1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Coastal ETech EV stopped today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by priussoris, Jul 30, 2007.

1. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Well I purchased the EV mod this April it lasted 3 months approx. at first it just would not go in every now and then, and I do not use it all the time, but went to use it today, and nothing tried about f our times.
    Nada, zilch,zero. nothing happened did not get the deny screen. just will not engage.

anyone else with the coastal e tech ev mod that failed?

I am going to email Dave, I did meet him at Hybridfest hopefully I can get a replacement or a refund . $56.00 bucks for 3 months is not worth it. Since it is not used on a daily basis.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Be sure to double check your connections, sometimes those taps have 'iffy' contacts and just need to be replaced or redone.

3. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Double checked all the crimp on connectors and the pin 27 all good n tight
    I have noticed a little drop in mpg and battery not going full blue but to 6 bars only. I removed the ev mod and drove the highway a short distance as normally do, and have gotten a full blue soc.

I don't know if there is a connection there are not but I will keep an eye on the mpg went from 53 to 50 mpg
    in a matter of a few weeks when it started to act up(ev mod) Thats why I asked Hobbit about brake regen , I thought it had stopped working even.

sorry so long but another thought ... If the coastal e tech mod goes south, can it draw power from the HV ECU or cruise?
    I do use cruise a lot.

just a thought

Craig

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no way the coastal mod malfunctioning could affect your mpg. Remember, it's simply a momentary switch for the EV mode enabling...all the circuitry simply allows that momentary switch to be activated by the CC.

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

I did not think so. but better to ask than not.
    The SOC still seems to be a question however, not sure what or how if any power loss from HV ECU could happen since the cruise wires are tapped into it there. if a diode would fail and allow the voltage to reverse?
    then go back through the coastal mod.

I am now getting full blue on the soc, so I will drive it more today cause this little bit of driving does not constitute a full test or evaluation .
    I was just worried about the Nate problem since this has been acting strange for a couple weeks and now totally quit.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Mine has done the same thing in that I pull the CC stalk and nothing happens (not even a beep). Once in a great while it may activate, which comes more of a surprise to me when it does. I've had it since February '06.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jul 30 2007, 10:13 AM) [snapback]487429[/snapback]</div>
    Again, there is no way the Coastal mod can be drawing power from the HV ECU or causing any alteration of your SOC. More than likely you're seeing a transient phenomenon due to weather, gas, AC use, driving conditions, etc. Unless you're seeing dramatic swings in SOC down to 1 pink then up to full blue or green and back down again for reasons that make no sense at all you shouldn't be worried about your battery.

Also, Nate's battery issue was not related to his EV button...he'd had problems for a long time. The regional rep simply tried to use his EV button as an excuse to not cover the battery replacement under warranty. Also, you'll note that he's experienced similar issues even with his new battery and no EV button suggesting that it may be related to something else (?Inverter, wires, Batt ECU/HV ECU??).

--evan

8. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Never been down to 1 pink only 2 purple bars but it goes back up.
    Good to hear it has nothing to do with it, I am sure it is the weather or ? I am going to install another when Dave sends out the replacement, ( hope he covers it under warranty)

thanks Evan

Craig

9. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Spoke with Coastal ETech today and they are sending me out another unit :)
    The customer service seems to be improving there :)