1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2010 Prius Causing Me Back Problems!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Steve Cebu, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess I should explain. Yesterday I went on my first really long drive, about 3 hours each way. I had the seat set so I was comfortable in it and drove about 3 hours non-stop driving. I do the same drive in my wifes Honda Fit with no problems.
    My back and rear end by my spine were hurting.
    I do have back problems because I fractured my spine after slipping on black ice and having my spine land on the edge of a concrete stair from 7 feet up. I was lucky I wasn't paralyzed at that time.
    I've driven and owned a few cars since then but for some reason this seat which *feels* comfortable is causing pain.
    I've had similar, but not as bad pains in other cars, which is why I didn't buy them. Toyota Corolla's are impossible for me even as a passenger!
    I really like this car, I like almost everything about it, but I can barely sit up today, not much better than last night.
    I'm a bit worried because I don't know what I can do. I usually have sport seats in a car and those are usually firm. In previous cars, I've tried using cushions, back supporters etc... but they didn't help.
    I know I can't change the seat because of all the airbags and the like. I did not have this problem with the car prior to my long drive. I've had no problems around town either.
    Any suggestions? I mean I am in considerable pain and I'm sure it will go away but how do I resolve this so I can enjoy the car.
    Yes, I have tried adjusting the seat in many many positions.
    I appreciate any suggestions.
    Steve

1 person likes this.
  2. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry to hear this. The Prius seats are definitely not the best. Have you tried the seat cushions with the cocyx (sp) cutout?

3. damack1

damack1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Steve,

I have no expertise to bring to this conversation: I'm admitting this upfront. I haven't ever owned a Prius (I have one on order), haven't sat in the seats, and don't have back problems. Come to think of it, feel free to stop reading now<g>.

I just wanted to ask whether the pain could be coincidental to your 3-hour drive. My mother has back problems, and they seem to crop up for any reason and no reason that she can think of. Sometimes it seems like particular shoes are a problem, sometimes sleeping in bad position, sometimes climbing some stairs... you name it. Maybe it's premature to blame the seats?

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is tough because you say the seats "feels comfortable" while you are using it, so it's hard to tell what part, or angle, or lack of cushion or abundance of cushion is causing the pain.

If this has been a problem for you in the past I'm sure you are aware of the tons of aftermarket cushions, pads, seat cover additions that can be purchased. I'd like to be of more help but I think it's just going to take a lot of experimenting with perhaps all these things, to find the magic combination.

Do you have any idea what part of the seat or what exactly about the position seems to be causing your pain? Lower back and rear end could be either the back cushion or the bottom cushion or both. That makes giving advice difficult. Again, I'm afraid you might have to experiment with "everything" available. There are so many products available along this line.

Back problems are tricky. I tweaked my back 15+ years ago, and mostly it doesn't bother me at all, unless I'm on an long airflight or some situation where I sit for hours. Perhaps the best advice might be to pull and stretch frequently. Because really the problem is manifesting from your back as agravated from the seats.

Good luck, experiment and stretch.

5. jon5506

jon5506 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    steve they sell message balls that covers thee back of the seat as well as the seat

6. web1b

web1b Active Member

It's best to rent one for a day or two first.
    I rented a 2008 last year and drove it for a few hours over a weekend and realized I hated the drivers seat. I also noticed the center armrest made my elbow and forearm sore over time because the padding was so poor that I could feel the hard surface underneath.
    You may not notice things like that in a typical 5 minute or even a long 20 minute test drive.
    I plan to rent a 2010 as soon as one of the local dealers adds the new model to their rental fleet and then I will be able to decide if the Prius will stay on my list of potential next cars.

7. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Have you tried to adjust the lumber support on the seat?
    I have similar problem and I usually set the lumber support to the highest or hardest setting. One more thing, I loosen my belt by one or two notches when I starting to feel uncomfortable on long drives.

8. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Steve, if you can afford it. Go see an Osteopath. They tend to be able to help people with various muscle and back issues.

9. ddtaylor99

ddtaylor99 dd taylor

Model:
    II
    Do all 2010 Prius models have Lumbar adjustment or just the fancy ones?

10. web1b

web1b Active Member

Only Package IV and V.

11. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Steve,
    You might try one of those memory foam seat supports sold in stores.
    The model 2 that you have won't have the lumbar support, I believe.
    Hope This Helps

12. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

I've had back and neck problems for years(58 yo-beat my body up when I was young), and I avoided long car trips because of those problems.
    We do very long trips now-1500 miles one way-26 hours driving-and I arrive pain free.
    How?-I do exercises while driving, and I stop every 2 hours to walk around a bit.
    I also change position every 10-15 minutes-move the seat forward or back a little-change the seat angle slightly etc
    The main exercise is pelvic thrusts-yes, looks weird, and it is exactly what it sounds like.While holding onto the wheel-dig your feet into the carpet-BE CAREFUL- AND THRUST UPWARD ABOUT 10X.Repeat this every 15 minutes- I also do isometrics-upper body-on the steering wheel. At rest stops I find an unobtrusive way to do a few pushups-and put down a piece of newspaper to do a few crunches.

