1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2013 PIP with AWD and a Rear Electric Motor more Powerful than the Rav4 Prime

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by black_jmyntrn, Jul 13, 2022.

1. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well folks, the term i've been using is the "Hybrid Performance Era" and that its starting this year, well already has with my mods then the RX 500h was the nail in the coffin. I cant wait to reverse engineer the new turbo motor to see how they are going back and forth between otto and atkinson... mind blower right?

So I ask you, would you want to make your PIP AWD? The non PIP will not work, the PIPs have the extra ECU which makes this possible. Thing is, you have to swap out your PIP battery for another one that gets your volts up high... I feel like I'm not the only one that should have this power...

Side note, loo at the ground clearance I have on my PIP! 20220423_102124-01.jpeg

2. LeviSmith

LeviSmith Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'll be interested to hear how this goes!

3. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    would you do it to yours? if so, is there a max cost you'd think you'd be willing to spend? Only asking because if folks want it, ill be sure to get it working with others doing the same in mind, else... Ill just make it work for mine and not with ease for others.

4. LeviSmith

LeviSmith Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hmm, I've thought about this for a while... I think the answer is that it's a larger project than I would probably do myself so installation cost would be considerable and simply a rear axle with motor, etc and battery is probably going to cost more than I want to spend...
    Of course, ask me again in the bad part of winter and I might be more in the mood for this project... :)

5. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    not really... let me complete it and let yall know. For now, ill focus on my car and not making it so others can.

issue is the rear motor, I found one good one that's new and they have about 3-4 more but they aren't made anymore. The thought of the size of motor and all other parts being readily available was the concern.