1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My car has no battery vent or tube

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Imposter, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Imposter

Imposter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just replaced my 12v battery with the fancy new Optima DS46B24R, but I encountered something weird. My original battery has no vent, or at least there was no tube connected. Furthermore, the hole in the floor where the tube is supposed to go is plugged with a solid rubber plug (i.e. no hole in it). It's as if this car never had a vent for the battery.
    Backstory: I bought this 2005 used, certified pre-owned from a dealer. Even if that wasn't the original battery I just removed, shouldn't there still be a tube or a hole for one? I still have the old battery, if anyone needs me to report more about it.
    So my question is: Do I need to add something to make this safe, and if so, what exactly?

On a related note, I dropped the bolt that holds together the negative terminal connector. Rather than take everything apart again to get it from the bottom of the battery well, I bought a replacement. The new one is stainless steel. Is that a problem, and if so, how do I obtain a correct matching one?

So there you have it, two versions of the same question: Am I going to blow up my family in this car?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. What is the brand of the old battery? The original equipment battery is made by GS Yuasa.
    2. Yes, since you found the hole in the sheet metal floor for the tube, what you will need is the plastic fitting that plugs into the battery, and a length of black rubber hose that will lead from the fitting to the rubber grommet in the floor. The grommet holds the hose in place.
    3. No, it is not a problem to have the loose bolt in the battery well unless it starts to rattle around.

3. Imposter

Imposter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick,
    1. Yup, that's the battery I removed.
    2. There is no grommet. The plug is solid, without a hole. Do I have to go to my awful Toyota dealer to get these parts? EDIT: I see the assembly is part 28885-21010. I'll be able to find it now.
    3. What about the material of the replacement bolt? Will stainless steel react in some bad way, as opposed to zinc coated or galvanized?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think that will be a problem. In any event, a replacement negative battery cable should be very inexpensive, if you get to the point where the connector and cable need to be replaced.

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For the vent tube, all you need to do is get a drip mist 90° 1/4" and about 6" of 1/4" aquarium tube, about $3 bucks of stuff, use a small drill with a 5/16 bit, drill through the plug. You can then insert the 90° into the vent port on the side of the battery, attach tubing, shove through the hole you just made in the floor!
    Done!!!

kenmce likes this.