1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Brakes are Barking at Me

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by TonyPSchaefer, May 17, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I remember discussing this a long time ago but don't remember that anything came of it. When I'm at a stop, my brakes "bark" at me. Sounds like a soft horn honking and comes from the front-left. Or at least, from where I'm sitting, it comes from in front of me and to my left.

I have tried heavy pressure and I have tried light pressure. Sometimes it happens and other times it doesn't. Lately, it's been doing it alot. I mean, a lot. Yesterday my carpool passenger was looking around asking who the F's honking and what at? That's when I know that it's gotten bad.

Has anyone else encountered this and what's causing it?

2. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 17 2006, 07:44 PM) [snapback]256982[/snapback]</div>

As long as they don't bite you .......... :lol:

3. unruhly

unruhly New Member

Tony, I too remember discussing this issue.
    This is happening at a dead stand still??? Not kosher. Is there anyway you can get someone to stand outside the vehicle while it's happening? (Prefferably a Prius tech in a parking lot!). What happens if you let completey off the brakes (car in Park)? Does it stop? I bet it's the brake accumulator pump system. Sometimes hydraulic fluid can squeal as it passes through a restriction (like a valve) and it can change tone as the amount of pressure increases. Try a few stops using only the E-brake and see if it still happens.

4. c4

c4 Active Member

My car did this at every stop (brake to a stop and then I'd hear a little "toot" like someone just touched the horn) for the first 20-30km after I got it back from the body shop for a rear bumper replacement. They did no work on the hybrid systems or the braking systems at all, they just replaced the bumper and did some frame and body work.

The only other symptom that I noticed was that the 12V battery was very low after sitting in the shop for 2 weeks and drawing a large charge current from the converter, so I suspect the "toot" is likely related to currents in the inverter/converter as it went away after the battery got a decent amount of charge in it.. Have you checked your 12V battery?? Short of taking the battery right out for load testing, I'd suggest a voltage check at the very least and a current check if you can get your hands on one of those clamp-on ammeters..

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The only time this ever happened to me was during the week that my husband and I were in the mountains on a snowboarding trip. It never happened before then nor since. I wondered if it was the cold temps (15-35 degrees F and very low humidity) and short trips (1/2-2 miles). We would stop at a red light, and then hear the light-horn-honking sound and there were NO other vehicles anywhere near us. It would happen every time I was stopped at a light with my foot on the brake while up there, not just every once in a while. :blink:

6. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ya know, the thing is that it's gotten better. It's like it was doing it at every stop sometimes 2 - 4 times at each stop on Monday but today (Friday) it's fine.

Yeah, it's at a complete standstill and ONLY at complete standstills.

7. routeonedog

routeonedog New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 17 2006, 01:44 PM) [snapback]256982[/snapback]</div>
    THANK GOD - I'M NOT CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This same thing happened less than a month after getting the car in Nov. When it was in
    for servicing (5,000mile) I asked the dealer to check. They said nothing happened - no
    cause.

While it happened for a short while after that, it then has completely stopped making that noise.
    Has been quiet now about 3 months.

When it was acting up it would also make noise when I started and put it into park to shut down.

Now I'm not sure whether it was the cold weather or just a "break in" thing. But since your's is
    a 2004 I think the "break in" explanation goes out the window.

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    have still never heard of this...

if anyone around central NC experiences this, DH would love to see what it's about.

10. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for the picture hobbit, but it's not brake rust.
    Ya know, there are times I wish I had a camcorder, I would make a movie of it.

Yeah yeah, I know: camcorders have been out for decades now. :rolleyes:

11. ecprius

ecprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just got back from a long road trip (3,000 miles - CA to CO and back, now have over 50,000 miles on the odometer) in my 2004, and it made the same "barking" sounds on three separate occasions during the trip. It even gave me a "pweeee" sound a couple times (think of the noise a balloon makes when you let the air out by pulling at the stem with thumbs and forefingers). I stopped in a Colorado dealership to have them check it out, but by then it wasn't acting up.
    Everything seems fine now that I'm back home.
    I've made this trip in the Prius before and I don't recall hearing anything out of the ordinary.
    I'll just have to keep an eye .... er, an ear on it.
    - Ed

12. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

I get this with increasing frequency proportional to how cold it is. When the car is cold, and the outside temp is cold enough for a snowflake, every deap stop with the foot on the brake produces a little honk. It also happens if I haven't moved at all, but press the brake down firmly. As the car or the air gets warmer, the noise is more seldom heard.

