1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Cat Has Fleas

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by The Electric Me, Mar 16, 2013.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Please don't think I'm a horrible pet owner. But I noticed a few weeks ago that my cat was grooming herself...a lot. But how did I know this was indicative of a problem? Cats groom themselves a lot anyway.

But on a routine vet visit the Vet suggested she might have fleas and prescribed an expensive once a month shot on the back of the neck flea remedy. It has a fancy confidence building one word name like Advantage or Revolution or Jihad. Anyway it proclaims to kill fleas, flea eggs, and flea larvae for 30 days, infact it will kill anything or anyone with the letters FLEA in their name.

Since I had taken a magnifying glass and actually looked at a flea, and realized that once magnified you find that these creatures are akin to microscopic versions of ALIENS....I immediately looked for a tiny Sigourney Weaver, I was happy to turn in a Krugerand for the 90 day supply of super powerful flea medication.

Imagine my disappointment when after application all the addition of the chemical seemed to do was make the tiny Aliens angry. My cat now frantically groomed as if they were launching all out invasion. And I, who had never actually witnessed a flea in my environment now found them attacking me.

Now this is what I find strange. When you mention to a Vet, or "Cat Person" or Vets Assistant that your cat has fleas? You initially get the "Easy Problem To Solve" reaction. But upon further digging? This will inevitably morph. The "just apply this" turns into....

(Embellished only slightly)

#1. Fleas can live up to 90 days without a food source.
    #2. One single surviving flea can instantaneously create 100,000.000.0000 billion hatching offspring, and often these eggs will be planted in your sleep- In your ear canal.
    #3. A flea is capable of jumping from your carpet, cat, or other unnerving intimate area, to a low earth orbit. They can then remain in low earth orbit for weeks before re-entering earth atmosphere to return to your cat and/or lay eggs in your ear canal.
    #4. The makers of Advantage, Revolution or Jihad...only guarantee success if the environment of the feline is simultaneously eradicated of the presence of fleas, ticks, gnomes and fairys. Because if even one is left alive....well you know....

So anyway, with this failure I return to the Vet to admit that the flea remedy doesn't seem to be working.

Well the Vet Tech smiles...."you probably need to treat your entire living environment, which can be done with a can of Super Flea Ease indoor chemical fog. Spray it on carpet, couches, drapes, anywhere the cat has ever been, or has every wanted to be, including France. "

About $30 for the Extra Strength.

I then also get a wary eyed warning about keeping the home clean. Not directly insulting me, but suggesting that perhaps my home cleaning standards were part of the problem. I must vacuum everything...and then light the vacuum cleaner on fire.

So this weekend has been hallmarked by excessive expense. A literally bloody attempt to bath the cat, which resulted in the cat, even though I am working in her best interest, and have spent a car's down payment on her, glaring at me all weekend like I had attempted to kill her. She now sits in the corner glaring like she knows that the kitchen sink bathing was just a warm up for a burlap sack, a rock and the river.

I know she can't understand, but with all I have tried to do? A thanks for trying- would be so much nicer than the now distrustful glances she is shooting me. I was just trying to get the fleas off her...not kill her.

Yeah, the cat seems at better peace. I haven't witnessed a flea...yet. Maybe I've won this first battle. But I imagine the war isn't over.

Something from grade school studies of the Black Plague remind me that it wasn't the rats that carried the plague, it was the fleas on the rats. But I push this thought to the back of my mind as I scratch my calf.

My cat has fleas...which mean I have fleas, and fleas? Ain't Easy.

rufaro and fuzzy1 like this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my first apartment out of college, I won the war in just one battle with the flea bomb fumigation. But I didn't even have a cat, the fleas came from either the previous tenant, or a nest full of eggs had been sucked up by the 'carpet cleaner' machine from another location and redeposited into my apartment. Considering how all those little hatchlings sprang up in just a couple days, a few weeks after moving in, the later is a strong suspect.

When the SO and I bought a house and adopted cats, the war took much longer. It was many months before we found bites around our ankles, then a careful cat inspection revealed flea poop, then actual fleas. Modern back-of-the-neck treatments had not yet been invented. We ended up with repeated flea sprays and flea baths for the cats, daily flea combing that sometimes extracted close to 100 fleas among the two cats, flea bomb fumigation of the house while we left (and took the cats with us), and eventually a couple rounds of carpet spray treament (Detrol?). After that, full time flea collars.

We use the neck treatment now, mostly Advantage. But last week we discovered a store-brand version at Costco, which appears to be equivalent to Frontline Plus. $20 for 6 months.

The Electric Me likes this.
  3. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Flea bombs in the house... (worked at a vet clinic in my college years) cat after treatment may need to be out of the premises and flea-free before back in. I feel for you - for every flea on a pet there are 10 in the environment.

And after treatment, another is needed three weeks later to take care of critters that hatched.

The Electric Me likes this.
  4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whatever you do, DO NOT use flea killer for dogs! It's deadly for cats.

OceanEyes, The Electric Me and fuzzy1 like this.