1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2006 Prius Died...Junk/Fix/Sell?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KiloWhiskey, Jan 18, 2016.

1. KiloWhiskey

KiloWhiskey New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was driving the other day, and all of a sudden it started with this horrible knocking sound. I have never heard the sound before. I remember back in the day, with a 67 buick rivera, that if the oil got low, the engine would knock, and this kind of sounded the same, but more high pitched and clicky. I checked the oil first thing and there is plenty in there - in fact, I had just checked and put oil in it about two weeks before. Please note, that I have not always kept up with the oil changes, and sometimes the oil level was pretty low. My sons tell me that the sound seems to be coming from the top of the engine, and it's probably toast, a rod knock. I parked it, and figured i will get it looked at in a few months, when i'm better able to pay for diagnostics. I'm asking for advice, on whether or not I should just junk it or sell it, because the batteries are still in good shape, and i know they are pretty expensive. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    should be worth 1500 on craigs list, a used gas motor isn't that expensive

3. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your not going to do the work yourself you should invest in a couple hundred dollars and see WHAT is the problemo is. Then you can decide on the course which suits you. The repair cost vs selling it with the engine problem will have to be calculated and decide on your course.
    Thats about it if your not going to investigate yourself physically on your own car.