1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 110v design - a Thanksgiving project

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pt95148, Nov 30, 2008.

1. pt95148

pt95148 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A long Thanksgiving weekend is perfect for me to do this.
    You can see I build this so that the whole thing can go back into the original inverter box. I also put it on a raise platform just to be on the safe side.

Comments are welcome.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you powering this inverter off the 12volt battery? As I have suggested on many similar threads,, that may not be a good idea,,depending on how much wattage you expect to draw.

Icarus

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Excellent! This is the make of 1 kW inverter I'm using. The only difference is I had a place to mount it in my Prius.

GOOD JOB!

You need to test the various loads on the inverter. I found the laptop and TV both have a significant inrush current that can trip the inverter. I also modified our gas furnace so the motor was on a plug instead of directly wired in. This allows me to power the gas furnace in the winter from the inverter.

Bob Wilson

4. pt95148

pt95148 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Bob,

I saw your design too and am glad to see that it can power gas furnace although I don't think I will do that myself. I just want to keep the refrigerator going and just maybe use the microwave to heat up water etc.
    What do you do after the inverted is tripped? Can you reset it or do you have to change a fuse somewhere?

Also in your set up, you seem to have some kind of toroidal core on the wires, what does this do?

TIA