1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My back side window exploded

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by driverx, Jul 6, 2004.

1. driverx

driverx New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am not sure what happened. While I was driving on freeway this morning, my passenger side real window just exploded inward. :cry: Luckily, my kids weren't in the back. Initially I thought I got shot but couldn't find any bullets. Somebody said, I may have gotten hit by a rock, but funny things was that no cars were in front or side of my car.

Well... I figured I will post this, in case it happens to others. Luckily, my insurance will cover but will cost me deductable. Plus, it will take about three days to get the parts. uggggg....

2. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please let us know if you find out the cause of the window exploding. Maybe the shop that is fixing it can figure it out.

Jeff

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Happened to me in a parking lot waiting for the school bus. I called 911 because I thought I was shot at. The parking lot was hard-surfaced but in the back was a gravel lot for trucks to park. It was at least 50 yards away. There was not bullet but the officer did find a small rock. He told me that those big wheels can catch a rock with a edge and fling it with a lot of force. It may have been a truck in the opposite lane.

4. KathyY

KathyY Member

Happened to our '02. The car was sitting on our driveway. I had gone into the back to look at something and when I came back out front I thought the driver's window looked funny. Went over to check and saw it was broken--glass all over the seat and floor. No idea what happened. This was on a Saturday. Glass people came out on Monday. Later I realized the auto up didn't work so called them out. Turned out they had to call Toyota after a couple of hours of trying to fix it. They needed to reset the glass breakage sensor. I had told them about the sensor but they didn't know anything about working with that. Whole thing was under the deductible so I had to pay.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow sorry to hear about the cracking glass... it would seem to me that the glass is a bit more brittle than normal glass or would that be reading too much into it?

i just had the glass replaced in my trvck and car (corolla) and in both instances, a large rock did minimal damage. i cant imagine the force necessary to completely bust out the glass.

then again, im talking about the windshield which is probably heavier glass too.