1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My car has no SKS or SET button under the dash. Does this mean i have no Smart Key Capabilities?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gino Veltri, Dec 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I bought a wrecked 05 prius and have been manually opening the door as the key fob didnt work. Ive chicken danced another fob to work but i noticed there no SKS or SET button under the dash. Does this mean i have no smart key cababilities?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably... The SKS sensors are white and in various places in the car if you do have them.. I think this one by the spare tire is the easiest one to access. Check that spot to confirm:

download.jpeg

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I believe there were no 2004/2005 models with TPMS, so there should be no SET button on any 2004/2005. I may be incorrect, but I think the 2006 was the first year TPMS was available in the Prius

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Again probably. Do your key fob remote buttons work to lock and unlock the doors?

If they do work then what color is the Toyota symbol on the back?

I ask because there are three "parts" to a Prius key fob. 1 is the mechanical key for the door lock. 2 is the rfid chip for the immobilizer system (aka the slot in the dashboard) . 3 is the keyless entry transmitter.

The key is the same type for any Prius and has to be cut for your lock. The rfid chip is also the same, so AFAIK any fob can be programmed to work IN THE SLOT for any Prius. The transmitter is where things are different for SKS vs non-SKS.

SKS cars have a fob with a silver logo on back, and only a new (un-programmed) fob can be added to a car without some special work arounds. (the car ID is stored in the transmitter when it is programmed).

The non-SKS cars have a black logo, and a used one can be added without a problem. The thing to remember is the transmitters will only work on the correct type of car. So if your keyless entry transmitter will unlock the doors and has a black logo then you do not have SKS.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.