1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2006 windshield needs to be replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by elmofongo, Sep 30, 2006.

1. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A rock hit my windshield a few days ago and made a small star shaped crack.
    Today I noticed that cracks are spreading fast. My Toyota dealer is going
    to refer me to their windshield repair shop. They said I need a new windhield. :(
    My auto insurance also referred me to their affiliate and said it would cost me
    $326 (all out of pocket because of my $500 deductible).

Should I go with the cheapest quote or should I go with the one my dealer
    uses?

Thanks

-Adriano

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elmofongo @ Sep 30 2006, 04:23 PM) [snapback]326218[/snapback]</div>
    The dealer is going to sublet the work to a glass shop. Go with the lowest price that provides you with an OEM windshield. Do not settle for an aftermarket part, your car is too new for that.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd go with whoever uses a genuine Toyota windshield.

Sometimes penny wise is pound foolish.

4. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm surprised your insurance doesn't cover it. All my policies had free windshield repair

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've now had FIVE windshields in my 2006. I really wanted a shaded windshield - and the OEM glass is still not shaded, so I put in aftermarket... and another... and another.... I finally got one that is "good enough" but not great. I'd definitely stick with whatever company will give you the OEM glass, and avoid the hassles I've had.

That said, my deductible has always been waved, just like Mr. Green. Of course I also have just a $100 deductible.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I was quoted $240 Can for a 2006 Prius windshield. That's about $216 US. Shop around. DON'T let the dealer do it! Unless you -want- to burn money.

7. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Im curious! (darelldd) Why 5 windshields?? So far ive never had to replace a winshield in any car i owned.Can you see a sample before its installed to see if u like it??

8. techman01

techman01 New Member

On my insurance I have for an extra $4/year glass coverage that replaces broken glass with no deductible. Still have regular deductible for other stuff. It's the best $4/year I ever spend!

Liberty Mutual is my insurance carrier

9. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stanlwyjohn @ Oct 1 2006, 03:39 AM) [snapback]326407[/snapback]</div>
    I first got a chip in the stock glass. Glass guy tried to repair it, and the crack spread when he put pressure on the thing during curing. So I needed new glass, and really wanted a shaded one, so after a while, the aftermarket guys caught up with us, and offered a shaded unit. Put it in, and the it was like looking through somebody else's prescription glasses. We replaced it with another, and it was worse! Finally after four, there's one in now that is acceptable, though still not as good as OEM... but with a GREAT shade, at least!

You can look at these things all day long before they're installed - and they all look the same. Put them in and suddenly one will suck and one will be fine. Once the glass is out of the car, they have to put *something* in there, so there's no use in just setting it in place first to determine if it is OK. If it is NOT OK, it still has to be glued in while the next one is ordered.

One thing that makes the problem worse is the extreme rake of the Prius windshield. Not quite as bad as that rear window, but still plenty bad (from a glass clarity standpoint).

10. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks darelldd :) I learned something new today PS! Im jealous!! I would love to have a ev auto.Someday!!!

11. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Got 2 quotes so far, my dealer referral wants $330, my insurance referral wants $326.
    Both use an after-market windshield. The Toyota Windshield by itself costs $900 (plus labor)

I wonder how close to the original the after-market looks.

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elmofongo @ Oct 3 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]327335[/snapback]</div>
    They always *look* thes same. It is the clarity you've got to watch out for. Safety and fit aren't anything to worry about... but the optical clarity sure is!

Interesting my my insurance (AAA) would ONLY pay for OEM glass, and I had to fight to get the aftermarket with the shade. Sigh. Such is my life.

13. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Sep 30 2006, 07:27 PM) [snapback]326249[/snapback]</div>
    As i recently learned, that can vary state to state. Back in Ohio, none of my policies or my families had free windshield repair. Up here in Minnesota, however, every policy does (it's mandated statewide).

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elmofongo @ Oct 3 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]327335[/snapback]</div>
    Sometimes aftermarket glass is repackaged OEM.

Back in 2000, someone smashed the rear window of my wife’s Dodge Grand Caravan. The van was fairly new, so I insisted on OEM replacement as opposed to an aftermarket or a used part which is what the insurance adjuster wanted me to have. After I fought and won my battle with the insurance company, the body shop told me that they could not get an OEM glass from their suppliers. I started calling around looking for one. One Dodge dealer finally told me that they get their OEM from one of the aftermarket suppliers. I called that glass shop and they confirmed that what they sold was factory glass in an aftermarket box; however, they could get me the exact same glass in a Mopar packaging for twice the money. I gave the OK for the aftermarket part to be installed. It was a genuine Chrysler rear window.

It does not hurt to do some sleuthing.

15. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK just got it replaced with an after-market windshield.
    The windshield is manufactured by PPG, model FW02454.
    So far I can't tell the difference between the original and the replacement
    except that it doesn't say "Toyota" on the lower left corner. Instead it says "PPG" on the
    lower right corner.

16. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    All the aftermarket glass I've ever gotten was PPG and I've never noticed a difference between OEM and PPG.

17. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 3 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]327468[/snapback]</div>
    Repair is not the same as replacement, as the OP said he needed (and has now gotten, I see). My insurance company also will pay for repairs, if repairable, with no deductible. And for my last rock chip (pre-Prius), they gave me the choice of repair or replacement. I pay a deductible if I have to have it replaced.

18. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(s3nfo @ Oct 10 2006, 05:52 PM) [snapback]330852[/snapback]</div>
    Likewise for me.

19. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    GREAT I was trying to fix this crack, and i made it worse. Now it actually cracked a few inches across.

Time to start searching for a windshield...

Note to self: Pay someone to fix my crack next time.

20. dmarcus123

dmarcus123 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elmofongo @ Sep 30 2006, 07:23 PM) [snapback]326218[/snapback]</div>
    I believe that my homeowners policy covered damage to a windshield.