1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My car has a rubber smell...help!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ladyslipper, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Ladyslipper

Ladyslipper New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Last week I bought a 2012 with 35,000 miles. It has leather interior that was not factory installed. I noticed a smell when I first picked the car up and asked if the air filter had been changed and it had. It took me a day or two to realize the smell was like a new tire. Sometimes it is stronger than others but, it can actually give me a strange taste in my mouth. I went back to the dealership on a cooler day and they did not think it was anything. Driving home tonight it was terrible.
    I Googled this question and found that it could be a problem with the vents for the battery but that it happened on older models, not one this new.
    I seriously can not stand this. Any ideas?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! could be the battery vent tubes, but true, don't recall on gen III. could be a/c vents or clogged drain line. might be worth tearing open the battery fan duct, look in the spare tyre area. sniff around under the hood, under the seats, etc. try to locate the smell. bring it back on a warm day when it's more noticeable keep the windows closed and ask the service manager to take a whiff.

3. Ladyslipper

Ladyslipper New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks much. Everything else I love.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, the smell can be quite nauseating according to those who have experienced it. all the best!(y)

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The spare tire is in the back cargo area under the floor deck. You may have a new spare tire back there.

This being in the cabin with you it would be very noticeable.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The battery vent tube issue has just been on second gen, as far as I know. Our 2010 had no noticeable smells when new, and nothing developed over time. My hunch is some aftermarket addition. I know I've bought made-in-China items, rubber wheel chocks for example, that smelled bad when new. The smoking gun might be that aftermarket leather interior?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gen II's had no noticeable smells when new either.

8. Ladyslipper

Ladyslipper New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you all so much. Last night I removed every piece of rubber I could find. I took out the floor mats, rear deck pad and spare tire. Tonight I plan to wipe the interior down and see how it goes. I got close to the vent in the back and could smell just a little odor. Could you tell me how those vents work? Is there an extraction fan pulling from the car interior towards the battery?

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes. When the battery temp gets above about 96F there is a HV Battery Fan that pulls air from the rear passenger vent and pushes it through the battery and exhausts it through the rear passenger wheel well.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the vent tubes that gave trouble on the gen II were inside the battery case.