1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 05 Prius is like NEW again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by paprius4030, Aug 1, 2007.

1. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The other day while I was at Target I noticed a brand new silver 07 Prius go by my silver 05 Prius in the parking lot. My wife hear me lament, that gee that new Prius looks really nice I wonder why my 05 doesn't look that good even after I waxed it. So bless her heart she gave me a gift cert. to have my car detailed for my birthday. I just got it back and boy did they do a great job. Both the interior and the exterior look like new! I guess the expertise and the commercial products they use are a lot better then what I use lol. It's nice to have a new Prius again.

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    When they learn to detail the traction battery, ICE, and Hybrid Synergy Drive, and make them "like NEW" . . . be sure to let me know. ;)

3. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thats good to hear. I've always wondered that about my '05 prius when I see '07's on the road and wonder if mine was ever that nice. I used to detail cars, but it wasn't anything professional. More of just good cleaning inside and out when people bought the $30 car wash.
    Kind of gives me motivation to look into detail shops in my area.

4. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We have a guy in our club (Orange County) who does detail the engine- in fact he has a Prius with the engine being ENAMELED in a Maroon sparkley color- he takes it to car shows also- it has dual pipes, etc.

Actually we were going to have a Megeuirs day this fall -for Prius-- for their free training class (Irvine ,CA).

They did sort of scratch their heads last time we did it - now they are seeing more of them!

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(inventor00 @ Aug 1 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]488775[/snapback]</div>
    Mike should be very familiar with Prii. I attended one of their days in Fall of 2005. Both the PriusClubSD and Orange County Prius Club were there. They had a parking lot full of Prii. I learned a lot and got some great deals on Meguiar's products. I'd be interested in going again for a brush up and a nice day. The drive up was great.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030 @ Aug 1 2007, 02:39 PM) [snapback]488734[/snapback]</div>
    Godiva turned me on to Meguirs products. The clay bar and spray lubricant (I forget the name) do an amazing job. Any number of members will tell you the same thing.

7. alexg57

alexg57 New Member

So speaking of detailing cars, what does everyone use to combat swirl marks and scratches? I have a pretty much brand new black Prius, and I put some wax on it within a few weeks of purchase. However, the paint looks worse now than it did when I drove it off the lot! I think that my clay bar maybe had some minerals in it because I noticed the scratches when I was 3/4 of the way through claying the car. I figured it just pulled up the stock wax and exposed what was already there. However, I put on four coats of Zaino wax - Z2, Z2, then Z5 and Z5, each coat with Z6 spray in between - and it still didn't get rid of the scratches.

Any recommendations for when I wax again before winter starts?

Thanks!
    - alexg

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alexg @ Aug 2 2007, 11:27 AM) [snapback]489280[/snapback]</div>
    ScratchX has helped my clearcoat damaged. I would think it will probably help you as long as the scratch isn't down to the primer.

9. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alexg @ Aug 2 2007, 11:27 AM) [snapback]489280[/snapback]</div>
    Try the Z5 first next time after using claybar. I used the Z18 claybar Zaino product on mine. The Z2 has no cleaning ability as the Z5 is supposed to be great for removing swirils and light scratches. Any chance you dropped your claybar or got something really bad imbedded in it??? My car was blinging today as I did Z2 with ZFX and the Z8 grand finale finish. Topped it off with 303 aerospace on all the vinyl/rubber inside and out.....OMG it is awesome. See attached picture. 05 pkg 5
    [attachmentid=10465]

Attached Files:

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

The problem is that you aren't doing anything to remove the swirlmarks. Zaino won't do it, Z5 may hide them (poorly) for a couple weeks, but unless you polish the surface with an abrasive polish to remove them, they'll never go anywhere. Scratch X works, but its a spot check product. You really need to procure and learn how to use a polisher yourself or have a pro do it.

Once thats done you have to learn proper washing and claying techniques to keep them from coming back as often. I say as often because with a black car thats driven daily and washed weekly, you will ALWAYS have SOME swirls no matter how careful you are. Proper washing technique can keep it to where nobody notices but you.

The main reason why your cars don't look as good as new ones a couple years down the road is maintenance. If you wash them thoroughly and clean inside weekly, wax 2-4 times a year, they will look like new for years to come.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D Rock @ Aug 8 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]492693[/snapback]</div>
    With silver, it's hard to get that "pop" or that "wow!" factor but it's definitely noticeable in your picture.

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is this clay you speak of? Excuse my Aussie ignorance.

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Detailing clay is used, along with a lubricant, to remove imbedded contaminants from the paint surface.

14. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030 @ Aug 2 2007, 02:39 AM) [snapback]488734[/snapback]</div>
    What did it cost?

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 9 2007, 07:15 AM) [snapback]492944[/snapback]</div>
    See the sticky "Detailing your Vehicle" in the Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting forum. Then click on the exterior link and scroll down to the claybar section. I believe there's a hyperlink (not sure if I copied that over or not) to a short video. If not, then you can read the paragraph(s) for an explanation.

16. alexg57

alexg57 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Aug 8 2007, 08:33 PM) [snapback]492812[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, I thought Z5 was meant to "fill in" very light scratches and swirl marks. It also says on their website to not use a machine polisher with the Zaino wax system. I was going to pick up the Porter Cable double-action polisher that I've read so much about and try it with the Z5 again despite that, but you don't think that will do the trick? The marks aren't bad, so I don't think I need to use any abrasive polishing action or harsh products to remove them. And if not Scratch X, since it's a spot polish, what would you recommend?

Thanks guys!
    - alexg

17. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Consumers rates Quixx ($21) best, followed by Motherss and NuFinish.