1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My car died before Prius arrived

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ymos, Jul 6, 2006.

1. ymos

ymos New Member

:eek: I found out today that my current car is unrepairable. Junk. Kaput. My Prius is still about 3 months away.

Called the dealer and he's got an unclaimed Camry hybrid coming in two weeks that I can get.

Should I:
    1. Wait for the Prius and take the bus
    2. Wait for the Prius and rent a car ($Ouch$)
    3. Consider getting the Camry
    4. Look for a Prius somewhere else
    Any advice or word of wisdom?

Thanks

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Depends on what you want.

The Camry gets less mpg and has less trunk space. It's not a distinctive.

Have you called all of the dealers around you? Have you extended the range as far as you're willing to travel? I'll bet you could find a Prius a lot sooner than 3 months if you're willing to travel a little farther and then drive back. You'll also find one if you're not too picky on color/interior/package.

How badly do you want a Prius?

3. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ymos @ Jul 6 2006, 10:48 PM) [snapback]282367[/snapback]</div>
    #4 is worth trying.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ymos @ Jul 6 2006, 07:48 PM) [snapback]282367[/snapback]</div>

Recently i test drove the camry. I was only in city streets and no highway. I'll go back for a good highway run on my next day off :) Anyways, i was impressed. the steering is better, the audio system is good. the whole thing... very nice. plenty of power and it's quiete and completely seamless (about tie with the 400h)

If i didn't haul larger items all the time in my prius, i would get the camry. I can see carrying a few piece of lumber through that rear seat... "slot" i gues you could call it... but not much more than that.

If you drive decent, you'll get mid thirties to 40s. I also noticed the Eco botton, and a much better cooling a/c unit. better in terrior colors too.. mainly.. dash. cooler car means better mpg in summer time.

5. ymos

ymos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 6 2006, 10:57 PM) [snapback]282369[/snapback]</div>
    I'd rather have the Prius - I'm tired of sedans and trunks. Want the grey interior with a magnetic grey or silver pine mica, package 4 is the right fit, but could go higher.

6. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would look and call around! 3 months is the going rate here in ct.I was on a wait list until one day i saw one prius not taken on another dealers lot.Maybe lucky but ive heard of several other people buying right off the lot.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ymos @ Jul 6 2006, 10:03 PM) [snapback]282373[/snapback]</div>
    In that case, start doing your homework. You should be able to find something within, say, a 300 mile radius. Contact the internet managers through websites. You can get the websites for dealers within your area from online. I think the build your own car on the Toyota website has them. Find your car. Don't go above MSRP. Don't agree to any port options or add ons unless you really want them. Don't buy the extended warranty (if you want it) unless they can match Troy. (Don't mention Priuschat.)

Good luck. If you're diligent and willing to put in the time, I'll bet you find a car within a week.

OH, and don't mention that you're desperate because your car died. Don't mention your car at all.

8. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ymos @ Jul 6 2006, 09:48 PM) [snapback]282367[/snapback]</div>

Nothing wrong with taking the bus.

9. rlongenbach

rlongenbach New Member

Have you considered a gently used Prius?

I got mine from a national used car dealer and paid the $150 to get it transferred. Granted a transfer from farther away is more $$$ but it's worth it.

They have 05s and 06s available. Maybe not with all the options, but still....

10. fatale

fatale New Member

Here is a good question that you can ask yourself.

"Do i even need a car right now?"

There was a good story that i read not too long ago, on a family that decided to try living without a car to see how they adapted. Public transit. Car pooling with others. Walking and Biking.

They did it as more of an experiment then anything, as they lived in a fairly urban area.

I know the chances of this being pratical are slim - but its an option that could save you a lot of cash! :)

You could always buy a used vehicle and flip it in a few months. Try finding a good deal on something that will retain its value for a few thousannd KM's.

You could also look into an autoshare program (www.autoshare.ca here). You just use the vehicle when you need it.

Good luck!

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rlongenbach @ Jul 6 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]282406[/snapback]</div>
    Bad idea. You for sure wouldn't get the $3150 tax credit unless it was new.

