1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My '06 Pimpin the Snow Chains

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bbianchi, Feb 21, 2006.

1. bbianchi

bbianchi New Member

So this past weekend I went up to my buddies cabin and we had one heck of a storm. I must add that a few times I felt the VSC and Traction control kick in and I must say, WOW. They totally kick nice person. I noticed I was slipping and within on second the systems were doing there job and no more and 1-2 second later I had full traction again. Plus the SCC chains workd great and one I got a hang of them, they installed very easily and removed even quicker.

Here she is at the final destination, pre-seven inches of fresh snow fall. Yes I would have included that picture but it was cold, and I wanted to dig her out and get on the road.

[​IMG]

My only complaint is that I noticed while going slower with the chains and having the more intense vibrations that the center part of the dash seems greatly unsupported and was shaking quite vigerously... is this normal?

2. Darwin23

Darwin23 New Member

give me the 411 on those snow chains. been wanting to buy one for the next ski trip.

3. bbianchi

bbianchi New Member

This is the MFG website with all the info, you will need to purchase from a dealer however: SCC Chain Company

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've never had to use chains in Manitoba yet - though they are allowed, just like studded snow tires - but when I lived in Utah I used chains on my previous cars and 4Runner.

The vibration is normal when using chains. I've found it to be more pronounced on a front wheel drive car, my 1992 Honda Prelude would really shake at speeds much faster than 28 MPH.

6. jtullos

jtullos New Member

I've got cable chains as opposed to full chains, but I've also experienced the rattling of the center dash in my '05, usually up to around 33 mph or so. It's less pronounced when going over thick snow, and worse in cleared spots.

7. Darwin23

Darwin23 New Member

did you have to remove the plastic ring in the front tires in order to fit the chains? i noticed the ring is still on the rear wheels but not the front.

8. bbianchi

bbianchi New Member

I suppose I could have left it on, however at that point my drag coefficient was not all that important to me. I can say that the manual for tha cable said to remove any hub caps, and that these still would have fit and worked just fine with them on, I just didnt want to risk damaging them.

9. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

I was wondering....

DO you use it all the time ? or do you need to take them out when riding a non snow road ?

It could be a great solution to when you get suprised by snow.

10. bbianchi

bbianchi New Member

You have to take them off when your not in conditions that mandate their use. Generally any chains/cables you should not drive faster than 25 MPH plus they increase the wear on your tires and I would imagine don't do any other part of your car any good from all the vibration as well.

11. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

i'm thinking of just getting them and keeping it under the trunk for emergency...

12. bbianchi

bbianchi New Member

Keep in mind federal law requires you to carry chains at all times while in a national forrest.

13. jtullos

jtullos New Member

Hmm, I didn't know that. Doesn't matter as I carry the chains at all times anyway, they're not much extra weight and they fit nicely in the hidden compartment, and our weather can be quirky here, especially if I'm going up to Lake Tahoe or over to California for any reason when it's not summer.

14. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

SO what's a good price and where ? :) (also model #)

15. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nice! Thanks for reminding me I need to get some new cable chains for my Prius soon. I tend to carry them with me at all times anyhow, especially during the winter, whether or not I'm headed for the mountains. My husband and I snowboard a lot, so it's always wise to have them on hand just in case (after practicing putting them on a couple times at the beginning of the winter season to freshen up our chain-putting-on skills). :)

16. cgraham

cgraham Member

I have been using the N. forests for 45 years and never heard that one. I bet few have. (I bet it does not apply to county roads going through N. forests.) It's true I live in the S where snow is less of a problem, but chains can be good for mud too.

There are NF roads in my area the Prius _could_ negotiate, but it does not really belong on them. I'm more concerned for my heavier duty vehicle.

Can anyone validate this federal requirement, just to be sure?

C

17. bbianchi

bbianchi New Member

I found out about the law the hard way. I was going to a family friends cabin one night in april and a freak snow storm came through while I was already in route. Mind you I was coming from about 300 miles away and by the time I was in the mountains it was around midnight. I hit black ice, and high centered the front end of my car. California Highway Patrol showed up (my great luck) and cited me A) For not having chains, and B) Not using chains. Granted when I began my journey chains were not required :\.

Not having chains: $600 (in ca)
    Not using chains when required: $400 (in ca)
    Tow truck extraction: $86

For everything else there's MasterCard. ;)

This was a few years ago so thing could have changed, but from now I I keep my chains on me 24/7.

18. bbianchi

bbianchi New Member

The manufacturer changed their website, but this should get you started:

Store Locator

As far as price with mine and overnight shipping it was around $86 after tax I want to say.

Model #... I don't want to take responsibility incase someone has different weels so here is how you can get your model #: Model Selector

19. cgraham

cgraham Member

Thanks for an interesting story bbianchi. What a stiff triple whammy! However the, HP does not have jurisdiction on NF roads, does it? I bet you were on a county, or state road going through the forest. Do you remember? If the HP DOES have jurisdiction on NF roads, it would not be a NF reg, perhaps, but a State law requiring chains in adverse conditions on ANY road?

Just curious about NF regs: you would never see HP cruising on a NF road here - unless there was a crime or accident. Of course, CA is DIFFERENT :D

I think that there is a separate queston of whether the _Prius_, because of it's aggressive anti-spin system, which easily results in traction loss, should always have chains on board. (I'm a preparedness freak). :unsure:

There are several stories here of total traction loss and helplessness on loose gravel hills and ice/snow.

C

20. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Yeah i had 2 incidents... one on snow/ice and on muddy road. Not fun :)