1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2009 Prius beeps when I turn it off

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by kimbayah, Jan 30, 2017.

1. kimbayah

kimbayah New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I am not a new Prius owner, this is my third, but I am new to this forum. When I turn off my car, with the fob in my pocket, will all doors and windows closed, my car gives me one long beep. It just started doing this a few weeks ago, and it's really irritating. Can't figure out why it's happening. Could it be the key fob battery? I've had the car for almost five years and have never replaced the keyfob battery.

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you put it in Park. In my 2016 model mine beeps of I get out of the car and forgot to press P first. This is my 1st Prius so hang on for other answers.

By the way, welcome to Prius Chat.

Sooner Al likes this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!

RCO, so, you are why there was the Parking Brake recall!
    You should always put the car in Park or turn it off (which puts it in Park) before exiting. :eek:

The issue may be the key fob battery. It is an inexpensive guess to try first, before further troubleshooting.
    You could try your other fob, but it may have the same issue.

The only other awkward thing I could think of is to try & turn the car off with the fob touching the start button. I believe that is how you start the car with a dead fob battery.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

agreed, it's probably the fob battery, especially at 5 years. if not, check the 12v health.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, it was me all along! See, when it's around freezing in a morning and I'm taking her ladyship with me, I'll start the car, put the heater on and leave it running 15- 20 minute before we need to leave home. Then I go back indoors with the key fob in my pocket and a couple of times it beeped at me when I shut the car door and Demanded I set the P, even though the parking brake was set. And they said chivalry was dead!

Y'ALL realise (with a 'z') that the thieves in our area are a law-abiding bunch. The allegation they're all stupid were never proven.

#5 RCO, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the car is already in Park, you do not have to hit the Park button again.

When I come home, I regularly stop, hit Park, & exit to check.get the mail. The car beeps twice and then is fine. I do not go too far away, though.

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, but I don't have an explanation why mine has done it twice. I can only guess that I've accidentally knocked the shifter and/or the park button. Really don't believe I had moved the car beforehand.(n)