1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My car did not start this morning. Any thoughts as to why?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jsuh84, Feb 16, 2015.

1. jsuh84

jsuh84 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Earlier this morning when it was about 14 degrees F out, I got in my car to go to work. I noticed there was snow on the windows. In my early morning stupor, I thought it was light enough for the windshield wipers to remove. So as soon as I started my car with my foot pressing on the brakes, I immediately turned on the wipers--it was virtually done at the same time. I saw the wipers start to go up but struggled to lift the heavier-than-expected snow. Then I felt the brake pedal pushing back a bit and that's when the car dying down on me. A bunch of dashboard lights came on while other dashboard lights faded out.. Eventually, everything faded out.

The only light I remember that was on was on the Push Start button.

At some point, within a few minutes as I was trying to figure things out in this panic, I put the FOB key into the slot (it's usually kept in my pocket) and then I started my car as normal. I started up but I noticed everything dashboard light was on while it said my gas was near-empty (It was last seen last full). Here's a picture:

Imgur

(Note where my windshield wipers stop; it was stuck in that position.)

I turned my car back off again. Then I turned it back on and, after a few strange dashboard lights switching on and off, my car started to resume normally. The gas tank was reading as expected.

After a few minutes of making sure everything was working just fine, I drove my usual 30 miles to work and here I am now trying to figure out why..

What happened? I initially thought it was the cold but my car's been through much colder conditions here in Chicago. Did my brilliant decision to use the windshield wipers to remove the heavy snow deplete the car's power?! This is what I suspect, and it probably took some time to recharge everything.

A few specs:
    - 2008 Prius, purchased as new. Regular scheduled maintenance are performed at the dealership.
    - ~116K miles
    - Mostly highway driving

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated as I'm currently looking to sell this car in the near-future.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Probably 12V battery problem. Using the wipers while starting the car used too much power from weak (or almost empty) 12V battery and voltage dropped too low for it to start. If the wipers aren’t at park position they remain on and stopped it from starting.

kenoarto likes this.
  3. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Put your car into inspection mode and assess your 12 volt battery's health and report back. There should be instructions in your owners manual on how to do this or there are Youtube videos demonstrating the same.

kenoarto likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree^^^ all the best!(y)

5. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When cold, my Prius will do the same. I believe that the big relays may not be fully engaging. Did you see a "Ready" lamp on starting?
    If your 12v battery is low on power you will get the funny start condition. If in doubt, change the 12 volt battery.

kenoarto likes this.