1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my '05 broke down

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seasidetraveler, May 18, 2005.

1. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :| Well, this past weekend I bit the bullet and drove the 7 hr drive from my house in Tollhouse CA to Las Vegas NV. My 2005 did very well going to Vegas, and all around. It was very hot, and no signs of a weak AC system or anything. I probably would have gotten better mileage- but I was in a hurry- so my mileage averaged 45.

On the way home, the car did well again, until I got into Fresno, CA which is about 35 min. from home.
    My low fuel light came on, and usually I can go quite a ways- so I knew the gas station that I go to was coming up in a few miles, and i wasn't in a great area of town- all of the sudden all those crazy lights came on, and the gas engine shut down... luckily i was in the right lane, because i was about to change freeways. I was going 75, and dropped down to 40 real fast- almost got rear ended by some stupid Honda tailgating me- even though I put my hazards on.
    My first thought was I ran out of gas, even though I didn't think I could have that fast. I exited the freeway running on my last few battery bars- the offramp climbed up a hill, and that was is it- no fuel!!
    So I pull over to the side- still blocking traffic- and call AAA.
    While waiting for about 10 minutes- and almost getting hit several times, I tried to start again, when much to my surprise- the gas engine fired up and I drove to a gas station- still thinking I was too low on gas- I only put 10 gallons in!
    So then I come on here, and read about other people having their Prius die while freeway driving.
    So I call the local dealer- finally get someone to call me back- they have never heard of this problem, and found no recalls on my car- so I just hope that it doesn't happen again!!! I bought a Toyota for reliability!

Just needed to vent! Thanks for reading

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Heck, 10 gallons is more than I can usually get into that tank and I also have an 05. Maybe due to the low fuel condition something went awry?

3. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope- I have gone lower than that before, and nothing happened...

4. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm guessing you've read all the posts about fuel gauge variability and variable tank size due to the bladder. If your low fuel light went on, and it took 10 gallons, it really is possible you ran out of gas. When my car is down to 1 bar, it takes anywhere between 8 and 10 gallons. Was the dealer able to read any codes? That would probably point to what happened.

By the way, the only time I ran out of gas in a car was in my last car, a 1996 Audi A4. Your description sounds just like what happened to me. The dash lit up like a christmas tree and it felt like someone threw out an anchor. I was doing 75 in the left lane and was lucky to get to the shoulder. Of course I was stranded and since the gauge read 1/4 full I thought something in the engine management had failed. The I looked at the number of miles I had driven on the tank and thought maybe I should put some gas in before I call for a tow. It turns out there was a known problem with A4 fuel gauge senders, and when they fail they get stuck at 1/4 tank. Nice, huh?

5. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I ran out of gas, then why did it start back up again?
    I haven't taken it to a dealer yet because I work 9-5 and my dealer is an hour away- I used to have to leave early when I owned Ford's Chevy's and Nissan's, I don't want to have to do it for a toyota :( I know it's stupid... I will get to the dealer soon hopefully.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The engine will start once more after shut down. That's it. It's recommended that users not shut down and reboot forcing the engine to come on.

7. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    When a car runs out of gas, often the first thing that happens is the intake draws some air into the lines and the car dies. If you end up uphill or downhill the fuel may slosh into a different position in the tank and you may be able to get started again.

Just don't discount the possibility until the dealer checks it out. Get the codes read.

8. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

I'm not sure how the bladder work, but I know in my older cars, during especially hot days the gas in the tank would vaporize. If I ran to low, not enough of the gas would remain liquid to keep my engine running. When the car cooled down again I would have enough gas to drive again... At least, this is what I guessed was happening.

9. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the feedback. At any rate- whether I ran out of gas, or my car is defective- I know I will not continue driving once the low fuel light comes on. And when I can leave work early- I will take it in and have them check codes.

10. paul16451

paul16451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think you broke down because of a low fuel problem. It sounds to me like you have one of the Priuses that has the software glitch Toyota was talking about that makes the engine cut out at highway speeds. The pattern fits...the lighting of the entire dashboard, the sudden drop in speed, the ability to restart after shutting off. There's an extensive post on the subject here, and MSN also put out an article about it today.

11. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you!

12. paul16451

paul16451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"remaxmanager\";p=\"90628\")</div>
    Welcome...no use taking it in to the dealer for code check until Toyota issues a formal service bulletin about what needs to be done. You can call to check with the dealer on that, though.

13. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I called them- they had never heard of that problem... I am surprised they even knew what a hybrid was- HAHA Fresno is a very backwards place! The sales dept didn't know anything, my salesman didn't even know how to start it! :lol:

14. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    I think you ran out of gas. Neither of my Prius have ever had 10 gallons of fuel pumped into them. http://www.w8kc.com/priusmileage.htm

When you stopped on the hill, for whatever reason, the system allowed enough fuel to hit the pump to get you to the gas station - which you didn't mention how far away that was.

There have been folks who claim that they ran out of gas with a bar or even two still showing.

Tollhouse to Las Vegas (great desination, BTW!) is about 430 miles so at 45 MPG, you could have ran out but should not have.

See what the dealer says about the "guess gauge."

15. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusham\";p=\"90642)</div>

WOW you are efficient!

16. paul16451

paul16451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager\";p=\"90638)</div>
    I'm not surprised the salesperson never heard of the problem; the announcement only came out Monday on a few specialized websites, and was only just widely publicized today. What I meant was that Toyota usually sends out general service bulletins that should reach the files of any dealer connected to the internet that some repair is needed, so even if they don't know the problem specifically, they should know something needs to be done. But so far, Toyota has not done that...you might check again in a week or two.

I would have agreed that you did in fact run out of gas, if you hadn't also said the whole dashboard lit up, as well as being able to restart later. The fuel tank is 11.9 gallons, and while that does vary some depending on temperature, unless it was REALLY cold, it shouldn't have shrunk that much.

17. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paul16451\";p=\"90645)</div>
    I'm not surprised the salesperson never heard of the problem; the announcement only came out Monday on a few specialized websites, and was only just widely publicized today. What I meant was that Toyota usually sends out general service bulletins that should reach the files of any dealer connected to the internet that some repair is needed, so even if they don't know the problem specifically, they should know something needs to be done. But so far, Toyota has not done that...you might check again in a week or two.

I would have agreed that you did in fact run out of gas, if you hadn't also said the whole dashboard lit up, as well as being able to restart later. The fuel tank is 11.9 gallons, and while that does vary some depending on temperature, unless it was REALLY cold, it shouldn't have shrunk that much.
    [/b][/quote]

I agree.. It was the service tech that had never heard of it- just a correction. Did anybodies sales person know anything about the Prius? Why aren't these guys/women trained on these??

When I worked for Ford we always had to do extensive training on new products- I would expect Toyota to go above and beyond Ford

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think it depends on the dealer...

Unfortunately to most the Prius is still an enigma. Our salesperson could show us all the features and how to drive it and etc. But hubby's a Toyota tech and already knew that stuff. :)

19. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well thats nice! I bet he's handy!
    When I was in the finance part- the finance guy said, "Welcome to the world of Prius owners who know nothing about their car." That didn't make me feel very good!

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Eww, I would have hesitated to buy from that dealer if someone said something like that!

That was really unnecessary of them...

Fortunately there's a ton of info here on PriusChat, so hopefully you won't have to go uninformed. :)