1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My coolant control valve is on the way, i have some questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GeorgeMW, Oct 6, 2017.

1. GeorgeMW

GeorgeMW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The coolant control valve stopped working on my 07 prius a week ago, i will be able to repair it in 10 days, but can i drive the car safely in the meantime?

also, Could anything happen to the car if i drive it in the meantime?

The check engine light, comes on because of this, but not all the time, sometimes it doesn't come on, why does it not come on? could it be because the coolant control valve works at the time the check engine light doesnt come on?
    i mean, does the part work when the check engine light doesnt come on? or did it not come on (several times) without any reason?
    Thank you in advance

#1 GeorgeMW, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You can drive it, had my check engine light come on for nearly a year before I changed it out.

2006 Gen 2
    2014 Gen 3 v wagon

m.wynn and GeorgeMW like this.
  3. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not a performance issue at all. The only real symptom is very random lack of cabin heat. If it's not a state inspection fail in Ga., you could ignore it indefinitely.

Raytheeagle and GeorgeMW like this.
  4. GeorgeMW

GeorgeMW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it has lower overall MPG, is it because of this part not working (properly)?

5. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In general, I'd say no.

If the car is always short tripped (5 or 10 minutes max), then assuming the valve is stuck in a way that prevents the warm coolant from the thermos into the engine loop, this scenario could impact warm-up to hybrid mode enough to make mpg loss noticeable. Otherwise, and given your warm climate, mpg loss would be close to unnoticeable. Since your CEL is random (normal for 3-way valve failure) I'd guess a substantial mpg loss is due to other circumstance(s).

Did you rectify your issue from this thread?

Generation 2 prius engine running on high RPM and other problems... | PriusChat

This is the type of issue which yields real mpg loss.

#5 m.wynn, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. GeorgeMW

GeorgeMW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    that old issue has been fixed, the new MPG loss comes from that coolant valve, as i have seen the lower MPG AFTER the check engine light (of that valve)