1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 01 stalls when I start it

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by no3putter, Nov 29, 2007.

1. no3putter

no3putter New Member

I love my Prius..I named him Eddie.

I have 174K on him, and ever since I owned him he stallled when started in the heat. In the past 3 months it has stalled randomly. Usually I turn it off, and try starting again. If due to heat I drive on batery to the shade, roll down windows and let it sool off. Usually it starts and after driving normally, all warning lights go off.

I have taken to the dealship who has never been able to diagnos the problem because the codes clear. Last time was 3 months ago and this time they said it was the Master Computer, with a $1500 repair bill.

I would keep this car for another 3 years if I thought this would repair it, but am wondering if it is worth the risk. So much I have read points to a real lack of being able to pin down the exact problem when this happens.

Any suggestions? Better to trade this one in and put the $$$ to a down payment?

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    [attachmentid=12668]

The mostly likely explanation is a need to perform EG011-03. See the attached file. This is consistent with the words 'Master Computer', more or less.

The very old retail price for the Electronic control module I can find is $990. As an alternative I would suggest that you seek one from a salavge vehicle dismantler such as LKQ Online. The part number you need is 89661–47054, and in particular, not anything lower in the last two digits.

DIY replacement of this part would not be difficult. By no means would I agree that such service work indicates time to change vehicles.

There are a few other sensible maintenance procedures that might contribute here, if not done. Among them replacing the engine air filter and cleaning any soot buildup from the throttle butterfly. We can discuss those later, but the long persistence of your problem certainly points to the #1 cause listed above.

Attached Files: