1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2nd HV battery died one week after warranty ended.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Paul.Ivancie, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Paul.Ivancie

Paul.Ivancie Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Such a tale of woe... But this time I'm going to do the battery repair myself. (I am a retired Electrical Engineer, after all.) My buggy has now racked up 265K miles. The original battery lasted 222K miles, and the repair guy swapped my battery out on a Sunday afternoon for $1500, giving me an 18 month parts and labor warranty. Subsequently, I acquired Techstream and cable, and have been monitoring the cell packs ever since. One module pair (No. 8, almost in the middle of the battery) has always been suspect, and sure enough, one of its members was the culprit for this failure. I only own one car, so I ordered two modules from the internet and tried to time my disassembly to coincide with the parts arrival. When the replacement modules did not arrive on the promised day (actually, only the tracking number was issued on that day), and the items were not given to the Post Office until three days later, I found myself with an opened battery and little to do.
    So, I examined the data a little further. I found:
    1. The serial numbers of modules at positions 1, 2, and 7 were substantially different from the remainder, and seemed, at first glance, to be generally healthier than the others (higher voltage). However, #2 module's output fell more rapidly than all others, about two times faster.
    2. As you approach the center of the battery, the resting voltage of each module seems to degrade slightly, implying that the central modules are being stressed more than those on either end of the stack.
    3. The higher stress in the middle theory is bolstered by the Techstream reports that I had accumulated over the one-and-a-half years that the battery has been in service. When the battery was discharging, the lowest pack voltage was found in the middle, and the highest voltages toward either end. When the pack was charging, The exact opposite was true. The weak packs in the middle had the higher readings.
    Based on these observations, I will:
    1. Discard the failing module, which is number 16.
    2. Move the currently healthiest modules (1 & 28) toward the center of the battery, replacing modules 15 & 16.
    3. Replace module 7 with module 15.
    4. Save module 7 for possible emergency substitution in the future.
    Before installing the replacements, I intend to condition them to match the current average, after a discharge/charge cycle performed by my HItec X1Pro charger.
    upload_2016-4-19_20-11-19.png
    The modules arrive tomorrow.
    Any thoughts?

#1 Paul.Ivancie, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should consider reconditioning the pack as a whole to equalize the replacement modules with the rest of the pack, and to maintain the battery at regular intervals to prevent any more module failures.

With a battery of that age and condition, to not maintain it is asking for more trouble down the road.

3. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Before doing a HV battery repair you need to confirm that the error code matches the weak cell. I also think its a good idea to drive the car around the block and see the weak cell in action real time to confirm it's the problem.

The battery fan needs to be cleaned or else in the summer the packs could get hot which could reduce the life of the cells.

I don't see the point of worrying about balancing cells though testing for overall capacity of the cells is worth while.

4. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Nothing is more important than balance. A pack full of brand new modules that aren't well balanced won't last long or will perform miserably for a very long time.

5. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Thoroughly test your replacement modules before installation. A lot of people are selling complete and total garbage with a "guarantee" that they'll hold voltage - which is worthless as a standalone criterion. You may find their capacity is total shite.

Also, you mis-read the serial numbers. For any that list a "1" in the 4th digit, that is an "I" (eye). The 4th digit represents the year of manufacture, so the oddballs are all newer than your 2004 "F" modules.

Once you've confirmed all modules have reasonable capacity, a whole pack balance with the HA grid charger is an excellent idea.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who replaced the battery, and where in the world are you, if i might be so bold?:)

7. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He is only putting in 1 or 2 used modules.

My point is you can't control the balance once its back in the car. The Prius charges/discharges all the cells at once and will self discharge over time when the car is off which will the cells will naturally be right back out of balance in matter of hours. That one time balance likely statically makes no difference in the life of the cells.

8. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    My experience with multiple packs and in-car testing with Techstream is different than what you claim. Healthy modules don't self-discharge much and will discharge at relatively consistent rates, particularly in the ~60% SoC range the car aggressively maintains.

9. Paul.Ivancie

Paul.Ivancie Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have considered buying a grid charger (with discharge capability) but tabled the idea. Now, I guess I'll have to get more serious about it.

jeff652 likes this.
  10. Paul.Ivancie

Paul.Ivancie Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

11. Paul.Ivancie

Paul.Ivancie Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I did drive with TechStream hooked up, and verified the failure. As I said, I have been monitoring that module pair since the new battery was installed. The static testing of the individual modules so far has only involved monitoring them for voltage droop over a 3-day period. I will do more voltage measurements before reassembling the complete battery pack.
    You are right about the fan. Last time, I cleaned it very thoroughly... each vane... until it shined.