I follow the theory that it has to do with cold temps and low humidity. I'm in Phoenix, so it is pretty much always dry. That might account for some of the difficulty in tracking the issue. Other areas would cycle humidity more and if that's a part of it, the sound would be more transient. Although, TonyP is in Chicago, and if memory serves, its generally humid there.

13. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think you're on to something, Hawk. in fact, I'd pretty much forgotten about this thread since it's gotten warmer. Good observation.

14. sparkymarvin

sparkymarvin Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

It's been almost two years since I've posted here (I think), but it is good to be back.

I too get the barking from time to time when the car is completely motionless.

I haven't had it in a while, but if I want to try to reproduce the noise I find that if I come to a slow, gradual, and gentle stop when the brakes are cold... And then once stopped... imediatly press firmly on the brake pedal... I can sometimes get the "bark."

Perhaps if you want to attempt to reproduce the noise for a service tech, you can give it a try.

Cheers,

~Andrew

PS
    I refer to the condition as "my sea lion."

15. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Count me in for wanting to know what the hell this is!

No, Hobbit - NOT a rust problem. Not the surging problem (that I also experience that has nothing to do with brake rust). This is something like "chirp." Tough to describe. No feel of it from the brakes, just the sound. My car just turned 2500 miles, and was up in the mountains in *warm* weather when it started last week. The only thing I'm doing different is taking many very short trips (taking my kayak down to the lake, and then back up again. About one mile each way - always on a cold start). It only happens when I move very slowly (under 5mph, and then apply the brakes). I'm actually rolling when it happens. And it is VERY quick bark. Like 1/4 of a second, and it just barks once per brake application. Happened for five days while I was up there, and then after the drive home today... nothing. All gone. Wth?

It is pretty loud when it happens. NOBODY who's near can miss it. But heck if I can ask the service guys since it doesn't do it now that I'm home.

A Sea Lion bark is a VERY good description!

16. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noticed it on my trips up to high altitude locations, such as Big Bear Lake, CA and Flagstaff, AZ. Doesn't seem temp related, since I was up at the former recently and had it occur at ~80°F temps, and other times when it was 35°F (late winter). I found it more annoying than anything else, but note that it only seems to happen in those conditions for me.

I'll pay attention next time it's "cold" here in Surprise, AZ (in about 7 months here). :-D

17. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Jun 27 2006, 08:18 AM) [snapback]277367[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, very interesting. I was at 7,000 feet and mid 80's. Maybe an over-pressured brake booster that bleeds off a check valve in these high-altitude/low ambient pressure situations?

Has anybody ever heard it near sea level?

18. sparkymarvin

sparkymarvin Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes,

I have heard it at sea level (approximately 10 feet MSL), which is where I spend most of my time.
    Also, I have noticed it from time to time in all four seasons. It doesn't seem to be more frequent at any particular time of the year.

It doesn't happen often, and I'm really not bothered by it. It gives the car character.

~Andrew

19. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I too have experienced the phantom "bark".
    My wife & I think of it more like a chicken clucking......but sea-lion (moaning for an anchovie)
    is probably a more apt description.
    We live close to sea level and it's been going on in very hot temperatures (Florida in August).
    I thought for a while it was related to the brake discs being wet (as we get lots of rain down here)
    but it's happening rain or shine.
    My best guess at this point is that it might be binding of the plungers on the front brake calipers.
    I've heard of examples in other (non-Prius) vehicles where shops fitted these plungers with a nylon sleeve
    to prevent this kind of binding. Don't know if this is, in fact, the source of the bark, but I thought it might be something to consider.
    Anyone else have any other ideas?

20. stealthgirl

stealthgirl New Member

My 2006 with 9100 miles has just begun barking too. It started this weekend as I drove around searching for a good park for a birthday party. I'm at sea level in fairly balmy weather.

I can make mine bark pretty consistently by coming to a slow stop and then pressing the brake pedal all the way down. They also often bark when I shift to reverse or park.

I'll bring it up at my 10K tuneup, but I don't feel confident after the dealer couldn't find out why the MFD fails at high interior temps.

Stealthgirl
    2006 Silver Pkg 8