1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Car would not go into drive.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mississippi, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Mississippi

Mississippi New Owner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    this morning, i started up my prius to head to work. when i shifted to drive the car went to neutral.... the dashboard brake light was on, but the parking brake was not engaged. I tried shifted back to park then tried to shift into reverse... it would only go to neutral...
    I engaged the parking break a few times and released it..... it took several minutes of trying to shift to drive before the care finally started to behave......
    the rest of today, it gave me no problems.....
    Any ideas why this happened?
    Thanks

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    are you sure you were shifting into drive and not B. Because it can only shift into B from D.
    Another possibility is that your foot was on the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal.

I figured it out dashboard brake light stays on until you are in Ready, so you must not have been in Ready.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Operator error, misadjusted or faulty brake pedal position sensor, dying 12V battery. See if it happens again.

4. Mississippi

Mississippi New Owner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  5. janice45

janice45 Dudley Girl

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was shopping the other day when this same thing happened to me.I had to shut the car off then restart to get from park to drive . The parking light was also on but not engaged.Hope someone can shed some light on this weird thing .
    my prius is a 2006

6. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Janice45, the symptom you describe indicates that you pushed the Start button and immediately shifted before the Ready light came on. There is a slight delay between Start and Ready. I've done the same thing myself on occassion.

7. janice45

janice45 Dudley Girl

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank You;)

8. milhouse

milhouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My wife is having a simlilar issue with her 2006. She uses reverse to get out of the garage, but when she gets down to the street and goes to put it in drive it won't go into any gear forward or reverse. It's happened a few times now, any suggestions?

9. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    See the above ideas from Richard.

10. milhouse

milhouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm pretty sure it's not operator error, I've witnessed the occurrence.

Of the other two, is that something I can check or is it something I need to take to the dealer?

Thanks!

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have a digital voltmeter, measure the 12V battery voltage after the car has been IG-OFF for an hour or more. If the voltage is much below 12.6V then I suggest you replace the battery (or else try charging it if the car has been lightly driven.) If you charge the battery disconnect the negative cable terminal connector first, and use the low current setting (no more than 4A).

You'll probably need dealer help regarding the brake pedal switch. Or if you want to DIY, find the switch and measure resistance across the contacts when the pedal is very slightly depressed. If the switch doesn't immediately actuate upon a very slight pedal depression then the switch needs to be adjusted or replaced.

The switch has two sets of contacts, one for the cruise control system and the other to operate the brake lights and control when the transaxle can shift into a drive gear.

12. milhouse

milhouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It happened again last night. Going to the dealer tomorrow. $90 just to look at it. :eek:

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is normal practice, the dealer wants to discourage you from coming up with random complaints. If you are willing to pay $90 then presumably you are serious regarding your issue.

If your problem is covered under warranty (i.e., 3 year/36K mile) then that labor charge should be waived.

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A