1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2007 got rear ended! I am SO proud of my car!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DianneWhitmire, Aug 18, 2009.

1. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Am upset but very proud of my car's integrity - my beloved 2007 Prius was rear ended Sunday afternoon in Huntington Beach. It was a delayed hit and run (she took off 10 minutes into the ordeal) by a girl who admitted she wasn't insured and then took off as I dialed 911. Forget that long story... what I want to say is that my car held together with amazing results.

I got whacked SO hard (45 MPH at least, and I was stopped at a light) that everything in the front cupholders and the small center shelf-compartment that was open flew all over the car and into the back seat area!! The back center console broke off and flipped upwards to the floor. And, my body hurts bad today - the impact of the impact sure hits ya later - I thought I was OK other than a sore neck till today, when I feel like a horse threw me.

I'll post some photos later when I get them off my cel phone. I want everyone to know that they are incredibly safe in a Prius! Even though my car might have some frame damage underneath the bumper cover and I can tell the right side's tweaked because the door seams to the back pass. side door are flush together and that is NOT a good sign... but I need my HOV stickers worse than I need a "perfect" car so I am praying these heat-gun off clean for the new bumper.

My car took the hit like a champ! :rockon: Wish my body had!

2. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ahh that just stinks Dianne. I'm glad you weren't hurt to bad and that you think the car survived.
    I sure hope you got her plate numbers.

3. desertrider2215

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to hear you're ok, the car is always replaceable. As far as the carpool stickers go, I know you can print a form and order some new ones (takes a few weeks). I had to order new ones for mine when they started all peeling off. Good luck!

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dianne,

Very sorry to hear of this. Glad you're OK... well sort of.

Get thee to a doctor and then a chiropractor.

Were you able to get even a partial license number?

5. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope you mend quickly!

6. blippo

blippo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yikes, getting hit at 45 mph that's got to hurt

7. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I got the whole plate.
    I left the rest up to the Huntington Beach Police Department. And, the repairs to Mercury Insurance, my own company. I'll let them chase her. And, her boyfriend's insurance company -- it was his car.

Thanks. I plan a few nights of soaking in a hot epsom salt baths.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Glad to hear you're OK, Dianne.

On an impact of that magnitude, I'm turn between hoping the car's not totaled and not wanting to drive a car after major repairs. If they do decide to total it, I hope you know a good dealer in your area. :D

9. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    LOL!
    Thanks T! HA!
    I think I speak for all HOV stickered owners... I NEED MY STICKERS! I'd drive the car with duct taped bumpers if I had to ... I really would.

I think there is a bit o' frame damage the way the back pass. door is pushed up, but they have some amazing machinery now to pull these things back into place. I'm not ready to give up my car. I am just not. Much as I would sure looove a 2010 with sunroof... I need my car!

BTW: best body shop in SoCal is Bay Cities Auto Body in the Gardena area... I've been dealing with them and referring clients for over a decade. No one can make a car look new again like Dan and his guys!

310-326-3740 is their #. :)

10. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

I'm glad you are ok. You can apply to the DMV to get replacement stickers for your car if the old ones aren't salvageable.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Dianne,

I'm very sorry to hear about your accident.

I'd suggest you be slow to sign off on any monetary settlement regarding your physical condition. As time passes you'll have a better idea regarding the magnitude of your injuries - and if the other car really was traveling at 45 mph while you were at a standstill I'd expect soft tissue injuries to be more than minor. Good luck.

12. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm SO GLAD to hear you feel OK. I do hope you have made plans to see a doctor, though.

I'll try to remember that I've got very little to complain about in my current situation (Again!! Second Prius to be Hit -- Back to the Same Repair Shop, I Guess), as compared to yours.

I'm sure you'll keep us informed. I also hope you'll at least ponder getting a replacement! As much as I loved my 2007 (and I really was attached to that car), the 2010 is a much better automobile. I don't know whether I'll develop the same emotional attachment to the 2010, but I KNOW it is better than my Gen2.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm having a hard time imaging a 45 mph collision that doesn't total it. In which case you can get an new HOV sticker for its replacement.

It sounds like the car did its job, sacrificing parts of itself to protect you.

14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you're OK.

But regarding the Gen II Prius' "safety", you'd have been better off (maybe no sore neck) if Toyota had put active headrests in the Gen II.

15. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Get thyself to the doctor an get that neck checked out! Poor baby....hang in...

16. eschulz

eschulz New Member

I just came out of little rear end collision on Monday. I managed to walk away after an 18 wheeler ran up my rear end at 25-35 mph. I was stopped and waiting to make a turn. The Prius did not fare to well and is probably going to be totaled. But I am happy that I was able to walk away. And the 18 wheeler did not attempt to drive off.
    (I have attempted to attach a photo)

Now....how do I get a new car out of this incident?????
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    wow!

I saw a few pics of the other whacked cars - I'm embarrassed to post my pics. That red car - wow! Thank heavens these cars are safe.... I'm feeling lucky.

18. Vladi_07

Vladi_07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    YES, make sure to not sign off any injuries just yet!

Hope everything works out for you. :)

19. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ouch... It hurts to merely see the condition of your poor baby! Good thing you are OK. But maybe your car could still be salvaged? Wish you and your car all the best and good recovery!

20. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dianne,
    I am glad to hear you are OK. You should definitely see a doctor after this kind of accident though. You may have sustained internal injuries you are not aware of, as others said. Wish both you and your car a speedy recovery!