Yes, it is a little "odd" but it works.We-Humans-aren't really built to hold one position for hours on end.Change position frequently-do the lower back thrusts-upper body stuff and crunches.
    It works, and it is free.
    Hope your back is better-luck. I also hunted seats, pads, etc, but eventually all my pillows and such failed me.
    I'm not sure why the exercise works.It might be something as simple as taking the constant force/pressure off the most sensitive area for 20-30 seconds every 15 minutes..Maybe it has something to do with actually strengthening the area, or maybe just activating the circuits that suppress pain. I don't really know-but it works,so....
    Charlie

PS-You do have to be careful to adjust your seat so you can actually safely thrust without your feet slipping-wear grippy shoes-move the wheel upward a bit. Keep your eyes focused downroad while doing the exercise. You will eventually be able to do it as a mindless sort of fidget. I actually do a thrust followed by a sort of isometric crunch. Yeah, sounds funny.

2 people like this.
  13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry about your back problems, but if you can visit a 'Relax the Back' type of store, get some help.

It shouldn't be a great mystery as to what is causing so much problems. It's just a seat after all. Find out what is missing. Lacking lumbar support? etc...

Other than that, hope you can exercise, stretch regularly.

we have this great stretching exercise book -

ISBN-10: 0-936070-22-6

hope that helps.

14. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually when I test drive a car after 5-10 minutes of driving I will know if a car isn't right for me. My test drive of the Prius was about 30 minutes or so. I was comfortable in it. I drive the Honda Fit we have and have driven that 4+ hours with zero problems. I am trying out various cushions in the Prius to see if any help. The problem is my coccyx hurts like all get out. I've been lying down all day to get rid of the pain. I went out for a while testing cushions and adjusting the various settings. I have found through trial and error that the steering wheen needs to come about 2 inches forward and that the bottom of the seat in the Prius is soft and being 200 lbs I sink in further than I should.
    So using memory foam cushions I can get it a bit better but decided to take the Fit out for a 15 mile drive. back roads and highway and did a loop in the Prius first same exact roads everything but with a cushion. The Fit was far less of a problem with no cushion on the same roads, same speeds etc...
    I'm not sure what I can do about it but my tailbone is really hurting me and it's not pleasant. I can't sit up too long yet.
    I need to fix this as I really like this car a lot. But I'm not sure what I can do. The cushion is ok but it's not a great solution because I have to do a lot of long drives, without frequent stopping.
    I'm going to call up some upholstery places and see if they can do anything.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

15. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Well I own the car now and it's such a great car to drive. I also needed a car ASAP. Renting is good if you have enough time. I didn't but figured the 30 minute test drive would be enough.
    I guess it wasn't. :(

16. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Steve, if it's your cocyx, try a donut style pillow (they're sold as Cocyx Pillows). It may sound odd, but it works to take the pressure off and help your lower back too. I had one when I broke my tailbone - it was my salvation and I took it everywhere. I needed it for about 6mos.

17. was

was New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Steve, sorry to hear about your back problem. Don't know if this will be of any interest to you, but I have a truly wonderful and unusual chiropractor in Boston who might be able to steer you in the right direction on making the Prius pain-free. He's not a usual chiropractor at all and he has a very strong interest in ergonomics. I go to him regularly and find him invaluable. I suspect he could help you figure out exactly what the ergonomic problem is with the Prius seat and/or driving position. It seems to me that without that knowledge it's hard to determine the best fix. His info:

Dr. Chris Standring
    (617) 275-9049
    [email protected]
    www.bostoncst.com/html/slideshow.php
    581 Boylston St - Suite 504C
    Boston MA 02116

His fees are very reasonable and often covered by insurance. He always wants to talk to a prospective client on the phone first to see if it seems worthwhile to have an office visit. If Boston is too far to come, maybe there's someone in your area who could help you figure this out as well (and perhaps he knows someone). If you go, I strongly suggest you bring x-rays and other records showing exactly what's going on with your back.

I've been following your experiences as I am strongly considering buying a 2010 Prius myself here in the Boston area. Your unhappiness with the steering concerns me, as I've been driving an Audi A4 wagon for 11 years. Phenomenal steering, handling, and (for its time at least, safety); horrendous reliability and repair costs. I'll be trying to arrange a Prius test drive soon to see how it feels.

Good luck.....

Bill

18. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1 person likes this.
  19. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Just your coccyx-I should have read the whole post, not just the heading. There are lots of gadgets donuts etc that can keep the pressure off it.You won't have to dump your car for this-it can be worked around.
    Years ago I dinged my tailbone-wrestling- it was exquisitely painful for the whole season+ 2 months.I wouldn't have ever thought that something so tiny that is sat on all the time,could be so painful to sit on.
    Get your weight off it-sit on your thighs and buttocks.Maybe use two strips of memory foam to slightly elevate your coccyx -have the foam under your legs butt and your coccyx will just be hanging in the air,so to speak- a bit like a toilet seat.
    I know folks don't like to take meds see MDs, but a steroid injection/mixed with a local would certainly "cure" your pain for now.
    A pair of bike shorts with the gel inserts/chamois might help a little also.

Luck,
    Charlie

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry to hear about your pain mate. :(

Please keep us posted if you find a resonable solution so that others in the same position may be helped by it.