1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My baby got violated!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MikeSF, May 8, 2006.

1. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well the inevitable happened, some dummy decided to not pay attention on a 1 lane road with a freeway sound blocking device (aka brick wall) on one side, and fences on the other (ie nothing to stare at!) well long story short he slammed on the brakes after I stopped, I looked in the rear view mirror let loose an F-bomb, got smacked, and let loose another few F-bombs. Btw my car is a month old! I dont' even have license plates for it yet!

Well I got all his info etc, and it doesn't look like there's much in the way of damage, replace the bumper etc, but I'm wondering if there are any prius speciality repair places, or places that specialize in hybrids or something in or around San Francisco, because any other car I wouldn't mind as much, but I'm worried that a regular auto-body shop won't know squat about them, and will just fix the body, I want a fine toothed comb over those electricals though to make sure nothing jarred loose, maybe one of the batteries cracked or something I do not know, something I dont want to find out a few years down the road.

So help... any place you could recommend?

Btw I did go to an auto-body shop and they gave me a 1300 estimate, but still I'll be without my baby for a couple days :(

2. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

LaLoma 7 auto body shop in Berkeley on San Pablo is honest and the work fantastic. I could not recommend them more highly.

3. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

$1300 bucks is a light bump in the back end. Slammed into you is somewhere in the range of having the hatchback and the entire rear end of the car demolished.

You got pictures of this?

4. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had my Prius just 11 weeks when it was "slammed" in the rear. Members of this forum recommended that I ask local Toyota dealers where they have their body work done. One dealer even faxed me a list of recommended shops.

Based on my experience, I'd be suspicious of a $1300 estimate for any collision of force greater than a "love tap".

The body shop that I used was going to have a dealer's Prius technician examine the hybrid system before completing the estimate. The body damage and obvious, visible damage to hybrid components was so great that the insurance company declared the car a total loss before things got that far.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. My Prius protected me and it sounds like yours protected you.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If the car is painted and dried in a heated paint spray booth, the hybrid battery must first be removed in order to avoid future problems.

6. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That shouldnt be an issue here since the bumper should be painted and cured off of the car.

7. Punkinann

Punkinann Junior Member

Yipes. This sounds awful!

Here's a practical question about car insurance--I've always assumed you have to have a VIN and plates to get the darn car insured. So is the month-old Prius covered? And what happens if, god forbid, you're in an accident driving home for the dealership?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MikeSF @ May 8 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]251627[/snapback]</div>

8. kfarad

kfarad Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Punkinann @ May 8 2006, 10:00 PM) [snapback]251990[/snapback]</div>
    My Dealer (City Toyota in Daly City) has insurance for 2 or 3 days until u contact the insurance ppl.

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I actually asked my insurance agent that exact question before i got mine. At that point (obviously) i had told him i was getting a new car and would need coverage on it, yada yada yada. He said the coverage would start on it the second i took the keys from the dealer, even though i wouldn't have the insurance card until about a week after i got the VIN to him.

10. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I had a bumper redone on my 2004 Prius when someone rear ended me. I used Superior in San Carlos, CA and they did a good job, looks like brand new. I've used them for a few accidents in previous cars, and I can't say they are perfect, they cheerfully try to do the minimal amount of work and usually when I go over my car with a fine tooth comb I find some minor thing I need them to correct. But in the end they always come through. I wish I knew a better body shop locally, but I stick with Superior because the devil I know is better than the one I don't.

As far as getting them to check over the hybrid system, unless there is some obvious visible damage I doubt you are going to get any insurance company to cover that. My experience is that insurance companies never cover checks to see if something functioning might be damaged... a couple times I've tried to get them to cover an alignment check after minor unibody damage and never been successful. Note that it's the insurance company that decides this, not the auto body shop.

11. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ May 8 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]251765[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, forgive me for not using correct terminology, even a "love tap" feels and sounds loud when it happens to you. It wasn't a simple back up in a parking lot type collision, but a skid into me as he slammed on the brakes (and it was only a 25mph zone too!) I could get a picture but I'll try my hand at describing it instead since it'll take far less time. The bumper has no cracks (visible) in it, basically looks like the back been scraped to hell, some gouges in the bumper though, and the plastic dohicky around the bottom popped off a bit, I looked under and things seemed fine, there was a particular bolt tab that got bent. The hatchback looks fine (there might be *A* scrape, but I didn't look at it with a fine toothed comb). He was in a VW Jetta so I'm guessing he more or less submarined a tad at the end. Eitherway it's a new car that, with the exception of being in the need of a wash, was flawless so I consider what he did was "slam" besides the front of his car looked much worse for the wear, bumper was barely on, grill was smashed in, headlight completely destroyed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prianista @ May 8 2006, 05:15 PM) [snapback]251813[/snapback]</div>
    I did that and they gave me a card of a Crockett's Premier Auto Body place near the dealer, so I don't know if that was simply a referal or what, but the place I got the estimate looked way to clean to be an autobody place which is good and bad :)

Yikes, yeah as I mentioned before the damage was minimal, so its far from being a total loss. But I might have someone check over the hybrid system with a fine toothed comb (dealership?) since the other guys insurance is going to pay for everything, I'd really hate to get it all back to new condition and then maybe have a hybrid problem down the road and having Toyota's warranty say that it's not covered anymore because I didn't have it checked out when I got it fixed the first time

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 8 2006, 06:14 PM) [snapback]251854[/snapback]</div>
    THIS is the stuff I need to know, thanks for this info, something else I can ask.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ May 8 2006, 09:39 PM) [snapback]251980[/snapback]</div>
    You would think, but if they determine a paint chip missing from the hatchback or something then they'd need to redo the whole back. I mean I would think that they'd have a barcelona red bumper in stock and not have to paint anything :D Looking at the estimate though, I'm finding it awfully hard to read, it has "Panel, rear body" "rapair & refinish" but no cost next to that, Cover, rear bumper, part + refinish, abs, rear energy part, spoiler lower rear, part and adding up all the things that have prices next to them, it adds up in the estimate, but I'm wonder why did they even put those other items on the estimate if they don't need to be redone?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Punkinann @ May 8 2006, 10:00 PM) [snapback]251990[/snapback]</div>
    Well I dont kow in the drive home, although I've been told my previous insurance covers that automatically but I do not know if that's a specific part of a plan or what, I do know once I got home the car went into my garage and I even drove my old car around until I got insurance (I got the car on a saturday so waited until monday to get it). Once I got it, I drove over to the insurance place so they can document the car and I drove super careful grandma style over there too :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tmorrowus @ May 8 2006, 10:37 PM) [snapback]252009[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, yeah I can see that, although the insurance company tends to be a lot more favorable to what you can do when it's someone else's insurance who'll end up really paying the bill (as in my case). But yeah I know what you mean, I've had issues where I've gotten a double flat due to construction workers not properly covering a ditch over a roadway, the company was more than happy to pay for the replacement of the tires but they wanted a copy of my last bill for tires so they can see how many miles I drove then gave me the depreciated value of those tires against it, I was happy (and lucky) since my tires were only a couple thousand miles worth on them. That sucks though about covering a check, only cover what you can see is broken? Well as long as my warranty on the hybrid system doesn't go out I won't mind as much.

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MikeSF @ May 9 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]252198[/snapback]</div>
    I learned that from my service adviser at Keyes Collision Center in Van Nuys, a Prius certified facility, when my car was there this past January. It took him a few days to prevail on my insurance company to pay for the removal and reinstallation of the main battery.