1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2006 Prius hit 150K miles. Some questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NickSP123, Apr 12, 2018.

1. NickSP123

NickSP123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have been regularly maintaining my car changing oil every 5K miles and replacing filters etc. Did the required maintenance at regular intervals. Changed tires, rotated them promptly etc. The car runs great except there is a small oil leak from a seal between the block and transmission I was told which I ignore by regularly checking oil.
    I was recently advised to change the inverter and water pumps because it is better to do it proactively. I was told that the fuel pump lasts longer. Question is do I need to change those pumps as advised? Many thanks in advance.

2. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The water pump probably already was replaced once on recall. Learn how to check for turbulence in the Inverter cooler reservoir, and keep driving.

The inverter is not a standard replacement item (and is very expensive!). Of course, if the water pump goes that might take it with it - but there is a safety circuit that turns on your warning lights and lodges a DTC if it starts to overheat.

So nope and nope!

kenoarto and bisco like this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How many miles, and have you checked the vehicle maintenance history by entering the VIN at : http://www.toyota.com/owners

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many Gen2's had the water pump leak by about 80k miles, and many replaced under supplemental warranty, which I think was a popular purchase on PriusChat in those days. We had never purchased the extra warranty, so when ours leaked, I tried adding more fluid for a while. Next thing you know, no more leaks and here we are at 170,000 miles with orig water pump/

SFO likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Who is your mechanic that is advising you to change the pumps? The inverter pump lasts about 100,000 miles, the regular water pump can be changed if it's leaking, don't need to do it prematurely.

yibo829 and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. NickSP123

NickSP123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    So I am confused because you say the inverter pump lasts 100K miles and I have about 150K miles.

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You mentioned a recommendation to change the pumps proactively.....so I don't want you to change out a perfectly good pump as they usually last about 100k miles.

There was a campaign a while back that changed your inverter pump under recall. You may want to check when this was done so you don't prematurely change out your inverter pump.

There are times when you proactively change out items that are not having problems, you may end up with a problem when you're done. A good example is when you change out the water pump, you don't bleed out the air properly and the car overheats causing damage to your engine or you lose the heating function in your car. So if you didn't touch your working water pump, you wouldn't end up with a new problem.

#8 JC91006, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Raytheeagle, SFO and nssdiver like this.
  9. swiftyprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In our 2008, we had a coolant leak repaired, then our pump replaced with the recall, then a pump failure while driving at 120k miles. Got the big red triangle and associated loss of power. Didn't drive any more than to get to the shop. Three repairs on the same system seems like a bit much, but its been a solid car besides that.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The coolant leak may be from the engine side, not inverter side.

The recall was for inverter pump only. They tend to last around 100k miles before failing again

11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are FOUR pumps on the Prius, and TWO independent cooling loops.

Engine loop
    traditional belt driven engine water pump; failure can be catastrophic and could leave you stranded
    CHRS pump; failure not catastrophic and won't leave you stranded, unless this pump is leaking
    cabin heater pump; failure not catastrophic and won't leave you stranded, unless this pump is leaking
    3-way coolant control valve; failure not catastrophic and won't leave you stranded, unless this valve is leaking
    Inverter loop
    Inverter pump only; failure can be catastrophic and could leave you stranded.​

Radiator:
    Upper portion is for engine cooling.
    Bottom portion is for inverter and transaxle cooling.​

#11 exstudent, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you are saying first, the traditional "water" pump leaked, which just about all Gen2 had that happen with pink stalactites forming.. Many owners replaced that water pump, many under exteneded warranrty if they bought it. Ours we just kept going and the leak stopped. I am approaching 200k with orig water pump. Gen3 I think has electric pump instead of belt operated.

Then you are saying inverter coolant pump was replaced under warranty, and the repacement pump has now failed. We had that happen too...as JC says it seems to be about ~80000 miles life on that pump.

That inverter pump is amazing strong 12volt pump if you ever need a 12V battery powered pump for some hack. YouTube videos on that. But I guess all good things must come to an end , so the pumps do not last forvever.,