. They also will race you to every lane change, exit, etc. Why aren't they charged as well? It's only a matter of luck at that point. If she had hit a motorcycle, then everyone would have said, well, it's a motorcycle, they are inherently dangerous, yes, she was reckless, but they probably wouldn't have died if the rider had been in a car, so we won't give her Vehicular Homicide. But because they were in an SUV, she gets treated extra hard.

Why didn't the driver of a gravel truck get charged with Vehicular Homicide in my town for running over a cyclist? Everyone kind of assumed the cyclist had no chance, and the truck driver is free to go without much fuss.

Basically, I want driving of SUV's to be seen as a risky behavior, like riding a Motorcycle. Everyone KNOWS the risk of driving a motorcycle. SUV's should be the same, instead of being told they are safer than cars. They are less safe. I know it, most people on this board know it, but it's too bad the Royal Family of Tonga didn't know it or perhaps they would be alive today.

A coworker's wife was hit (offset) headon in her cherokee by a mitsubishi galant. Same thing, the jeep rolled, and the galant was mushed, but the driver of the galant was okay. My coworker's wife hit her head on the pavement as the vehicle rolled over (yes, she was belted). She has suffered some head trauma and she isn't quite the same anymore. Their next vehicle? Another Cherokee, with a bigger lift kit. (I don't understand).

I saw another wreck in Boulder three years ago between a Honda Civic and a Chevy Blazer (the little kind). Same thing, the Blazer was upside down, and the Civic was mushed, but the Civic driver was okay. Hard to say for the Blazer driver, I didn't stick around to find out.

My only point is that I am personally observing these types of wrecks (where the small vehicle is a wedge) and I'm realizing they might be more common than anyone has thought.

I'm also wondering if there is another factor that is not considered by the IIHS or NHTSA: Nosedive while in an emergency braking situation. This may lower a vehicle all the way down on its suspension, possibly increasing the likelyhood of wedging under the oncoming SUV. (I'm speculating, of course).

Nate

12. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Jul 8 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]283133[/snapback]</div>
    That is assuming as much as assuming everyone knows the risks of high C-G vehicles...

My cousin sells boats in northern Michigan; he will not sell jet-skis to anyone due to possible injuries and the resultant claims against him.

When I competed in autocross with the local Porsche club, I had to sign waivers; maybe the Hertz folk should do that also.

13. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Jul 8 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]283133[/snapback]</div>
    Drunk has nothing to do with it. If anything, it would have made matters worse for her.

The inherently dangerous test applies to the conduct of the offender, not the victim's. It has to be inherently dangerous to others. One of the first concepts that is taught in law school is that of the plaintiff with the eggshell skull. The offender does not get a break because the victim is particularly vulnerable. There is a concept in tort law (what is commonly referred to as personal injury law) that is commonly referred to as assumption of risk. That, however, is not a defense in a criminal prosecution.

What did the gravel truck driver do that is inherently dangerous to other motorists in the eyes of the law? Routine traffic infractions cannot be the basis for murder prosecutions. Besides, I do not know if Colorado permits prosecution for murder on an implied malice theory.

14. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 8 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]283146[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the story about the eggshell skull. Could you clarify whether the Plaintiff in the example was the victim of a crime, or suffered an injury in some other accident? (Just curious). I agree the defense of the suspect being "I didn't hit his skull hard enough to crack it, he musta got hurt because it was thin" is not valid. But what about a guy who goes white water rafting and hits his head? Is the rafting company liable since the hit was minimal, but the eggshell skull guy died? (Anyway, I digress. I suppose everybody is liable for everybody else in this country in the eyes of the tort lawyers).

My point is twofold:
    A. Manufacturers of easily-rolled vehicles ought to share in some of the liability when they roll.
    B. Offenders should be punished equally for all offences regardless of the outcome of their actions. That is, driving 100 MPH recklessly should carry an equal offence regardless of whether or not you actually kill somebody. Same with murder vs. attempted murder. If you are a terrible marksman, and fail to actually commit murder, you should be punished the same as someone who's aim is true, and successfully murders someone. If you want to prosecute the girl for reckless endangerment or some such charge, do so. She is obviously guilty, just as guilty as the other car that took off, just as guilty as the donkey in the BMW that was tearing down the my street at 65 in a 30 this evening (and accelerating, I might add). The penalty should be the same for all of them. But the vehicular homicide has got to go to Ford, for it was the rollover that killed them. (Obviously I understand that my opinion is neither shared by the general public nor does it likely stand the test of laws as they stand on the books).

Nate

15. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Jul 8 2006, 08:00 PM) [snapback]283193[/snapback]</div>
    I have been out of law school longer than I care to admit, and I do not practice in this area of the law, so I do not recall the particulars only the resulting rule. However, Wikipedia has a decent discussion of this legal principle.

P.S. The rafting company is not liable unless it was negligent in the first place. Sometimes, accidents do happen when no one is at fault.

16. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

Suing Ford would be pretty dumb. true the vehicle is prone to flipping but it's not like Ford could make it less flippy without it still being an SUV. You buy one and take the understood precaution while driving it.

17. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Jul 8 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]283059[/snapback]</div>

I'm sure Fomoco doesn't build vehicles under the assumption they're going to get whacked at 100 either... Who's to say they would have lived if it hadn't rolled? That's a guess, at best, way too many variables in a wreck of that magnitude...

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  19. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 8 2006, 03:40 PM) [snapback]283065[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed. Dumb biatch. When she gets out of jail, she should never be able to drive again. Dumb biatch.

20. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid