1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Backup lights are not always sufficient

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by kuahinahina, Feb 14, 2006.

1. kuahinahina

kuahinahina New Member

Often it seems that I'm backing my '05 with inadequate lighting for the situation (NOT while looking through tint or the reverse camera).

When I'm backing along side a wall or solid fence, visibility is fine. It is more difficult to see, however, when there is no reflective surface on either side, such as in a parking lot. :blink:

I haven't discovered a location to hide supplementary lighting, but thought about pressing a couple of spots against each end on the inside of the lower hatch glass. A rubber gasket should separate glass from glass to avoid rattle and seal off the light, but I'm guessing the light will transmit along the plane of the pane and cause that hatch glass to "glow" in the rear view mirror.

Having considered that my aging eyes may be more the problem than the factory lighting, tweaking the latter seems the easier solution.

Has anyone else experienced this and has anyone successfully illuminated the problem?

2. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think the backup lights on the Prius are as good or better than any I have had on previous cars (US and German). That doesn't mean a little more brightness wouldn't be nice.

One easy approach is to tweak the lamps. You might consider the Raybrig R132 lamps from Sigma. They are 27W, where I think the originals are 24W so I don't expect much of a problem from increased heat. It's not like you drive around with them on all the time. See http://www.sigmaauto.com/jdm/prius/prius0405.php and look along the right hand edge about 1/2 way down.

I have no experience with these lamps but have been satisfied with other stuff from Sigma.

- Tom

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Dripps

Dripps New Member

You want to see BAD backup lights....check out what is on the Lexus RX400h. It almost seems like there are NO lights on for backing up and the camera looks almost black. Useless and one of our biggest complaints on an otherwise nice car!

5. kuahinahina

kuahinahina New Member

Obviously, the re-lamp option sounds appealing. If the addional candle power is still not enough, I'll just have to go from there -- probably to be checked for cataracts! :rolleyes:

Thanks all for your help.

Aloha

6. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  7. benighted

benighted New Member

Are you sure those are 24W? It looks like they just use 9 regular white 5mm LED's.
    It probably means that the light output is close or equivalent to the origional 24W bulb.
    5mm LED's usually can handle about 1/2 watt each so I'd say the acutal wattage of the LED reverse bulb is around 4.5 watts. But for $2.99 a pair I say buy them and let us know how good they are. :rolleyes:

8. benighted

benighted New Member

In the future I might experiment with a few star emitters.

Maybe someone(darrell) will have more info about how easy that sort of project would be? B)

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "USHDSTORE" could use a bit of work in the writing/presetation
    department... caveat emptor, I suppose.
    Do mainstream auto parts stores carry decent LED replacements
    these days? I haven't gone shopping in a while..
    _H*

10. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Since I have never used it before, the desciption probably means it is 24W compatible, not that the LEDs consume 24W. I tried to find the detailed spec but in vain. You're probably right since I couldn't imagine 9 LEDs consuming 24W. :(

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Guys -

Please learn from my past experience. There has not yet been a drop-in LED "bulb" module that is anywhere near as "bright" as the factory bulbs for brakes or signals. Bright is in quotes because they CAN be brighter, then you won't appear brighter. I've been building automotive LED bulbs for a bit now, and have determined that the only way to make one bright enough is to build it myself. There is ONE reason why these bulbs can be advertised as "as bright" or "brighter" than the factory bulbs, and yet still appear less bright.

** The reflector system in the vehicle is designed for an incandescent (almost spherical output) bulb. While we can make LED bulbs that output more total light, that is all but meaningless when placed inside the reflector that was not designed for the LEDs. I have many hundred$ of "the brightest LED replacement bulbs available" here that prove my point. Yup, they output more. No, the lights don't look anywhere near as bright. For an LED replacement to work well, the entire optic system needs to be redesigned. As the Prius makes obvious - if you design around LEDs, then you can do great things. But trying to adapt an LED into an incandescent fixture is a frustrating experience at best. And in the modern times, it is that much harder because the light fixtures are molded, and your only access is through that tiny bulb hole.

My advice (that I don't follow myself, but I offer it anyway) is to give up on LED replacements for signal lights and wait until the automotive world catches up to reality. Interior lights are a different story. That I'm working on right now!

12. benighted

benighted New Member

Thanks for clarifying that Darell. I'd hate to have to modify the reflector housings just to get the LED's to work properly. Let us know how the interior lighting project goes :)

13. mouztrpd

mouztrpd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Is it just me or aren't backup lights intended as warning to other drivers that your car is reverse. Not as rearward facing head lights?

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They're used for both reasons. If not to also light your way, how the heck to you safely reverse at night? Get a helper with a flashlight? Ride the brakes? :)

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes... obviously the fixture needs to be designed around LEDs in the first place, and then there's no stopping us.

As for interior lighting, things are moving along pretty well. Stand by for pictures...

Oops, wait. Don't want to derail this thread. I'll start a new thread eventually.

16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  17. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

I would like to get some LED push in style to replace the 3 bulbs in my 02 windstrs 3rd brake light.. do they make them? The ones inther now look like over sized instriment panel lites... :rolleyes:

18. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Niceeee!

It looks like it would lite to car up better!

Ok when do you put them on the market lol

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just as soon as I can figure out how to make them for less than I'm planning on charging!

20. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Would this work only for the main dome light or would it also work as a replacement for the map reading lights? I'd prefer not to tinker with the dome light, especially with the loss of the fadeout function. But reading lights can use a boost in brightness and don't have the fade function.