1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Car entered production last Friday

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Duck Dodgers, May 30, 2005.

1. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers New Member

My car is scheduled for delivery August 05 Australia, the dealer is trying to get it changed from Silver to White for me (saw a white one on the weekend HOT) My current car is a peugeot 206CC so it's a big change. The dealer says there is no alarm and no reverse parking sensors available for the car I WANT anybody know how?

2. jeepien

jeepien Member

The OEM alarm is available on all models. A glass breakage sensor is optional.

There's no Toyota backup sensor, but any reputable audio shop could install an aftermarket unit without any trouble.

For more bucks, if you want a rearview camera setup, look at the stuff available at www.coastaletech.com. You can hook it up so that whenever you shift to reverse, the camera view (appropriately reversed to mirror-image) shows on the display screen.

Again, if you're not comfortable doing the install, it's nothing a car audio shop couldn't handle.

3. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers New Member

No White!, Toyota in Australia have declined my request to change the car from silver to white, doesn't matter! I will call them again but they say there is no alarm for the prius in Australia, had a look at the site that's great! I'm installing Euro style number plates so the camera is no good to me but the video interface looks handy! Anything else I need to know?

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeepien\";p=\"94117)</div>
    That's mostly true. All models (packages) have the alarm hardware, but some have it intentionally disabled. It can be easily enabled with the scantool.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guessing they have an engine immobiliser at the very least. All the alarm does is, well, sound the alarm.

6. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers New Member

This is true, several years ago I thought exactly that, it's not just theft of the car but the contents, the car I had with the immobiliser (a sedan version of the pontiac GTO) had many anti theft features however the thief broke my window and slowly went through the contents of my car in broad daylight, the sound I think ensures that the thief has little time to do whatever it is they are doing and hopefully they will choose an easier target. How about some OEM toyota alarm stickers? where would I get them?

7. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"94297)</div>
    That's mostly true. All models (packages) have the alarm hardware, but some have it intentionally disabled. It can be easily enabled with the scantool.
    [/b][/quote]

Scantool? what is this? what does it do?

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, then you want the Glass Breakage Sensor.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The scantool also known as the THHT (Toyota Hand Held Tool) is the computer they hook up to the DLC port on your car to check for codes, change some configurations, reprogram the ECUs, check statistics for diagnostics, and have the car do things for repair and maintenance.

Supposedly, if you don't already have anti-theft alarm enabled with a package, and GBS is added, then a wire has to be removed from driver junction box in order for the alarm enable option to show up for the dealer. The dealer doesn't seem to have to remove the yellow wire if GBS is not installed. Not sure if GBS could be installed AFTER the alarm is enabled, with the alarm still functioning.

10. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers New Member

Thanks Dan,
    I think I need to speak to a dealer about this info and wether they could help, I'll call closer to delivery see if any of this is possible in OZ, thanks for your help

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I just realized you were outside of NA. Not sure how the alarm is implemented over there. I could be all wet about your situation, which wouldn't be hard, considering it has rained hard every morning since Tuesday.

12. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers New Member

Rain? what's that? I live in Sydney where we have entered category 4 water restrictions and no rain in sight! It's been great for me as my convertible is still usable even though it's winter, planning a trip to the states in June so maybe I should get whatever prius bits I want then

13. norman

norman New Member

Hey Duck Dodgers,

great to see another excited Prius buyer.

I bought my Merlot Red Itec last year. I'm surprised to hear that Toyota can't change your order to White.

My Red was a "factory order" and it wasn't until 10 weeks later that it actually got built. Changing from Silver to White is just a change to a field on their online ordering/tracking system. If your car hasn't been "built" yet, I'd give them another try.

White would have been my other option had I not been able to get Red.

Photos of "Princess" here...

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/album_pic.....php?pic_id=726

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/album_pic.....php?pic_id=725

14. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers New Member

OZ OZ OZ!
    It's nice in red, what are your initial impressions? mine's going to be an iTech as well, been reading bad things about the audio, what do you think Norm?

Nice to hear it's not just the Americans who get this car, I had my order in for over a month now and have it carefully synchronised to replace my current car when the lease runs out as this is a company car. As far as I'm aware this is really what has happened i.e the car entered production last friday due here in July for an August delivery.

I have had a string of silver cars and would have been happy had I not seen a white one.I am quite parnoid about delivery dates after a trivetts saga over an A3 that got delivered 2 months late