1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My best tank ever too.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dmckinstry, May 21, 2007.

1. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, since everyone else has been posting my best tank (okay, not everyone, but several). I guess I'll do the same.

In the spirit of theforce's "Am I out of gas?" I'll tell my tale.

I've been cheating for the last week plus (since Friday the 11th, when my wife and grandson flew out of town). I filled up after dropping them off at the airport, and squeezed as much gas into the tank as I could.

The cheating is in the kind of driving I've been doing. Nothing around Cheney, unless I intend to go out of town as well. Never over 55 mph. Taking longer trips than I actually need to, and taking routes where I can usually keep it down to 41-42 mph. This also includes taking "Sunday drives" to get as many miles on the car as I can before my wife gets back and starts driving it one and two miles at a time. I've been walking to work everyday, except this a.m. It was driving rain and the temperature back down to 35F when I came in this a.m. No pulse and glide though. However, as always I tend to coast to the stop lights or stop signs from a fair distance away.

Anyway, most of the time I manage to keep the MFD average mileage at or above 69 mpg. Much of the time it was at or above 70.5 Right now it's at about 69.5 mpg, and that's down from what it was on Saturday. The weather started cooling off and didn't get above 50F yesterday.

Anyway. I had gone 619 miles when the gauge dropped from 2 pips to 1 pip.
    Last night when I parked the car and plugged in the block heater (another bit of "cheating" is I've been using the heater even during warmer weather) there was 661 miles on the "trip", and the last pip hadn't started flashing. This a.m. when I started the car, the last pip started flashing. Thus, I only got 42 miles on the last pip before it started flashing. I know my actual mileage for that next to the last pip was at lot better than 42 mpg. According to the 5 minute bars, it still should have been well over 60. I know that isn't that accurate of an indicator, but it still couldn't have dropped that much.

The question is, should I push it, just to see if I can manage a 700 mile tank? That's 38 miles away, and I'm carrying a gallon of gas in the back, just in case. I have run out before at only 525 miles, and only 10.5 gallons went into the tank.

My last fillup got over 10 gallons in (I was pushing the fill) and the last pip had just started flashing.

In any case, I may wait until tomorrow to see if it gets any warmer. It's still below 45F at 2:26 p.m.

Dave M.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's cold, I'd fill 'er up. The cold temps is probably what shortened that last pip.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go for it. 40 miles should be very doable and you know your tank can take 10.5 gallons. At 70mpg 700 should be within range and you have your rescue gas. I see nothing to lose.

4. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    700 miles, you want to see 700 miles on the MFD, you really do.

Wayne

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ May 21 2007, 05:28 PM) [snapback]446945[/snapback]</div>
    I'd say "no," only because of the gas can. I'd like to have a 700 mile tank, but for the bragging rights (and nothing else, really), it's not worth the safety risk, IMHO.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Do you really need to see me be green faced? For purely selfish reasons, no! Don't do it! :p

7. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's totally worth it! And while you're in "cheating" mode, you might as well just find a nice level loop of roads with few or no stops and just pulse/glide those 40 miles.

I still laugh at the idea of driving more in order to get better fuel economy though :)

8. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Go for it. I won't care if you run out of gas. Nor will I worry because you have a gallon of gas in the car. As long as I'm not involved in an accident with you.

You may get a rude awakening one day when you find out the fuel-tank bladder has changed shape due to temp and you're screwed.

There's no guarantee you'll be able to draw from that extra gallon of fuel you carry, because the bladder might change shape in a way that requires more fuel before it reaches the pump.

I don't understand why it's a big deal to get more miles from a tankful. We already get more per gallon.

9. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 22 2007, 06:34 AM) [snapback]447259[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Evan (and Tideland too).

I took Evan's advice last night, even though I hadn't seen it yet. Again I cheated and did a long stint of around town driving. I didn't run out of gas. And took the following screen shot at the gas station.
    I watched the energy screen continually to be certain that the engine was still running. I actually did pulse and glide on this part (although I'm never sure whether my pulsing is correct or not).

[attachmentid=8235]

As you can see, the temperature is 37F. I had the overall average up to 70.0 mpg, but a thunderstorm with a lot of rain and hail hit in the last 5 or so minutes and the mileage ended up at 69.9 mpg. The temperature had started off in the high 40s or low 50s. The gas pump shut off at 9.75 gal, but I kept pushing it. Maybe a dozen short low flow clicks, letting the pump shut off repeatedly. I've never had splash back using this approach.

