1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 05 Prius Broadsided

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by forte88, Aug 1, 2005.

1. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, Saturday was a horrible day. I went to make a left turn and some Jeep Cherokee that was behind me had decided to pass me on the left side over double yellow lines and destroyed the whole left driver side of my new 2005 Prius. The front fender got the worst of the deal, although the passenger door will need replaced. the rear fender got a few good scrapes. The driver of the Cherokee has no license, and no insurance.. (of course!) :guns: . One of his passengers darted out of the car and ran for it! I think drugs are definitely involved.

I think this guy hit me at about 35-40 miles an hour, maybe faster.. I didn't see him coming. His airbags deployed, but my side air bags did not and I hit my head pretty good against the driver's side window. Most of the hit came on the front quarter panel, but shouldn't the side airbags deploy on any side hit? This has me a bit concerned that they didn't deploy.

On a positive note, his Cherokee's front end was completely crunched in and it looks like it will be totalled. The Prius seemed to hold up pretty good against the aging SUV. I was still able to start it and run it to the side of the street although the driver front wheel is a bit cock-eyed (suspension damage?). I don't see any damage to the hood, so the side fender seemed to hold the impact better than the Jeep's fenders.

The display screen on the Prius has a big explanation point (!) like it was surprised, and is wondering what is going on. I think it thinks the drivers door is open because there was some message about putting the thing in neutral. I wish I could give you more details on the exact wording, but I was pretty shook up and ticked off to pay too much attention.

A bystander that also happens to be a friend took some pictures of the damage with their cell phone camera and I'll be getting those soon. I'll post them if you want.

I tried to get some kind of value of my Prius online and from the dealer, and they don't have any kind of database, nor does one exhist online that I can find that can tell me the retail value of my car. Kelly Blue book doesn't even list the Prius for used car value for my year. On one hand, I'm hoping they total it so I can get another, and maybe one with the GPS system this time :) On the other hand, even with my GAP insurance, I don't think that I will ever regain the 4 grand I used as a downpayment. But I can't tell for sure unless I can get some kind of value estimate.

My stepson works for a dealer collision center, and he is telling me that he doubts very much that they will total it. I am worried about the repairs tho. With a hit like this, most cars are usually not the same afterward :( Maybe I'll trade it in for another when mine is fixed if I can get a great deal!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The side impact bags will only deploy under specific amounts of force. If it was a glancing hit to the quarter panel I wouldn't expect the side impact bags to deploy.

Sorry about the wreck.

3. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

If the front wheel is mangled I would be very concerned that there is major damage to the transaxel and other components. Is this car leased or owned, as you are talking about GAP insurance. If leased you should NEVER EVER EVER put down a downpayment on a lease - if something like this happens and it is totalled you kiss that money goodbye -- sorry.

4. ostrich

ostrich New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You have my sympathy.

My new prius got sandwiched between SUVs on the 405 seven weeks ago. They're still working on repairing it, though I'm starting to hear some rumblings from the insurance company about possibly totalling it out. _Very_ frustrating...

I'm having the same problems you are trying to get an idea of what my essentially new 2005 package 6 is worth in the event they do end up totalling it out.

5. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Why not just go to something like cars.com and see what the prices are they are asking for them:

Here is one---

2005 Toyota Prius
    $29,956 See Saved Vehicles Kelley Blue Book Value
    Save This Vehicle
    Mileage 2,411 Engine 1.5L 4 cylinders, fuel injection
    Body Style Hatchback Transmission
    Wheelbase Drive Train FWD
    Doors Stock #
    Exterior Color White VIN JTDKB20U553028738
    Interior Color Burgundy

Features: Air Conditioning, Anti-Lock Brakes, Security Features, Front Wheel Drive, Power Brakes, Power Steering, Power Windows, Tilt Steering Wheel

Dealer: Toyota of Santa Barbara, 5611 Hollister Ave, Goleta CA, 888-708-5902

Listing Source: Toyota Certified Program

6. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster\";p=\"112368)</div>

7. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So, where the police able to catch the driver and or the passenger?

8. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg\";p=\"112381)</div>
    The driver didn't run. Only a passenger took off into a trailer park immediately after we hit. I only learned this when a bystander told me after the fact. I don't think they bothered to tell the police about that. The driver was only cited, and probably given a ticket only. They did impound what was left of his Jeep Cherokee. Since this guy could have killed me, it would have made me feel better if they took him to jail! He may have jail time when he goes to court about this. But nonetheless, it's not going to pay for my damages. I've never been in a situation like this and I'm not sure if my insurance will now go up too, even tho its not my liability.

9. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

10. Porridge

Porridge New Member

Please check with your insurance company. If they decide to fix it, yes the resale value will be less and believe it or not, that is claimable with many insurance companies.

Good luck.

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry about your loss.

Some insurance companies will value the car as new anytime during the first year of ownership. I am not sure about the over MSRP premium which you paid, though.

If the car is not totaled, I highly suggest that you have it repaired at a Toyota dealer body shop. This way, if there are future problems, the service department will be limited from blaming the faults on their own body shop and vice versa.

I had a very positive experience with Keyes Collision Center in Van Nuys. It is a new, state of the art facility, with all the latest computerized equipment.

12. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I have it at the Collision Center at Gosch Auto Dealer in Hemet, CA. They do have a Toyota Dealership there. I think they all work in cahoots somehow. My stepson works there as an estimator and he can keep an eye out for me to make sure it gets good treatment. I've never had a good sales experience there, but, this will be my first experience with body work with them.

Its only been 2 days and I miss my Prius so bad already.. i just know this will drag on for weeks upon weeks :(

13. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  14. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on the insurance company. My company does a survey to see what the vehicle would sell for in your area. For instance, my truck when it was stolen was worth more in TX than where I got it in KS.

Also, the steering wheel is just a joystick. I did not think it was connected to anything. If it is ascuw then it might be frame damage.

15. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

So sorry to hear about the misfortune...there forte88. Watch for the transaxle damage, if any. Any front wheel drive vehicle, it is dangerous to have damage in that area, and extremely difficult to re-align right and fix LONG TERM.

If the damage is serious, and close to totalled value, push and be active, take your case to the corporate side of the insurance company, and make sure to get substantiation to get maximum value when and if the car is totalled. Insurance companies typically BURN the individual when such an accident occurs. You should also seek to proscecute the other driver, cooperating with the police, and make sure to keep up and GET the case number, arrest or incident report from the officer etc... document everything, get more pictures and make sure you are treated fairly. You have to FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS, otherwise these companies will burn you, nothing personal. Keep an eye on the bodyshop and make sure they take no SHORT CUTS., insist on NEW TOYOTA PARTS, and if the car is repaired at the transaxle or any front wheel, request the FULL TOYOTA ORIGINAL warranty, for all the repair work, or an extended warranty with the accident CLEARLY NOTED. If you have moved and shopped around to get the lower insurance rates, the office that sold you the policy will do little for you in most cases. If you have maintained insurance with the same agent for a longer time, that agent will help or SHOULD help you. Talk to the agent directly, not one of the secretaries or receptionists or clerks. That is how it is in Texas, hope California is still somewhat like this and that this has been helpful to you.

16. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The steering wheel seems to be OK. Its the driver side front wheel that is leaning at an angle.

17. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks IALTMANN, this is VERY useful information and greatly appreciated...

And thanx also goes to IsrAmeriprius for his investigative work.

18. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  19. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Good work lsrAmeriPrius...That should help him a good bit. I hope this never happens to me..this car is too good to have someone uninsured run into it and ruin it like that. The displaced right front wheel would especially concern me., any FWD system is critically aligned and must be right in order to last and operate properly without damage to transmissions, engines, motors and the likes. What a shame.. I hope if the damage is borderline to TOTAL value, he gets a fair settlement and gets another car.

20. CHART

CHART Member

When I was hit last year (but not nearly as badly as you) there were no after-market parts for the Prius yet so getting Toyota parts was easy. The collision guys I worked with here in Maryland were fantastic to work with, but the Prius was so new, I had to tell them many of the parts on it (like the HID lights) as they were ordering some of the wrong parts.

I hope that this works out for you. Sorry for your aggrivation. Glad you are OK physically!!

Rick