1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My beef with the Factory Nav system.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 9G-man, Jul 12, 2007.

1. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To be truely honest and objective about the factory nav unit, I must say the problems I find really revolve around the content and search-criteria programming of the POI database. The nav unit itself is really a nice piece of equipment and it's integration into the car is nice.

The problem with POI database is a lack of POI data compared to a Garmin, the way POI's are compiled and the way search results are returned when doing a Spell POI search.
    A Garmin always defaults to returning search results based on what is nearest to your present position. This is the most logical and useful default assumption and helps narrow the results. (And, of course, it also gives you the option to narrow search results around specific other locations if you so choose)

The factory nav returns a name-search result based on the entire region that you are searching, and for me in SE Region 10, is 4 states. The result is a return of POI matches that are 100's of miles away from my present position, and that could not possibly have any relevance to me. And worse, there is no way of knowing this unless you select the POI, select info, and see the address is 100's of miles away, then frown with disgust, select back, back, choose the next one and do it all over again. INSANE.

Also the POI name search results are very "type" sensitive. Looking for a Wal-Mart? With a Garmin you can type Wal-Mart, Wal Mart, Walmart, or even just Wal, and you get the same results. It doesn't matter.
    The factory nav is very sensitive to this and you gotta know how it's in the database or you won't always get the return you want, if any return at all. If the database has Wal-Mart, and you type Walmart, forget about it. Want a RadioShack? Well is it Radioshack or Radio Shack. ?
    Type it the wrong way and you won't get the return you want with Factoy Nav. With the Garmin it doesn't matter.
    So hey, just type "Radio" ... yeah, you get 4 freakin states worth of POI matches to the word Radio to sift through and figure out. INSANE.
    The point is, if the results were based on nearest to your present position that would narrow the results dramatically. But with the programming of factoy nav there is no narrowing down of results, you are just presented the a deluge of returns to sift through.

Let me give a recent example. I'm driving home from a day of hiking with the family. We're hungry and someones suggests we eat at a "Ryan's" buffet style steakhouse. I type in Ryans and get innumerable returns of variations of that word spread out over 4 states. Jeez, lets modify my input, I type in just "Ryan". Again, so many returns, from the whole region, it's overwhelming, but toward the end of the list is "Ryan's" family steakhouse. The first attempt didn't give me the return I was wanting because the search was sensitive to the ' (apostrafy)!!!!!!!!!!!! INSANE. The Garmin doesn't care if it's Ryan's, Ryans, or Ryan.........the result are the same, EXACTLY what I'm looking for, nearest to me, on the first try.

Another example.

4th of July, I'm in a parking lot with family and friends getting set up to watch some fireworks. I haven't had dinner and notice there is Mexican restaurant behind me in the shopping center. How cool would it be to pull up the restaurant in the Prius POI database, get the phone number, and do a bluetooth phone-in order. What a cool idea, and opportunity to put all this expensive stuff to use and conveniently get some carry-out for everyone.

That restaurant, Dos Copas, was NOT in the factory nav database.

When I got home, I checked, and it's in the Garmin !!!!!!!

Furthermore, when doing a POI catagory search why am I forced to make redundant button pushes to achieve an input? If I want gas stations I must select the "automotive" button, the "gas stations" button, the "OK" button, and the "Show List" button, to get the results. With a Garmin I'd push the "gas stations" button, and that is it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Also consider this.
    The factory unit was never meant to be used for POI searches while in motion.
    Enter the Coastal Lockpick. Yeah I got one. But the problem is since the unit was never intended to be used while in motion, if you do a POI catagory "gas station" search, for example, while you are moving, the results give no indication as to whether the returns are ahead or behind you, just there distance from you.
    Not too useful while traveling down the highway. Who wants results behind them.
    A Garmin would give result with constantly updated, relative direction and distance, to your present position, so you can pick the appropriate one.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, the UI could be a lot better and I have the same grievence with the pickiness of what you type in. I think it's fairly easy, usually, to work around the Wal-mart/walmart/wal mart issues as you can do the 'wal' part, select the appropriate city and category and the list gets short pretty quickly. My issue is with the way street names have to be entered. If I have a specific address 952 East Main Street for instance. Sometimes it wants you to put in E sometimes the whole "east", and sometimes nothing at all before "Main". The street I still can't figure out if they want St./street/ or nothing at all there either. If you don't do it exactly right and the "Main" it finds doesn't have the exact house number 952 it tells you you have to select a range. Well hell, I don't want a "range", I want the exact house.

All in all I've been able to work around the biggest issues by searching for easier to enter nearby locations, cross streets, or whatever, but you're absolutely right that the UI could be much more adaptable and easier to use. I certainly hope the next generation's NAV has a more Garmin or TomTom like interface, updateable database (wireless or BT), and, finger's crossed, terrain mapping integrated into the HV ECU to maximize the efficiency of the battery.

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the GPS Nav sucks. I keep my old garmin in the car with me just in case. My Garmin also seems to be more up to date and is cheaper to update with new maps. They need to make a way to make your own update DVD disk for small updates and just buy a new DVD for a new version.

I have a 2005 Prius but I think my database is 2003. My Garmin also is able to direct me anywhere but the Prius says it cannot do it and I will have to use point to point navigation using the map. Usually not a problem but annoying. I think the GPS was an after thought. They should team up with either Garmin, Tom Tom, or Magellan and put in the 3-D maps.

Or even better add the hybrid satellite maps like at Yahoo or Google.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jul 12 2007, 07:42 AM) [snapback]477444[/snapback]</div>
    OOOhhhhh! That would be sweet, esp. if you could turn off/on the various features just like Google Earth...when traveling you could put up the little landmark icons, the National Geographic stuff, etc....just like a little guided tour through the country side:
    "Hey kids, the Prius says that that pile of rocks over there is where the battle of poke dokey was started.", etc. Plus the ability to see terrain with a little perspective would be cool.

5. Inches

Inches Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jul 12 2007, 04:20 AM) [snapback]477419[/snapback]</div>
    Just for the heck of it put in Dos Copas in my TomTom not even knowing where it is and I got back 2 listings within ten miles of each other and over 2150 miles from me!! I picked the first listing and wound up on Medlock Bridge Pkwy. close to Atlanta, GA. Am I close??

6. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inches @ Jul 12 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]477482[/snapback]</div>

Very good. You're in the ball park.........the one I wanted was Hamilton Mill Rd. Buford, GA. (also,just outside ATL). I bet the other one is it. I wish Denso would source the same database as Garmin and appearantly, Tom,Tom.

One thing I have learned from all this just how many Joe's and Schmoe's ride on the coat tails of greatness by naming their little business something like the major chains. And that's also what's clogging up the database with a regional search. CRIMINAL.

7. Inches

Inches Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jul 12 2007, 08:41 AM) [snapback]477517[/snapback]</div>
    I checked the second listing and that on is on Hamilton Mill Rd, There is a BP station close.

I went this morning to get a blood test and tried enter the address of 377 Baldwin Blvd, San Mateo the on board NAVI says the number is out of range. My TomTom One took me right to it and there it was 377 on the door. The range the NAVI is way out of whack like starting with numbers in the 33000 range, NO WAY!!

This NAVI has DVD, 4.7 GB of storage, my TomTom has a 2 GB SD card with all the info. Go figure.