I finally managed to get 10.5 gallons in it.

Darell will probably never forgive me for the wasteful trips, but overall I didn't use much more gas than I did on some trips under 500 miles. I promise never to do it again. I know I won't be able to best it, until I move to a flatter area. These trips involved at least two drops and rises in elevation of about 400-500 ft for each trip. Plus of course a lot of smaller elevation changes. Also, each trip had at least three or four stops before finally returning home. That is engine off for from 20 minutes to an hour and a half.

At least I've proven that my car can do it, and it's not something special about the other people doing it.
    Overall, I'm convinced that if I lived in the (East) Valley area of Spokane and computed to Cheney on a daily basis, I could probably always get 600 mile tanks during about 4 or 5 months of the year.

And for those of you who worry about only getting 40-45 mpg, this a.m. with less than 10 miles on this tank, my mileage is about 44 mpg.

Dave M.

Attached Files:

10. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ May 22 2007, 07:25 AM) [snapback]447291[/snapback]</div>
    Hey. Self reasons is why I did it. I don't have Evan's integrity.

Just the tires. :lol:

Dave M.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ May 22 2007, 07:28 AM) [snapback]447294[/snapback]</div>
    I wanted to stay within a few miles of a gas station. Looping around Cheney involves rises and falls in elevation of at least 100 ft. If you look at the photo, you'll see the bar in the 30 min. range was where I was on a previous uphill stretch part of the time.

Dave M.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 22 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]447334[/snapback]</div>
    I'd trust you not to rear end me. Besides, it's certainly less dangerous than driving a Pinto.

The gas is going to go into the garage for the wood chipper or snow blower. Actually, I may just put it directly into the chipper, since it's outside anyway.

Dave M.

11. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for not carrying fuel inside the car.

I only drove a Pinto once, a rented one in 1973 when my car was damaged. This was during the 1973 gas crunch.

I ran the Pinto out of gas on the NY State Thruway, which probably was the safest thing for that car.

12. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 22 2007, 11:13 AM) [snapback]447417[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, it still is in the car. I just have to remember to take it out when I get home this evening.

Thanks for the warning though.

Dave M.

13. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's a nice looking screen. Well done dave. I bet it was disappointing to see that last tenth drop from your 70mpg, but still satisfying to end like that, I'm sure.

14. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ May 22 2007, 05:00 PM) [snapback]447658[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks.
    Yep. It was a bit disappointing. But, the calculated mileage was only about 66.76 mpg. That's pretty much a rock hard minimum (at least I think it is). I've never tried topping off that much before, so I'm pretty certain the number of gallons used on this tank was less than the 10.5 gallons I put in. I wish there was a way to get a certainty on the number of gallons actually used. Although, that probably isn't really possible with any car.

Dave M.

15. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ May 22 2007, 07:29 PM) [snapback]447778[/snapback]</div>
    Dave, the MFD should provide the most accurate fuel-consumption figure. The system measures fuel flow at the injectors, so it's far more accurate than adding up fill-ups.

16. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 22 2007, 07:55 PM) [snapback]447791[/snapback]</div>
    Certainly, it's more accurate than any given fill-up and probably more consistent through any number of fill-ups. But it still has the possibility of being mis-calibrated. In general, I suspect that the best we can do is a comparison between tank to tank consumption with the MFD for any given car. I'm not sure whether that's going to be consistent with vehicle to vehicle comparisons though. However, I suspect what most people are interested in is tank to tank comparisons, since that tells us whether we've affected mileage by some change in our gas, tires, driving, etc.

However, I do suspect that the 69.0 mpg figure is closer than the 66.76 mpg figure. That's because I "forced" as much gas as I could into that tank. Over about 10,000 miles I've gotten a reading with the MFD that's about 1.5 to 2 higher than the calculated (I don't have the actual figure now). And the 66.76 vs 69 difference is in the same percentage range as the long term calculation.

Dave M.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats Dave, you made it!!

Currently sitting at 55mpg and 6 bars left. I'm at 320kms. No way can I achieve 1000kms+. I'm aiming for 900 though!

18. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 23 2007, 11:22 AM) [snapback]448352[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. And good luck.

BTW, I think I asked this before, but may have missed your answer. Where are you in Canada? How's the temperature now?

Dave M.