1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My brush with death today

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by rflagg, Jun 3, 2004.

1. rflagg

rflagg Member

When working in Maryland in the college park area, I had to drive through a camera-fitted red light that did the automatic tickets. Not only did I witness one car ahead of me stop at the red light, then creep through the intersection, then drive off, successfully driving through the red light without getting a ticket - but also at that same intersection, I was ticketed for stopping hard at the red light on a rainy day. My car was maybe 2/3s over the stop line, at most. The two pictures on the ticket even clearly show that if I had "run" the light, I would've plowed into a left turning vehicle. I of course never paid the ticket.

Needless to say, I don't get along well with them cameras. :)

-m.

2. twindad

twindad New Member

There was an intersection not too far from me where they were testing the next generation. In addition to the photos and automatic tickets, it would also record an MPEG of you running the light for use in court if need be. Also, if it did detect a signal runner, it would delay the green light to reduce the likelihood of a collision. It isn't there anymore, don't know why.

3. Mike Sarmiento

Mike Sarmiento Junior Member

It's obvious that the rude/idot factor has risen to new heights these days. Driving in SoCal all my life, its apparent that folks really don't care if they're putting themselves along with countless others, at risk while they make stupid manuvers. What ever happened to terms like "Defensive Driving" and "Courteous Driving?"

I can't count how many times I've run into some idot who could have made a safe manuever by simply slowing down instead of hammering on the gas!

Its amazing how many times, these idots are oblivious to the apparent danger they're putting eveyone in as they're yack'n away on their cell's.
    :x

4. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

and then they yell at me because their insurance costs a fortune after a few accidents and tickets...

5. boa8

boa8 New Member

You're lucky guy. Be careful around new moon. All people (especially unstable ones) are over-exited. [​IMG]

You don't have good brakes on any cars in US anyway.
    [​IMG]

6. paulisme

paulisme New Member

While we're discussing stupid drivers, I should mention a disturbing trend I've noticed here in my town. Lately quite a few people have "wised up" as to how the leading green left-turn traffic light works. Sensors in the left turn lane detects how many cars are in that lane is by sensing if there's a car sitting a certain distance from the light. If a car is there, the lane gets a leading green. If not, then oncoming traffic is given the green light and left-turners must yield. Well, these geniuses are stopping their cars way back from the line when they're the first to reach the red light, trying to fool the sensors into thinking the line is long enough to justify a leading green. That irks me to no end that people can be so selfish as to hold up an entire line of traffic in the other lane just so they can drive their one car through a leading green. GOD I HATE PEOPLE!

Ahh, that felt better.

7. rflagg

rflagg Member

What's your rush? In your Prius, you ain't wasting any gas. :mrgreen:

-m.

8. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

I actually really detest the cameras too. They'd be much more tolerable if they were accompanied by the new crosswalk signals, with a countdown from Walk to Do Not Walk. That way, the driver knows exactly how long s/he has before the ajoining traffic light will turn yellow. Without that, those cameras make driving around certain intersections incredibly nerve racking.

9. tag

tag Senior Member

Paul,

1) Glad to hear you're okay. :)

2) I'm sure a few points will make you feel better.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here in Fargo we get a leading green arrow even if there's only one car waiting in the left-turn lane. I can imagine it must be frustrating to have to wait several signal cycles to turn left just because you are the only one waiting, or there are "not enough" cars waiting.

11. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Right you are... You always feel better, snug and warm under a
    [marq=up:c02436723b]P
    of points!

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Woo hoo! 18 more for Paul!

13. paulisme

paulisme New Member

Holy crap! Wow, you guys are generous :) Do I have the most points now?