I'd go w/option 4 or 3 or consider getting something else that's economical. FWIW, in the latest Consumer Reports, they tested the 4 cyl, V6 and hybrid Camry. Here's what they got for MPG, I'm listing them in the format overal /city/highway.

hybrid (4): 34 28/41
    4: 24 16/36
    V6: 23 16/32

I remember they got on the 04 Prius: 44 35/50.

Back to 4, I'd put down some deposits w/other dealers and also give them more color and package choices. The way my dealer explained it to me is that they get X # every month and the more color and package choices you give them, the better the chance is of 1 matching one of your choices. I waited ~1.5 months for mine.

12. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Jul 7 2006, 02:10 AM) [snapback]282456[/snapback]</div>
    The new car credit will depend on AMT status.

Personally, I'd fax attack or email attack. As said earlier, the Toyota website has dealer email addresses. That was my method back in 9/2004. I was quoted six months in the cities of NM, but received three immediate offers from small towns within a 4 hour drive.

13. mcsj

mcsj Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 6 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]282369[/snapback]</div>
    No offense but, in what sense? I can put two full-size luggage in a Camry trunk but not in my Prius trunk (if I still want my Prius to sit 5 people)

14. troe

troe New Member

Go to toyota.com and build and price a Prius. when you get to the end of picking your color and options, you can view the inventory for the dealers around the zip code you have entered. Try several zips around you and you can see what is in stock close by. There are over 600 on lots in the southeast region.

[​IMG]

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Camry is an excellent car. No doubt about that. But it's a conventional car. It ain't a Prius. If you expect to keep your new car for several years, it's worth waiting for the car you really want.

I'd recommend:

First: try other dealers farther away. Some folks have found Priuses quickly that way.

Second: if you can make do without a car, it would be worth it to finally get the car you really want. I have friends in Baltimore who own no car, though they could afford one. They bicycle everywhere or take the bus. And for those very rare times when they need a car, they rent one. Their motivation is environmental. Whether this works for you depends on your circumstances.

Third: as fatale suggested, see if you can get a used car that would hold its value for the two months until your Prius comes.

If you have your heart set on the Prius, don't get the Camry. You'll be giving up years of Prius for two months of not having the inconvenience of no car. It's not about mpg. It's about the cutting-edge technology. But if you really don't care and you were on the fence between the Camry and the Prius anyway, well then, go ahead and get the Camry.

Personally, I hate sedans. I like the space and flexibility of the liftback. I had myself and two friends and all our luggage in the car by folding down half the back seat.

16. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Buy a cheap "beater" for three months and sell it for about what you paid for it when the Prius comes in. What quantifies "unrepairable"?

17. ymos

ymos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jul 7 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]282548[/snapback]</div>
    Unrepairable = the whole front end is slowly collasping and making the steering rack bind. I can drive it to the store on Thursday and church on Sunday, no highway, no bumps. I can drive it to the wrecking yard any day I want.

I think I'm going to look for a under $1000 beater. I'll probably make a few inquiries at dealerships further away from me as well. If I can't find a beater, I'll take the bus and train....

Thanks to everyone for their input! :)

18. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ymos @ Jul 7 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]282576[/snapback]</div>
    If you have the time/paitence to look around, you really should be able to find a Prius before October. Really. Unless you have a really good reason to wait around for the dealer you're on the waiting list with, you should absolutely be able to find a Prius at MSRP in a very short time frame. Even if you're not willing to venture that far out from Cleveland, I imagine you could probably have your hands on a little beauty in under 2 weeks. . .

19. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 Junior Member

I know the dealer I bought mine from two weeks ago has a Seaside in stock, package #6 near Richmond, VA. They came $900 off MSRP on mine...I would think you coul find one in your area with a little legwork, I didn't have to wait on mine at all...Mechanicsville Toyota...The finance guy there also sells the extended warranties for cheap...I think about $50 less than offered on this forum...I'll wait to buy mine later though:)

20. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Carsdirect.com got me a car the same day I registered. Color (white) was my third choice, but correct option pkg. I had to drive 50 miles to a dealer, but was out of there in an hour inc. test drive. No cost to you, why would anybody wait? Is color really that important? Its just a car, afterall.

Besides, Camry's are like belly buttons, (and Hondas), everybody has one. Do the Prius!