1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My $8000 Stolen HID Headlight Headache

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jtaft, Apr 28, 2006.

1. jtaft

jtaft New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I recently posted that my 2006 Prius HID headlights were stolen.

That was 3 weeks ago and my Prius is STILL in the garage. The price tag is now at $8000 (YES $8000) between the parts and labor (I pay the $300 deductible). I have accumulated a $580 rental car bill (so far) and I still need to get an extended alarm ($450) installed so that this will not happen again.

The parts were backordered (including a new hood and lights) so that increased the wait.
    Get this, they (the Toyota dealership) had to rip my whole dash to put a new wiring harness (goes through the entire car and cost $2500 alone) in since the wire was cut by the headlight thiefs. This in a car that only has 700 miles on it!

This has turned into a nightmare between the auto body not knowing how to work with the hybrid technology and the delayed parts that the dealer ordered.
    I will give the auto body credit for fighting for the original factory parts (insurance company estimated way to low) instead of splicing the cut wire and they have done a perfect job at restoring the body but a 3 week wait while gas prices are skyrocketing?!?

The point of this story is protect your Prius headlights expecially if you own a 2006 w/ package 6, 7, or 8!

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ouch! Sorry to hear that. Yeah, Toyota parts tend to take a while. Heck, my new globebox release button took over a month!

4. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatever dealership and body shop you're working with, I hope they are using this time wisely. It's fantastic they're only using OEM parts, though it is a bummer about the wire harness. Perhaps Toyota could redesign it slightly so it's not so expensive if it happens in later models? The inclusion of a pair of $2 connectors could save owners thousands.

Best of luck restoring your Prius to like-new condition, and don't settle for any paint job that's less than OEM quality and color match!

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ouch! To restate, the OP got his HID lights stolen in Quincy, MA. People in certain parts of the US need to be really careful about having HID lights at all. I made a post about it at http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&showtopi...ndpost&p=236254 (also see the link there). The 02-03 Nissan Maximas were VERY popular HID theft targets since HIDs were standard on all trims of all those model years of Maximas [and easy to steal, could be done w/o even opening the hood]. The stock "alarm" that came w/Maximas was useless.

6. wakeman84

wakeman84 New Member

i have been worried bout this also. does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of alarm upgrade to get to preven this from a happening because i know little about alarms. thanks

Mike

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why? Why are these lights being stolen? Aside from putting them in another Prius....what are they good for?

8. Enclenta

Enclenta New Member

Hope you get things solved out... :angry:

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 29 2006, 12:33 PM) [snapback]247254[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure how usable Prius lights are in other cars, but I'm assuming that the ballast and bulbs (at least from non-Priuses) are usable by other other cars even those of a totally different make. I think there's demand amongst the ricer crowd to put on their Civics and Integras amongst others.

As I mentioned before, 02-03 Maxima headlights new cost >$1300/pair (http://www.courtesyparts.com/Mercha...=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=2002HID-PAIR). I don't think some ricers want to pay that kind of price...

10. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What really sucks is that the thieves caused $8000 in damage so they could steal about $200 of bulbs and ballasts. I doubt any of these parts are going back into another Prius, meaning only the bulbs and ballasts are being reused - they're likely going into some POS riced-out Acura Integra or similar.

11. Brian K

Brian K New Member

Rumor has it that a part of the HID light can be used to make a cattle prod sort of thingy.

I seem to remember that the HID light, on the initial lighting gets an 8000 volt zap to get it up to full brilliance immediately.

12. Subversive

Subversive New Member

Is it possible to etch the VIN onto the HIDs in such a way that it may deter thieves?

Would "PIAA Light Locks" be helpful? They appear to be locking 10mm X 1.5mm mounting bolts. What size bolts do the Prius HIDs use?

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Apr 29 2006, 07:01 PM) [snapback]247309[/snapback]</div>
    the bulbs are around $300 a pop new, don't know the price of the ballasts.

but yeah, nowhere near the $8k in damage they caused to get it. bastards. :angry:

14. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Enclenta @ Apr 29 2006, 01:08 PM) [snapback]247263[/snapback]</div>
    I have to say, I think your sig is obnoxious:

--------------------
    For the Newest Auto Reviews with Pictures and More, Visit www.Enclenta.co.nr

It's bad enough to advertise your web site, but do you have to do it with such a large font size?