1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My car is having trouble adapting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hv74656, Aug 23, 2007.

1. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, so I just moved from Orlando, FL to San Diego, CA and I am noticing some annoying differences while driving, the biggest problem being the concrete road surface on all of the freeways around here. Most roads in Florida are asphalt and do not have the wonderful grooves that the roads in CA have. These grooves are causing my Prius to feel like a shuttle during re-entry when I drive on the freeway. I suspect the cause might be my POS tires (warrior brand, made in china, really cheap, came new with the car). I realized this during a really scary loss of traction on Mira Mesa Blvd. this afternoon (idiot in front cut me off, jerk in back was 6 in away from my bumper, I had to swerve into the right lane in front of a Camry going way too fast and had to gun the engine to avoid being hit by three cars). So my first question would be, can anyone recommend a decent set of tires that will not tramline on the freeway and won't set off traction control during rapid acceleration?

Second question.
    What exactly do I need to do/have to transfer my Florida plates and license to California? The website is a little vague on the details so some firsthand advice would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, driving in San Diego is sooo much fun, especially the city traffic.
    (I say that with as much sarcasm as humanly possible.)

2. ACORNBLUES

ACORNBLUES New Member

Welcome! I used a set of Yokohama AVS dB w/ my Jetta. Of course, after getting rid of tire noise, I ended up w/ engine noise :). Check out tirerack for more info on quiet tires w/ great traction.

Also pls comment on the difference you are seeing in MPG (FL vs CA)

3. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ACORNBLUES @ Aug 24 2007, 12:04 AM) [snapback]501383[/snapback]</div>
    My MPG was actually going up (I assume because of the hills) before today, but I dropped from 48 mpg to 43 after the gun it and slam the brakes session in Mira Mesa. You could never glide in FL unless you had a nice long freeway exit ramp.

4. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hv74656 @ Aug 23 2007, 09:20 PM) [snapback]501388[/snapback]</div>

go to DMV, get a CA License, show proof of insurance, plates will be in the mail. If you don't do it, you'll get a ticket in the mail. Welcome to CA, I'm a Tampa-boy myself moved to Los Angeles 3 years ago. good luck.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you don't have a BT plate, consider installing one.

Pump your tire pressure up if you haven't.

Can't recommend a tire. I still have the original Goodyear's on my car and they're wearing too well to replace yet. (21,500 miles)

6. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 23 2007, 09:55 PM) [snapback]501409[/snapback]</div>
    I've thought about the BT plate, but I doubt that one piece of steel could prevent the sort of violent shaking I get on the freeway (usually at its worst between the 8/805 interchange and the 805/5 interchange going north).

I religiously keep my tires at 40/38. I know that most people on this board do 42/40, but those kind of pressures are too close for comfort to the maximum rating of my current tires.

(Woo, 100th post!) :)

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hv74656 @ Aug 24 2007, 12:15 AM) [snapback]501421[/snapback]</div>
    I've got a BT plate and I've driven both of those interchanges both ways. PM me if you want to test drive my car. The 805 north offramp to Balboa Ave west is a great test of the plate. It won't eliminate all of the crosswind buffeting but it will tighten the car up and help the "leaning".

8. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 23 2007, 10:20 PM) [snapback]501424[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure you would want me test driving your car (young driver, college student, and not yet fully adjusted to CA driving). I think that I'll replace the crummy tires with some decent Goodyears simply because of the traction issues. If that doesn't fix the tramlining as well, I guess I have to try the BT plate. I should have replaced the stock plate when I had the car up on the trailer during the escape from Florida, but that would have made too much sense.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hv74656 @ Aug 24 2007, 12:38 AM) [snapback]501430[/snapback]</div>
    You might try a balance and alignment as well.

A few people are selling used BT plates having moved on to Tom's braces. Do a search and you might be able to pick up a used one at a discount.

And check out PriusclubSD.

10. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Many people feel that you should avoid tires with longitudinal grooves that run parallel with the freeway grooves, that can cause wierd tracking issues. A more "random" pattern, with horizontal tread blocks may work better. That being said, I've lived in California all my life, and have 41,000 miles on the original Goodyears that everybody here whines about. I do have the BT brace and run about 40/30 or so, when I bother to check it. I rotate every 10,000 miles or so. I have never experienced the tramlining that I've herad so much about, and I commute 90 miles a day, on groovy California freeways.