1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My computer resets

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TorontoSusan, Nov 15, 2005.

1. TorontoSusan

TorontoSusan New Member

Gonna have to take it back to the dealership - I've finally figured it out.

When I start the car and edge out of the garage, the computer mileage goes to 20+, 40+ 60+ and then 99.9 and then goes back to where it should - all in the span of about 5 seconds or so. Always happens when I first turn on the car, and usually again when I do my first stop at a stop sign .. and then it never does it again for the rest of the trip. It does it even if I'm not moving, which is why I finally got that it's resetting itself.

I'm only at 1400 kms, and I'm scheduled to take it in for its first oil change at 3000 so I'll tell them about it then.

2. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

why would you change oil at 3000 km?

3. TorontoSusan

TorontoSusan New Member

that was the first oil change - (ok, am I being stupid ?)- dealership recommended it, and I thought this site did too.....?

4. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Toyota recommends 5000 miles, ~8000km. If I had to go in every 3000km (1800mi), I'd be going in once a month for service!

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Keep driving the car and give it a chance to fix itself. Keep away from the dealer as long as possible, and change the oil at 5000 miles.

6. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Toyota recommends changing oil every 5000 miles that would be about a bit over 8000 km

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds like you've had a few issues with dealers?....I'm curious.. is it just the hassle, or have they left you worse than when you came in?

8. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

as far as you r computer resetting itself, I don't think it is doing that. I think the car is warming up and you will see the numbers all over the place and that also makes sense with the first stop you make since the car is still warming up and even if you are not moving the numbers would also vary a lot since the car is warming up. I think this is a normal behaviour.