1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My best mileage so far

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by voi9, Sep 7, 2007.

1. voi9

voi9 New Member

So far my best average mileage for city/hgwy. combined is 55.2 mpg. I use cruise control alot and look way ahead for stopped/slow traffic, red lights, stop signs. This way I can take advantage of clicking off cruise control and coasting. Traffic behind isn't too happy but I could care less. I don't know how many times I got flipped the bird b/c I drive the speed limit. I have had the 07' Prius since May 07'. I convinced two friends into buying one each when they keep hearing how good gas mileage I am getting. I must admit that I enjoy trying to learn how to drive the Prius to get the best possible gas mileage.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Learn to pulse and glide and you'll be over 60 if you want to...that's really good for low speed using cruise control. Great job using anticipation for stops...I'm still convinced that's one of the single best things one can do to make easy improvements in FE...that along with going the speed limit.

3. voi9

voi9 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 7 2007, 09:56 PM) [snapback]508838[/snapback]</div>
    By "pulse and glide" do you mean accelerate quickly to get my speed so I can coast as soon as possible?

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(voi9 @ Sep 7 2007, 09:29 PM) [snapback]508854[/snapback]</div>
    Essentially. see cleanmpg.com and look at their driving tips, they do a pretty good job of clearly explaining how to effectively pulse and glide.

5. voi9

voi9 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 7 2007, 10:45 PM) [snapback]508861[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks!

6. brad34695

brad34695 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(voi9 @ Sep 7 2007, 09:52 PM) [snapback]508836[/snapback]</div>

I have owned my '07 since March and recently topped 10,000 miles. I have recently noticed an increase in MPG and I think it may be due to the car finally getting past the breaking-in phase. I am now getting 58-62 MPG each and every tank, whereas before I was in the lower to mid 50's. While my driving techinques may have improved some, I think the breaking-in is a factor. I say it time and time again, running the A/C really lowers MPG. I rarely use it even though I'm in Florida. If you don't have to use it, don't! Good luck!!

Brad
    Tampa Bay

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Be sure to consider an engine block heater to improve that first 5 minute mpg as well...tons of threads on the subject here, but it's especially helpful if your commute is fairly short.

8. doubleex

doubleex New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(voi9 @ Sep 7 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]508836[/snapback]</div>

Sheesh! "Traffic behind isn't too happy but I could care less. " ?? Whatever happened to "The Golden Rule"? There are so many road hogs these days and they always seem to wonder why everyone gets so upset. I think the Prius gets fine gas mileage driving in a manor that supports the traffic around me. If you need to drive slower than the traffic flow for any reason you should continuously pull over and let others continue on.

9. voi9

voi9 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(doubleex @ Sep 8 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]509150[/snapback]</div>
    It's not that I'm purposely driving slow to upset other's. I do the advertised speed limit or 3mph above. It's just that everyone out here likes to drive 10 or more mph above the speed limit and give me an attitude because I am only traveling about 3mph above. Believe me, I don't want to piss anyone off with all the road rage going on. I move out of the way whenever I can but if I am clearly going to be sitting at a red light, I decide to coast up to it instead of speed up to it just to slam on my brakes and sit, and I always drive in the far right lane so traffic going faster can take the middle or far left lane. But even though I do this, people alway's will find something to get pissed off about. That is when my attitude is not caring. I am driving where the slow people should be. BTW, I upped my mileage to 55.8mpg today with some Pulse and Glide driving.
    Now when I take the VIPER out, I don't worry about gas mileage and I don't drive in the granny lane.

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

voi9, I drive *exactly* like you, in consideration of other drivers. Luckily in Albquerque NM, that is good enough and I do not encounter driver attitude.

You are going to love P&G !