12. Paul.Ivancie

Paul.Ivancie Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Look for "Prius Hybrid Battery Repair" in the D.C. area.
    "If you are located within 300 miles of the D.C. area, we will replace your Prius Hybrid Battery in your driveway and have you driving again with a full 12 month warranty on parts and labor.
    And that's not the good news.....
    No need to pay a dealer $4,100.00 or more (plus towing) for the same warranty that we offer
    We can re-build your existing battery with new cables and cells, or replace your battery with a re-manufactured Toyota Battery.
    In addition, we can replace your ECU or Inverter pump.
    We have added the Camry and Honda Hybrids to our Battery inventory. Thanks for your support and referral business. Watch for our new location in Southern Md. We come to you. Please do NOT tow your Prius."
    I live in Southern Maryland. I got an extended warranty because I did the removal and re-installation myself. (And I cleaned the battery cooling fan.)

bisco likes this.
  13. Paul.Ivancie

Paul.Ivancie Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That is just what I observed in my limited sample (my one Battery), as I observed it while driving and standing still in the garage.
    It was my understanding that Toyota maintains the battery between 40 and 80% SOC range. And that was what I thought that I observed when I watched the TechStream display. But, it's hard to keep close track when there is so much changing data to look at. Talk about texting while driving!
    I am a retired E.E. and have considered making a "poor man's balancing system" for the Prius. I started gathering the wherewithal for my project when I got stiff-armed by HItec. They would not give me the USB protocol for their X1PRO charger. I started reverse-engineering it, but had too many other projects to stay with it. My design would replace the top cover of the battery, hook up to all the modules, and do all the discharging and recharging, while constantly blowing cooling air. My control computer would step a relay bank to operate on four widely-spaced modules at a time, using adjacent non-active modules to act as heat sinks. The computer would keep data on each of the modules as it interfaced with the "smart" chargers (that is why I need the communication protocol.) After the modules are all left in their maximum state-of-charge condition, then they would be placed in parallel for sufficient time to allow them to equalize. It is an interesting project, and I may consider taking it up again. I have enjoyed many projects like this over my 38 years working for IBM and Lockheed Martin, and I sort of miss it after retiring 11 years ago.

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What they forgot to tell you is that you probably will not even need the three year warranty that the dealer will offer, as the factory new battery supplied by Toyota contains all completely new modules, unlike the "remanufactured" battery you buy cheaply which will have second-hand modules to replace some of the worst failing modules in a non functioning pack pulled from a vehicle that has thrown HV DTCs.

I'm not saying that going the cheap route is necessarily bad -- horses for courses -- but people need to go in with their eyes open.

So many seem to use price and warranty to compare, but you need to compare apples with apples and not oranges.

You cannot compare a new pack sourced from Toyota with a reconditioned/remanufactured pack sourced from a third party.

Also be wary of dodgy language -- new generation modules/cells does not mean new modules -- just that they came out of next generation car. And then, even this might not be true. We've seen where, so called, "new generation modules" were from a 2004 pack mixed in with the original modules from a 2009 pack.

Caveat emptor, people.

15. Paul.Ivancie

Paul.Ivancie Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I do indeed intend to run the recommended discharge/charge cycles. My charger will calculate the true capacity of the module and will graph the voltage and current of the cycles as they occur.
    Thanks for the tip on the serial numbers. My 70-year-old eyes are not as good as they used to be.
    I was considering replacing my trusty (not rusty though) 2006 Prius when the new Prime Plug-in is available, but I see now that it is only a four-seater. With grandchildren starting to arrive, I don't think that will be enough.
    So, I guess that I will have to seriously consider getting a grid charger for this buggy.
    Thanks again,

16. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You could have purchased a NEW HV Battery from an online Toyota Dealer for as low as $2071. Just make sure the dealer will sell to you. Some will, some won't, some require approval from service mgr. DIY install by transferring the HV ECUs and some other parts from old HV Battery into new HV Battery. Or pay the dealer to do this and install for probably $500; refuse new HV ECUs that they want to install.

Many balk at doing this b/c the car has little to no value. The HV Battery is a maintenance/repair item, just expensive. Would you not get new tires or brakes if this car required it, even though it is worth little or zero dollars?

Something people don't consider is that you could transfer this new HV pack into another Gen2 Prius, should something happen to the current car. You could buy a late model Gen2 w/ a bad battery at a good discount and just install your good battery.

A new HV Battery would likely give you the same usage, more or less, 222K miles. $2071/222K miles = $.0093/miles. Less than one cent per mile!

265K miles - 222K miles = 43K miles on "refurbished" HV battery.
    $1500/43K miles = $.0348/mile.
    3.5 cents/mile.

For a few dollars more, $571, you would still be driving trouble free and not on PriusChat w/ your current problem.

17. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are 6 cells to each module, you can't test them in-car.

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Keith is not claiming to be able to test cells in-car, rather it is modules he can test with Techstream.

19. Paul.Ivancie

Paul.Ivancie Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If I had had that information 18 months ago, it might have influenced my actions for sure. But, I only have this one vehicle, and urgency was a major determining factor. It is now, too. I am chewing my fingernails waiting for the replacement modules to arrive... today, I hope.
    And... I have been following the Plug-In news with great interest. The first iteration was hardly worth it, but the new Prime machine held a lot of promise until I learned of its reduced carrying capacity.
    I have maintained this vehicle aggressively, replacing the muffler with a stainless steel one, front wheel bearings, and both front and rear brakes, rotors, and drums. I have also replaced the dust shield panels under the car when necessary, added a trailer hitch, and EV-activation switch. I like the space that I have under the rear floor for handyman tools (always prepared), and the actual spare tire instead of a repair kit. My steed has quite a few war wounds, dings, and small dents, and the touch-up paint bottle in the glove box has seen its share of use.
    I am quite disappointed with the HID headlights' longevity (or lack thereof), and have changed them more often than I care to admit.
    I recently installed a new garage door opener, and my 2006 Homelink cannot mate to the newer communication protocol. So, I have to use the new remote instead. No complaint about that, though. It's fine.

20. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Are you a fellow IMA victim?

The design of the prismatic modules serves to keep the individual cells well balanced with one another.