1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2010 Prius only getting 400 miles per full tank. Help!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by lonewonderer, Jul 22, 2013.

1. lonewonderer

lonewonderer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi. I noticed this recently since i filled up my tank all the way to 10 Gallons. After finishing putting gas. The gas meter/Miles left for gas only says between 400 to 410 miles. So why does it went down from 470+ miles per 10 gallons to 400 or lower miles per 10 gallons?? Please someone shed light on this problem of mine.

Thanks
    Chris

Bob Hahn likes this.
  2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The projected range is based on your current ave MPG, it changes/updates as your current MPG changes.

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Chris I had the same issue. I went from 46 MPG to 36 MPG in one tank. Much of the problem with me is my driving pattern changed. Much of my driving is very low miles less than a few each trip. I also blasted the AC. One easy fix was just opening the sun roof and windows and leaving the AC off (unless it is a unbearable day) and that quickly got me back to 50 MPG. It seems the blasting the AC on these short trips just lowers the battery thus allowing the ICE to run which kills the MPG.

Some suggestions:

Check your tire pressure.
    Turn on the AC only if you have to and after the car is warmed up
    If you driving try and get over 5 miles on each trip if possible
    Use ECO mode

Bob Hahn likes this.
  4. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't look at it. Your mileage has nothing to do with the size of your gas tank or with how many miles the car thinks you have left to drive.

JMD likes this.