1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 1st fill up after delivery... 45.9

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by icharry, Dec 25, 2006.

1. icharry

icharry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So I fianlly got to fill the tank... only took 8.2 gal... so I could have gone a bunch more... I filled up within a mile of going down to the last pip on the fuel gauge. The computer says I got 45.9 MPG... Pretty good especially since I did some hard starts as part of the test drive & to show people how fast (or at least how not slow) it is.... hope it will only get better. I think I'll add a few PSI to the tires... and I still gotta learn the P&G all the way.

One question.. does going into B gear when slowing to a red light have any advantages?

thanks

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    good stuff. Post it in the December 2006 Averages!

Question: nope... well.. depends how fast you're going.

B is the equivalent of downshifting. It's for engine braking.

However, if you're below 22mph, the engine won't come on and shifting to B gives you maximum regen. I used this method to help me figure out how much to press on the brake pedal to get maximum regen. After that, I don't need to use B any more.

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That's very good mileage indeed!! first of all, being a new car not broken in yet, second, you're still learning to drive the Prius, and third, it's winter! So congrats! that's very good......

My recommendation is never use "B". In L.A. you probably will never have reason to, unless you visit Colorado or other places with long inclines/declines. Just forget "B", the Prius will utilize the ICE and electric motor to protect itself and the battery, and will recharge itself properly (and better than a human driver could) anyway.

Enjoy your new Prius!!! and Welcome!!

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Dec 26 2006, 06:03 AM) [snapback]366669[/snapback]</div>
    I am afraid that you are not familiar with Los Angeles' topography.

The city is intersected by the Santa Monica Mountains, which separates the Los Angeles basin from the San Fernando Valley. Many of us live in steep hilly terrain.

By the way, the highest point in Los Angeles County is 10,080 feet above sea level atop Mt. San Antonio and the lowest is 9 feet below sea level at Wilmington. That makes the vertical rise in the metropolitan area 10,089 feet, which is probably more than anything you will find in Colorado.