1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mute button for audio system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dopreho, Jan 21, 2005.

1. dopreho

dopreho New Member

Have had my Silver 2005 Prius for about a week and love driving this car!! The audio system has me a bit baffled though. Does a mute button exist for this system so I can mute cd's or whatever when I want?
    Also, does the title protion work for anyone on CD's or casette's? I am just amazed that I am playing casette's in a car again! (These are from my timecapsule casette box from college by the way)

2. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There isn't a true mute button, but if you press and hold the mode button on the steering wheel it will turn it off. Pressing it again will turn it back on and you will resume where you left off.

3. jeepien

jeepien Member

Yours has a cassette player? I never even saw that option offered, or I would have gotten it.

Oh, and the title won't work on commercial CD's but it will work on those burned with the CD-TEXT option.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is included with the JBL sound system along with the 6 CD changer and the nine speakers. It is not otherwise available.

5. pepa

pepa New Member

I'll be darn - I did not know that, always trying to turn the volume down when the phone rings...
    Thanks for the tip!

6. CitizenjaQ

CitizenjaQ New Member

It will work on some commercial CDs. It's just that precious few actually have CD Text. My gf's Franz Ferdinand, for example. No other CDs I've played have worked, though. It's one of those great ideas that just doesn't have universal backing.

7. metamatic

metamatic Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Get a Bluetooth phone that supports handsfree. That way the car automatically mutes the audio when you answer the phone.

8. senectus

senectus New Member

Thanks for the mode button tip.. thats usefull.

My partners "Good Charlott" CD comes up with the title etc.. but thats the only CD that I've seen that does it.

9. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There's a PWR button on the dash. That's as good a "mute" button as anything.

10. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you want "Instant Mute for a few seconds" you could press the Voice Command button. You'll have to listen to a 1 beep then you get some silence, then another beep and "Voice recognition mode is finished". If you press MAP while shes saying that, you don't have to listen to the whole phrase.

The white wire on the large connector on the NAV ECU is a mute output. There's probably a way to add a mute switch to pretend the NAV ECU just asked for the mute condition.