1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 53k tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PRIGREEN, Jun 26, 2009.

?
  1. INTEGRITY

25.0%
  2. YOKOHAMA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. NOKIAN

75.0%
  4. FUSION

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PRIGREEN

PRIGREEN New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know what you're thinking. 53k right. Well belive it. I am on my second set of nokian wrg2's. I got 53k on the first set. They are a "green" tire and rated with a severe service emblem too. They're made with canola oil, pretty neat stuff. I bought mine from boulder toyota in boulder, co. The only downside though is they're $750 for the set. Unlike the integrity which i can et 4 for $550. But seeing how i only got 17k on them. It was well worth the extra $200. I was wondering. Does anybody know a cheaper tire that will last me as long? Thanks.

2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First thing, don't buy tires from the dealer...you get bent over backwards on the price. Try Discount or any other independent dealer. Why pay more for the same tire? When these Integrities wear out I'm probably going to go with the Goodyear Fuel Max or the Nokian i3. Only thing about the Nokians is that I have to order directly from the manufacturer because no dealers in the area.

3. PRIGREEN

PRIGREEN New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey thanks for the response. I'll have to check them out. I know of a few other dealers though in the area. I've just had really good service with the toyota dealer. I'll have to look at the good years. But those nokians did really well for me. I like that they're made from canola oil too though

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you like the Nokian then try they i3. They should be cheaper than the WRs and are still "green" as can be. I do not think they are as good in heavy snow but in hard rain I've had no trouble with them.

5. PRIGREEN

PRIGREEN New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok i'll have to look into that. Thak you for your help

6. PRIGREEN

PRIGREEN New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would you know what the mileage is for the i3? I'm going to call l8r for a price. I'm sure you know as well as i do they'll say it gets this much but i didn't know if you had any first hand expeience with them on your prius.

7. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went 53k on one set of tires on my touring. Bridgestone Turanza EL400's.

anyone know how the bridgestone ecopia wear?

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm at over 20k on the i3. I don't know the exact mileage and I'm kicking myself for not keeping better track of that. I'll check my wear bars when I go to lunch today and report back.

If I had to take a guess I would say I'll get 40-50k out of these tires as I've still got a lot of tread left. I drive around the speed limit on average but I tend to corner very hard in other situations (pretty much any curvy country road).

usbseawolf2000 has had to i3s longer than I have so he would be a good person to ask. He's a good guy so I'm sure he wouldn't mind a message to see how they have worked out for him. :)

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked at the treadwear indicators (DSI) on my Nokian i3s and they are as follows:

Left Front: 6

Left Rear: 6

Right Front: 5 (I corner pretty hard)

Right Rear: 7

The tires start off with 8 marks on the tire. See pic below. So other than my oddball 5 I feel confident that I can get 50k out of these tires. :) Maybe...

[​IMG]

10. cvoss

cvoss New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just replaced my original Integras today at 44k. I got the same Integras from Evans Tire for $420 incl alignment and everything. I am already regretting not getting Michelins though. I guy that used to work at Evans told me after the fact that Integras wear out fast. On a related note the guy who changed my tire said my rear strut was leaking. Should I replace my rear struts and shocks soon? I got a quote for the rear struts at Suspension Plus of $375 or something.

11. PRIGREEN

PRIGREEN New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    HEY THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS. I'M HAVING TROUBLE F8L FINDING THE ENVIROMENTAL ASPECTS FOR THE I3. I LOVE THE NOKIANS, NOT TRYING TO TAKE ANYTHING AWAY FROM THE I3 THOUGH. I DID PRICE THEM AND THEY WERE A BIT CHEAPER. BUT I FOUND AROUND TOWN AND EVEN ON THE RACK, IF I BUY THEM WITH THE ADDED WARRANTIES AND SHIPPING IT'S ABOUT A WASH. I LIKE THE FACT THE WR G2'S HAVE THE BIRCH LEAF INSIGNIA WHICH MEANS THEY WERE MADE WITH NON-TOXIC OILS. WITH MILLIONS OF CARS TIRE WEAR HAS TO GO SOMEWHERE. HEAR CHECK OUT THE LINK WWW.NOKIANTYRES.COM MAKE YOUR SELECTION FROM THERE. BUT CHECK OUT THE ENVIROMENTAL SIDE. IT'S REALLY INFORMATIVE. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good catch. I'm not sure if the i3 uses purified oils or not. The only argument that can be made is that the i3 would likely use less fuel over the lifetime of the tire so I'm not sure which tire would end up better over time. :confused:

All I do know is that the Nokian rep said the i3 would be the most fuel efficient in my Mediterranean climate. If I lived further north I would have went with the WR series. :)