1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2004 Prius is not switching to electric motor, engine revving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by freedomteam, Apr 6, 2019.

1. freedomteam

freedomteam New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have all kinds of warning lights staying on, so I took it into my shop and they can't diagnose it. They said that only a dealer can diagnose it. Any thoughts on why it won't engage the electric motor and the engine revs on and off. When the engine is revving it's tough to get the car up to speed. You have to baby it.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you need a new hybrid battery. @2k1Toaster $1,600.

all the best!(y)

3. maddog2020

maddog2020 Junior Member

Model:
    IV
    Or if your even a little bit mechanically inclined it’s not hard to pull the battery apart and replace a module or two (about $40 each). Lots of DIYs on here.

Ian

iPhone ?

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can't know if it's the traction battery without reading the codes. It could also be the inverter pump, for example. Get the codes read by a Prius literate code reader. It's vastly quicker and cheaper than guessing.

5. freedomteam

freedomteam New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you Jerry, that sounds like the best advice.

Question: Can it hurt to run the car on short trips?

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Probably not?

Tough to really answer without getting that first round of diagnostic info out of the car. And once the warning lights are on for one problem, you have no way of knowing if a second problem hits you unless you notice driveability symptoms.

Usually people get away with limping it to a garage etc. Once you know what went wrong, you can make a more informed decision on whether more limping is possible, or if it needs to be parked until fixed.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It depends on the problem. If it's the inverter pump and you run it too long it can get hot and cook itself even though it's supposed to protect itself from over heating. If it's a bad cell or cells in the traction battery, one could burst and fire is a possibility. Odds of something that bad happening are low, but the penalty if it does is mighty high. I would not chance it except to get it to the dealer if the dealers is within about 5 miles or so on low speed roads.

You can read the codes yourself with a smart phone and one of the apps available for the purpose if you a willing to order an OBDII adaptor and wait for it to arrive.

Also, @ericbecky is in Madison and he's a real pro. Perhaps he has some advice.

8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @freedomteam
    I'd be happy to help you out. Give me a call and we can chat through some ideas. 608-728-4082

Sounds like you car is already trying to protect itself from damage. I'd try not to use it if possible.

You might be fine, bit it could be quite costly if you are not fine and something else gets damaged.

9. freedomteam

freedomteam New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Thank you! I'll give you a call today.

#9 freedomteam, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  10. freedomteam

freedomteam New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I took the Prius to the lot where I bought it. They fix them as well. Turns out that one cell is at 14 and the rest are at 16. They can replace the cell for $400, $500 if it's 2 cells. Otherwise, they suggested $2000 for a new one from Toyota. I can't afford that. The car has 201,000 miles as well.

He also told me that if I replace the cell or cells, that there is a chance that it may need other cells in the future, possibly within 8 months to 2 years. This he said was from past experience.

The other possibility is one from a salvage yard for around $700.

#10 freedomteam, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  11. freedomteam

freedomteam New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can do this, but what about the whole balanced battery thing? And, does anyone know a good place to buy the cells?

I had a first gen Prius where I replaced the battery, so I can do this.

12. maddog2020

maddog2020 Junior Member

Model:
    IV
    You can get cells on eBay. Looked for tested and 7.9v.

I don’t think the balanced battery is that big a deal, you can bet the guy offering to do the replacement for you isn’t going to do the balancing.

iPhone ?

13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Chances of another cell failing in less than a year are probably only about 99.9%. But balancing the battery after repair gives the best chance for a longer time before failure. Eric knows what he's talking about. There's more to the cells than just voltage. Although that is a big deal, lots of other stuff can cause a battery failure and you want to address those issues as well.

Balancing is a huge deal when a battery is that old, but you're right that the guy probably won't do it, which is a major factor in the quick failure of rebuilt batteries.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Arrrghhhhh

That was the incorrect phone number and of course Priuschat does not let me go back and fix it in the original post.
    So I corrected it in my quote here.

608-729-4082