1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My audio upgrade/build

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Billdozer, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Billdozer

Billdozer New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was hoping to upgrade the audio in my daily driver. I had a few components laying around and decided to go for it after hours of research on whether or not it could be done on this vehicle being a hybrid. I had a few goals, sound quality, completely hidden, no permanent modifications, and access to spare tire if need be. The components are a JL Audio 13TW5V3 powered by a JL Audio JX1000 amp with a Tsunami HCap-5 capacitor..

The start of box build. 3/4' mdf
    image12.JPG

Attached everything with Titebond III and 1.5" screws. Added corner bracing and later box bracing around the seams/joints then sealed with acrylic latex caulk.
    image11.JPG

Attached the top. Used Bondo on the screw holes. Originally planned on painting. Test fitting everything. Its a tight fit.
    image10.JPG
    Decided later to carpet the box to match interior and help seal sub.
    image9.JPG

Attached and wired everything up on the box. Added a plug for easy removal if spare is needed.
    image8.JPG
    In car. Goes in and out. A little heavy but it works.
    image7.JPG
    image6.JPG

Power/ground hooked up. Plug swivels on a screw to make removal easy. Positive attached to bolt on top of terminal by fuse. Cut plastic cover for clearance. Ground attached to battery between terminal. Drilled hole in battery bracket, attached anl fuse block and grinded bolt down for clearance of battery.
    image4.JPG

Remote/High Level & Bass control all removable and ran between battery and box. Cut hose and wrapped around wire. There is sharp edges on the battery.
    image5.JPG

Spliced rear speaker wires, soldered and wrapped with electrical tape.
    image2.JPG

Found empty space in fuse panel that is switched. Used an add a circuit and a 3 amp fuse. Works good other than noise I am having. Don't think this is the issue as I tried the cig fuse (top left 10amp) and yellow 20amp also. I would prefer to keep on an empty circuit.
    image1.JPG

#1 Billdozer, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    adizon and ftl like this.
  2. BillyBuerger

BillyBuerger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Nice build! I'm doing something similar as far as the sub/amp in the storage area there. Mine still isn't carpeted or anything and also doesn't have a false floor yet. Thanks for sharing.

Can't help on the wires though. I ran all new wires from the head unit to the amps and then to the speakers. So the only stock wires I had to worry about were the ones coming out of the HU. Not the ones going to the doors.